Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaks higher than 147...

• 05-12-2003 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how many people, or even who, have/has made a break over 147 (i.e. free ball on first shot gives maximum possible break of 155).

I think I read somewhere that Steve Davis got 148 once, and that's the closest anyone's ever been.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

There is a story of a player who had back to back 147's
    He got the first, fluked off the break and made another. Ill find out who it was in work tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I don't think anybody has ever got more than 147 in a competition.

I do know for certain that Alex Higgins did a 16 reds total clearance in a competitive match. His break only totalled 146 though. I read about it about 10 years ago in the "Guinness Book of Sporting Records". At the time it was the only 16 reds total clearance ever made in a competivive match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

John higgins was the man who made back to back 147's this year i believe it was too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ger seems to be talking about successive frames (probably in an exhibition match). John Higgins two 147s were in successive tournaments (possibly even in successive matches, as his first was in a final v Williams and his second was in an early round).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Ger seems to be talking about successive frames (probably in an exhibition match). John Higgins two 147s were in successive tournaments (possibly even in successive matches, as his first was in a final v Williams and his second was in an early round).
    I'm fairly sure John Higgins made back-to-back 147's in successive frames in a match this year, but that's all a bit off topic anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by DMT
    I'm fairly sure John Higgins made back-to-back 147's in successive frames in a match this year, but that's all a bit off topic anyway.

No, his 2 maximums weren't in successive frames, but they were in successive matches which is a record for tournament play. Great record, I doubt that'll be beaten for quite a while.

(The 1st was in the final of the LG Cup against Mark Williams & his 2nd 147 was his 1st match in the British Open against Michael Judge.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

As for the highest break ever it appears to be Wally West's 151 that he made in 1976 but I'm not sure if thats in a Pro tournament.

BTW I found that out here.

I'll have a look around to see if I can find anymore info during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Higgins, Alex that is, in 1980/81 made a 130 in a frame, fluked a red straight off the break and went on to make a 141 in that frame, but thats the best I can offer.

Advertisement