Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I quit 3 weeks ago today. So far, so good. Went the first 2 days cold turkey and told myself if I could last the first 2 days, I would buy the patches. Some days I forget the patch and I am fine but I went for a beer on Friday with my girlfriend and forgot it and we were home by 12.30. I got the worst craving since I quit so I was either have an early night or buy cigarettes (luckily she is understanding). I find the patches amazing. The first time I tried to quit I lasted less than a day. I usually don't even think about smoking with a patch on.

I thought work would be a tough test but it is surprisingly easy, I stick to the same routine, I just don't smoke. I had an e-cig for the first 10-12 days but I stopped using it to try and break the little "habits". I knew I had to quit after getting bronchitis twice in 2 months (I'm only 25). Not worth having that damage done at this early stage in my life. I am fairly proud of myself so far, as are family and friends but I know there will be tough days ahead. I will enjoy reading everyone's experiences on here and using the positives to my advantage.

God luck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

Back at work post holidays. No slips, no cravings.

I think this time around (second time using Champix) I have the missing ingredient, being a strong desire not to smoke tobacco. I can never recall feeling like this (that is knowing that I don't want to smoke because I don't want to smoke as opposed to because I 'can't' smoke).

Also doing things now that I could never have contemplated as a smoker (gym programmes in particular).

The only thing I havn't really done is gone for a serious night out in the pub with some heavy smoker friends. I've decided to quit booze for a few weeks though as its not consistent with what I'm trying to achieve elsewhere in my life so that won't come up for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My hardcore smoker sis & her husband read Allen Carr there a few months ago & came off them. To be honest, seeing her off them was the first time I'd ever considered quitting. I've been smoking nearly 20years and had absolutely zero desire to quit prior to that.

So I read the book and was all excited & "quit" only to last 6 hours. I actually think I would have done it if my husband was going to quit with me and if I'd gone around telling people and actually thrown my tobacco out. So I don't think I was fully committed to quit, I really should have re read the book if I was having doubts.

So going to try the e cig from tomorrow. Know of another couple that are off the smokes ages after doing this. Another guy I know quit completely after using Champix, and I know several who managed it with gum, cold turkey etc.

Moral of the story is I have to find what works for me and the e cig seems the most likely so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Mink wrote: »
    My hardcore smoker sis & her husband read Allen Carr there a few months ago & came off them. To be honest, seeing her off them was the first time I'd ever considered quitting. I've been smoking nearly 20years and had absolutely zero desire to quit prior to that.

So I read the book and was all excited & "quit" only to last 6 hours. I actually think I would have done it if my husband was going to quit with me and if I'd gone around telling people and actually thrown my tobacco out. So I don't think I was fully committed to quit, I really should have re read the book if I was having doubts.

So going to try the e cig from tomorrow. Know of another couple that are off the smokes ages after doing this. Another guy I know quit completely after using Champix, and I know several who managed it with gum, cold turkey etc.

Moral of the story is I have to find what works for me and the e cig seems the most likely so far.

It's no good to read the book but completely disregard what it tells you! It says to throw away your tobacco etc. Sounds like you subconciously didn't really want to quit. Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 YESHUCKSTER

Mink wrote: »

Exactly right - find what works for you - I tried Champix, Patches, AC Book and in the end I found a solution that was based on Nicotine lozenges / mints and the occasional e-cig. Am off them now over 9 months and it's the best thing I ever did after being a heavy smoker for nearly 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Ill never forget my last cigarette, got sick everywhere. ...

Just went straight into withdrawal, and it worked for me because im a bit stubborn and in the end I was sickly looking, pasty and my work was being affected.
    I had a physically demanding job and was having chest problems. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Exactly right - find what works for you - I tried Champix, Patches, AC Book and in the end I found a solution that was based on Nicotine lozenges / mints and the occasional e-cig. Am off them now over 9 months and it's the best thing I ever did after being a heavy smoker for nearly 20 years

Fair play, are you still on the lozenges/e cigs.

Well I've been off the smokes since Thurs afternoon so that's nearly 4 full days. Longest since I was maybe 15! The e cigs are taking the edge off. I'm already worrying about getting off them!

But have to take it step by step first, it's amazing that I'm off the smokes this long even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

4 weeks off them today ... Using Ecigs. Was smoking 9 years ... Since I was 14.

