Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The different ways into teaching?

Options
  • 05-12-2003 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Can anyone help me with some info/advice here please.
    Im interested in teaching at Primary level or Sec level with English/geoghraphy/religion as subjects.

Is it possible to get into teaching through an arts degree. How many yrs is an arts degree (3/4)and would I have to do a Hdip afterwards aswell for sec teaching. What if i done the Arts degree and wanted to get into Primary teaching.

I know theres a course specifically for primary teaching. Can anyone enlighten me as to what college this is. And how many yrs is that. (3/4)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Is it possible to get into teaching through an arts degree. How many yrs is an arts degree (3/4)and would I have to do a Hdip afterwards aswell for sec teaching.

It is possible, many ppl do so.

3 or 4 years - usually 4 only if you go abroad for one year.

Yes, the HDip is a one year course.

As for primary school, I know little about that - there's some place called Mary Immaculate college or something, in Limerick and a bunch of other ones - why not google it? Or try looking here: www.daycourses.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you do an arts degree to get into primary teaching you can go to St Pats and do it,
    Think the course is 18 months long,
    Arts degrees are usually 3 years and to get into teachin you would have to do a hdip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Maxthedog02

Do you still need Honours Irish for Primary teaching? Or was that changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

AFAIK, if you want to teach in the south you either need honours Irish or to pass the teachers Irish exam.

Advertisement