Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

just had my last cig (i hope) support please.

Hoping head is in right place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Brought the kids to school and didn't buy any. Now have to head in town to meet a friend for coffee. This should be fun.:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fzzdunlop

i really cant give up smoking , i like it to much. I have been smoking since i was twelve and i am 28 now. i dont think i can give up. nothing seems to work for me. i cheat on myself every time i try. any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 verycrazy

Hi.Im 3 weeks off them tomorrow and loved smoking.I mean everything about smokin i liked.I still do.Ive been promised somethin special off my other half so thats wats keeping me going .Set yourself a goal or every time you want one try put it off til tomorrow.Thats how im gettin thru but i suppose were all different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elishevadpw

Has anybody heard of a stop smoking method using laser?

I found this article and I was wondering if this method is effective.
    http://www.stop-smoking-tips.com/stop-smoking-laser.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Jerry - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Twenty Four Days, 12 Hours and 48 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 18 Days and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 5331 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €2,182.74.

So far so good...still going strong....
    missus has joined me and is now approaching 3 months off them herself.
    She's using the lozenges and finds them good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Off them 3 days.
    Taking the patches but finding it bloody hard...:o
    Im feeling extremely hot and bothered and perspiring a lot.. is this normal?
    This forum is the dogs though.. Great to think so many have given up. Every time I crave one (approx every 5 mins :pac:) I find breathing deeply really helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

I'm on Day 3 now. Using the nicotine patches and finding them very good. I only get maybe 2 cravings a day especially the morning cause im so used to my tea and a cigarrette. Have been thinking about giving up for a while and finally decided i would on Sunday. I can't believe how unsupportive some people are. Saying things like : "Are u dying for one? You must be. You wont last." Some people just don't like to see other people doing well, they prefer to keep them down to make themselves feel better. I know it will be hard but i'm going to give it everything! Good luck to all who are quiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

I'm about 6 months in. Loopy's deep breathing is a big one for me and thinking about how much healthier I am than I was. I was playing soccer to try to use the improvement but that fell apart, now I'm jogging (which I hated for years). Any exercise really helps with the cravings. I replaced my smoking breaks at work with short walks with an mp3 player. In times of extreme pressure I cut myself some slack with some nice food or a few beers, but you need to watch that it doesn't become habit forming. Best of luck to the three dayers hang in there. Imagine the weight thats lifting off your chest each day you hang in there. Fair play to ye.

Jerry - Free and Healing for Nine Months, Sixteen Days, 13 Hours and 28 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 20 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 5791 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €2,373.58.

Thats 289 days off the smokes and all weLl so far... Roll on a year`!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shotcaller

Just wanna brag a little bit here, hope y'all don't mind.

In 6 days I will be off the smokes 3 months! :eek:

Haven't put on weight by training for the DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I went to the shop to buy cigarettes at the weekend and my son was with me, he didn't know how much they cost and when he heard E8.45 he couldn't believe it and he was so angry!.. he ran to my daughter and said 'Mam is buying suicide for E8.45 a pack..' I was soo embarrased and I immediately gave them up. I have been off them now 4 days... and I have to say that I haven't found it too hard (yet!!) the first night I had to totally avoid the kitchen as everytime I went in I ate something but I have stopped that now. Sometimes feel angry for no reason but other than that no major withdrawal symptoms thank god. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Am building up to quitting next Monday. This is about my 10th time to try. The longest I lasted off them was 3 years. Stupidly began again about 4 years ago while in Spain. Since then I've been trying pretty much every 6 months. Definately need to give them up though. I've been smoking since I was 14 and am now 29. Add to that the substance abuse I put my body through for years and I reckon I'm fairly unhealthy.

Fingers crossed this is it for good :(

Am building up to quitting next Monday. This is about my 10th time to try. The longest I lasted off them was 3 years. Stupidly began again about 4 years ago while in Spain. Since then I've been trying pretty much every 6 months. Definately need to give them up though. I've been smoking since I was 14 and am now 29. Add to that the substance abuse I put my body through for years and I reckon I'm fairly unhealthy.

Fingers crossed this is it for good :(

Would be worried about being down going into a quitting attempt. Need to be energised rather than worried about failing. Turning a craving into exercise worked for me cos it gives an endorphin boost that kills the cravings. It might reduce your worries about the general state of health as well. Best of luck with it, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Cheers DJ. You're right. Positive mental attitude along with replacing cravings with other things, especially exercise.

Jerry - Free and Healing for Ten Months, Two Days, 15 Hours and 6 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 21 Days and 7 Hours, by avoiding the use of 6133 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €2,515.26.