Is severe depression, anxiety and irrational emotional outbursts normal when quitting with an e cig :o I'm literally a one woman crying and anger machine!

(Although quitting while starting a new full time job certainly was a grand idea :rolleyes:)

I'm hoping to wean myself off the electronic cigarette soon ... Judging by my very bad reaction so far though I'm going to take it really slow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I had some anger issues on the first few weeks too but they disappeared after week 4-5. I quit cold turkey.

Entering week 9 today. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭gifted

7 years this coming January, started with the patches but would smoke at certain times of the day and would buy a 10 pack on the way home, would smoke 4/5 of them in the evening and would then wet the rest of them under the tap so would not be tempted the following morning. Done this for about a month and gradually cut out one cig a day until I was left with smoking about 3/4 a day and then asked myself if those 3/4 cigs were in control of me and I said no.

Hardest thing I've ever had to do was stop smoking, people who don't smoke have no idea...keep trying people, it's so worth it when those little white bastards have no control over you again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭SilSil

Quit this crap as soon as possible! Go go guys, I wish you all the best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

9 days since i had my last cig.

Previously the longest i would have lasted was about 2/3 weeks using champix, but i found the side effects disturbing.

Using the ecig this time, so far so good, its not the same as a cigarette but its 75% as effective. Ultimately i know your not 'clean' until your off the nicotine, but i find its a useful tool to allow you to break the habitual side of smoking (ie steering clear of smoking areas at work). I have been pleasantly surprised how easy it has been to make the transition.

When i make it passed the 6 month mark il be confident enough to change my Avatar away from a smoking Humphry Bogart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

4 weeks off them today ... Using Ecigs. Was smoking 9 years ... Since I was 14.

Is severe depression, anxiety and irrational emotional outbursts normal when quitting with an e cig :o I'm literally a one woman crying and anger machine!

(Although quitting while starting a new full time job certainly was a grand idea :rolleyes:)

I'm hoping to wean myself off the electronic cigarette soon ... Judging by my very bad reaction so far though I'm going to take it really slow!

Yes it can be, everyone has different reactions to quitting but I went through two to three weeks really off colour although on strong ecigarettes.

It appears that nicotene is only part of the problem of addiction to cigarettes, it is more complex than that and seems to vary from individual to individual as well.

Stick it out on the e-cigs or whatever works for you and after three weeks it seems we turn a corner, then we can decide whether to continue using the substitute or not. People do not get addicted to patches or Nicorette gum and I am realising that I am not that addicted to e-cigs as I first thought in the first few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Attempt number 2 starts. In the summer I got to about 2 months off them. Going cold turkey, posting as part of commitment.

Good luck.

I've made it to this point, most of the day. I notice my body and mind trying to work in tandem to get me to reward my non-smoking with a smoke!

It's funny when you look at something like this: I say to myself 'I am in control. I control whether I put a smoke in my mouth so there should be no fear of doing so.'

But what happens is the mind doesn't go down the straight-forward path; it is very cunning and tries to convince itself not to 'not have a smoke' but to view having one in a more positive light, as I said the reward mentality. I'm sitting here patronising myself so it's funny.

Doubt I will have one today.

Good job. Since you've been here already you know it's going be tough for the next few days. I remember those inner chats, they used to be so regular. Now not so much but still happen. Then compliancy is the bitch.

I've made it to this point, most of the day. I notice my body and mind trying to work in tandem to get me to reward my non-smoking with a smoke!

It's funny when you look at something like this: I say to myself 'I am in control. I control whether I put a smoke in my mouth so there should be no fear of doing so.'

But what happens is the mind doesn't go down the straight-forward path; it is very cunning and tries to convince itself not to 'not have a smoke' but to view having one in a more positive light, as I said the reward mentality. I'm sitting here patronising myself so it's funny.

Doubt I will have one today.
    Ya hit on something there, the reward system, do something and then a cigarette break, we often substitute the cigarette break with a sweet break and put on weight.....funny how we condition ourselves...:)

Good luck with it man and remember you have the single most important thing to get you off cigarettes....the will to do so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ckeog11

Hey guys, been smoking for 8 years now, finally gonna roll up the sleeves and kick the habit for good. I was thinking of buying an e-cigerette as friends were saying that they're the best for helping you quit. Anyone have any preference of brands or does it make any difference? are they all the same?

I would recommend staying away from the cig-alike kits is garages and elsewhere....low quality and high price for what you get...

Try something like this:
    http://www.vaperus.ie/starter-vaping-kits/389-evod-protank.html

or this:
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm

I tried the cig-alike about two years ago and hated them, tried one of the kits I have linked to above and have been using it for 9-10 weeks now and will never return to cigarettes again.

Not a bad idea to read as much as you can about just how bad cigarettes are for you while doing this as it helps also, Alan Carrs book or google, there is a transition period as your body adjusts to not having a zillion chemicals put into it everyday but the rewards of not smelling like an ashtray, being able to breathe, smell, taste again.....:D

If you do choose to go down the e-cig route check out the sub-forum on vaping here and ask questions, there are people in there who have been using e-cigs for years and have come across pretty much every glitch and problem that can possibly happen........and good luck whatever method you chose to quit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I'm nearly 48 hours without smoking and I'm going cold turkey. There are moments when it's tough and I'm just tempted to get in the car and drive to the shop, but I'm determined this time. I think the fact that I made it through the first half of the first day without caving proves to myself that this time I am determined. Hopefully once tomorrow is over, that'll be 3 days off them, and that will be the one of the hardest parts over and done with. My mantra is that "I'm not smoking today". And I just keep repeating that. I haven't told anyone that I'm giving up yet, I want to get past day 4 or 5 before I start telling people, so until then, this forum will be my accountability!

Great stuff :D. Well done.

Hang in there, 3 days and you are clean. Build on that. Once you are over your first week you'll fly by.

I'm off them 12 weeks, cold turkey and not a puff. You can be helped through the hard moments. At the start, there are many. They fade over time.

Hang in there :)

Thanks! I am determined this time, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time for now, and as you said once I'm past the first week then I'll fly by

Take it one hour at a time for now. Every hour you don't smoke is a good hour. They all add up. You can do it. :D

I'm on the morning of day 4 and doing so much better than expected this time. I do feel more determined to quit than I ever did before, so I think that's helping. I'm really looking forward to telling people now that I'm off them, because for the first time I actually believe that I will stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Well done mariebeth, I'm off them 9 months now and like you it was like a switch in my head that said stop now!!!!
    That feeling of meeting someone and being able to say I DON'T SKOKE ANYMORE is brilliant! Keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jane Doe72

Well done Mariebeth would love to give them up just trying to build up enough courage to do it best of luck to you:)

I did slip up recently but I knew I was heading for another a go and having read allenn carr the last two nights and finished it last night I kinda did the self-hypnosis while reading and am a non-smoker.

Funnily enough, the first time I quit, in the summer, before hearing about allenn carr I used to just say to myself 'why would I want a cigarette? I'm a non-smoker' whenever I thought about it. Worked really well for 2 months or so.

Anyway feel good about this. The most memorable thing from allenn carr is actually the line 'Don't Doubt Your Decision' because it has been stopping me in my tracks every time. I find it very resolute and helpful.

I'm reading Allenn Carr as well, I started when I was well in to day 2 of stopping smoking, and it's given me the resolve to keep going. Thanks to his book, I have answers to all those doubts in my head. Wish I'd read his book a lot sooner.

Jane Doe, if you want to give up smoking, read Allen Carr's book, it will help you give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Congratulations to all of you for giving up. I have picked tomorrow as my giving up date. I am just sick of having this awful habit. I am 38 and it's time for me to stop as I feel now the effect it is having on my health I suffer with sinus problems and every time I get a simple cold I suffer badly I always end up with bronchitis. I have 4 children and want to see them growing up.

My problem is I haven't fully decided how to do it. I was gonna use the electronic cigarette but don't want to become reliant on it My sister is off them 11 months and still has the electronic cig constantly in her hand. Would I be better going cold turkey and just have the electronic cigarette as a back up in an emergency where I am banging my head against a brick wall. I have downloaded the Alan Carr book so will read that too I know people who have had great success with it.

Wish me luck I hope to post back in a few days with the beginning of my new healthier life !!

Advertisement