Still going strong....If I see a year then I reckon I will never again touch them...Was previously off them for 5 years before I caved in so will never restart if I can get over the 1 year milestone...:)

Free and Healing for Eleven Months, Six Days, 16 Hours and 37 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 23 Days and 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 6834 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €2,806.94.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Lol... I bet u would murder a cigarette now! ;-)

Off the ciggies Eleven Months, Fifteen Days, 10 Hours and 21 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 24 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 7009 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €2,879.77.

:D

350 days down...Nearly a year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

Off the ciggies 3 days now Woo Hoo, lol.

Have done this before through the Alan Carr book and day 3 (today) is always the worst for me. Congrats to all of you who have been off them a long time. My longest was just under 2 years but I had that fatal "one".

Hopefully not this time. Keep your fingers crossed for me guys. Daisy x.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

what remedies can i get with a medical card?

Yippee!! I'm a year off the cigarettes today...:D
    Decided last budget date that I wouldnt give Lenihan 50 cents extra per pack...

Jerry - Free and Healing for Eleven Months, Thirty Days, 10 Hours and 3 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 25 Days and 7 Hours, by avoiding the use of 7288 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €2,996.45.

Congrats Jerry, inspiration to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

hi everybody , im new to this forum stuff. decided to give it a go as i gave up smoking four days ago. so far so good , de most difficult moments so far for me is in times of stress , if having a disagreement about something etc... i decided to just go cold turkey. my fitness is terrible and i used to be really in to sports and very fit in my early twenties even though i smoked back then. i wud luv to take up some new sports just 2 try for fun and that but have always held back because of my smoking habit and lack of fitness and because of this my confidence so hopefully now ill have a new lease of life.

tony1980 wrote: »
    hi everybody , im new to this forum stuff. decided to give it a go as i gave up smoking four days ago. so far so good , de most difficult moments so far for me is in times of stress , if having a disagreement about something etc... i decided to just go cold turkey. my fitness is terrible and i used to be really in to sports and very fit in my early twenties even though i smoked back then. i wud luv to take up some new sports just 2 try for fun and that but have always held back because of my smoking habit and lack of fitness and because of this my confidence so hopefully now ill have a new lease of life.
    It's no harm to bear in mind the smoking actually adds to the stress rather than taking it away. Mixing quitting with fitness training is a great idea, throwing the energy of cravings into a jog or cycle. Definitely will see a pick up in confidence with the quit/fitness. Started running 4 months ago (3 times a week) after never thinking I ever would run and am finding the stress levels fall. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 emigrant36

Just quit three days ago (again!!) Well done to everyone above, and thanks for sharing the stories of quitting. My longest was 18mths off the damn things... hoping to really last this time. Am eating like a horse but I figure I can have 'losing weight' as my new year's resolution rather than 'giving up the fags'....

here goes!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

Still off them since October 3rd, hope your all doing well off tem too. First 3 weeks were difficult enough but plane sailing at this point. That said always have to be mindful, as those little suckers can sneak back up on you ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

in day six off the smokes:D whoop whoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Heres my tuppence worth; Ive been off them for almost 6 months ( 24 weeks next Sunday ).I made about 4/5 attempts for 6 months prior to that..so the process to date is a year. I cant say its been easy, especially with the recession and life in general, but its really worth it. Ive experienced a lot of benefits and the best is ahead of me. In hindsight theres a few things I would have done differently .. heres a few tips that Ive learnt along the way.

1. Make a plan on how you are going to reach milestones like 3 days, 1 month , 6 months and focus on getting to each one of these. Do take it one day at a time, but aim for and have a strategy for these milestones as its encouraging when you reach them. Part of my strategy was no drinking beer for the first 3 months.

2. Read supportive literature each day..ie Alan Carr or whyquit.com. Whyquit.com is especially good as you can read an article each day rather than dipping into a book. This helps with brainwashing against smoking.

3. Along with lots of water, eat lots of fruit and veg each day ( or juice if you have a juicer ) ..much better than multi-vitamins and will help stop you eating junk and putting on weight, along with replacing lost nutrients.

4. Get some gentle exercise everyday, walking cycling or swimming, especially for the first month.

5. Be prepared not to go to the pub for quite a while. When you do, just concentrate on having a drink without smoking rather than having a 'good night out '. I stayed in for months, which was really boring and tough, but the pub will always be there and so will your friends. Quitting is worth taking temporary back seat for.

6. If you have been smoking a while ( I was 20 a day for 20 years ), it can take a while to adjust,healing can be a slow process for some. Dont worry if your expectations of super health aren't met immediately, just focus on taking each day as it comes and getting to your next milestone.

After 6 months cigarettes smell disgusting, and I can imagine they taste only worse. When I see people smoking it looks so alien, I just cant imagine why they do it. If I was to go back on them It would require a lot of effort to endure those fumes. Its awesome that I can feel that way, I used to love smoking. I'm confident about reaching a year :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

gave up in new year thanks everyone for all the tips im on the patches so i hope it works, fair play to those lads above who done it mid year it must be hard all the best:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement