Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom self install with PhoneWatch update...

• 06-12-2003 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was told by eircom that the only option open to me as a PhoneWatch customer was to get an engineer install for Eircom's broadband offerings.

I griped on about being discriminated against by being charged more than non-Phoewatch customers, not fair, etc etc.

So yesterday I received an e-mail and here is an excerpt:

hello hugh
    If you went for the broadband you would not be able to get the self install
    option.
    You would have to get the engineer install of 169 euro but we give you 10
    euro off per mpnth rental for 12 months.

So, this would appear to leave me with an effective installation charge of 49 euro? Not so bad - I don't have the time or inclination to do the Redshift mod (see elsewhere in this forum). Can anyone corroborate this?

Thanks,

hC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

There are many cases of broadband working even if there is an alarm connected, it's up to you if you want to chance it, if you are going to get broadband either way you could just try the self install and if it doesn't work either do the mod or get the engineer install after. Just play dumb with them on the phone if you need the install after all.

Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by hughchal
    So, this would appear to leave me with an effective installation charge of 49 euro? Not so bad - I don't have the time or inclination to do the Redshift mod (see elsewhere in this forum). Can anyone corroborate this?
    Just go and read their price list on www.adsl.ie If you do the self install, they are currently (until December 31st) waiving the connection fee of €99, and the first months rental. (worth about €153.45, including VAT)

If you get a technician install (€200, including VAT), they are waiving €10/month (plus VAT) for the first 12 month which amounts to about €145 (including VAT).

So a technician install still costs over €200 more than a self install.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You'll save money in the long term. What's the problem?

Originally posted by kif
    You'll save money in the long term. What's the problem?
    What long term? It's only €35/month (plus VAT) for the first 12 months. After that it reverts to €45 plus VAT ( or whatever eircom are charging in 12 months time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Just go and read their price list on www.adsl.ie If you do the self install, they are currently (until December 31st) waiving the connection fee of €99, and the first months rental. (worth about €153.45, including VAT)

If you get a technician install (€200, including VAT), they are waiving €10/month (plus VAT) for the first 12 month which amounts to about €145 (including VAT).

So a technician install still costs over €200 more than a self install.

The adsl.ie site is so appallingly designed that even now, I can't find their price list.

I don't understand your arithmetic. I realise my figures were wrong, because I didn't take VAT into account for the engineer's fee.

OK so 200 euro( engineer + VAT) , minus 120 (12 x 10) looks like 80 euro to me. Not 200 more than self-install surely?

hC

• Advertisement

The adsl.ie site is so appallingly designed that even now, I can't find their price list.
    Go to www.adsl.ie, scroll down to What does eircom broadband cost? and click on "our special offer".
    I don't understand your arithmetic. I realise my figures were wrong, because I didn't take VAT into account for the engineer's fee.

OK so 200 euro( engineer + VAT) , minus 120 (12 x 10) looks like 80 euro to me. Not 200 more than self-install surely?
    Your logic is right, but your numbers are wrong (so were mine).

With Self install, they are waiving the first months rental (€54.45) plus the connection fee, so that 1 full years BB will cost 11*€54.45, or €600.16

The technican install will cost you €165 + 12*€35, plus VAT. €707.85

So the technician install is costing you €107 euro extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

This is funny, because I heard the same story from Eircom with my monitored alarm. I eventually went with IOL and they told me the same story as Eircom, except they said that you can have an engineer if you want one. I requested one but the guy never arrived. They gave me the self install kit (they always send the self install pack a couple of weeks before the engineer is meant to come out) and I hooked everything up, and my connection kept getting dropped. I rang IOL support and they said that it was due to the monitored alarm. I was not convinced of this, as I imagine that if the monitored alarm was a problem, then it wouldn't work at all. Anyway, I bought a new modem/router (which I wanted as I have a PC and an Xbox), got online and my connection hasn't dropped since. The problem was crappy IOL hardware. I rang the alarm company and they said that all modern alarms have the technology built into them to deal with BB. The difference with my situation and yours is that you have Eircom hardware. Still, if you know someone with a good modem or router, borrow it and try it with your self install pack. You never know, it may work perfectly well, and like me you may save yourself 100 yoyo's.

Go to www.adsl.ie, scroll down to What does eircom broadband cost? and click on "our special offer". Your logic is right, but your numbers are wrong (so were mine).

With Self install, they are waiving the first months rental (€54.45) plus the connection fee, so that 1 full years BB will cost 11*€54.45, or €600.16

The technican install will cost you €165 + 12*€35, plus VAT. €707.85

So the technician install is costing you €107 euro extra.

Sorry to be pedantic, but your arithmetic is still wrong.

All figures INCLUDE VAT in the following:

11*54.45=596.95

10 euro off per month
    12*10=120

engineer=200

total:

596.95 -120 + 200 = 678.95 for the first year.

???

:confused:

Sorry to be pedantic, but your arithmetic is still wrong.
    No it's not. Did you bother to read the eircom price list that I pointed you to?
    All figures INCLUDE VAT in the following:

11*54.45=596.95

10 euro off per month
    12*10=120
    Apparently not. You just added 11 months (including VAT) and subtracted 12 months of discount (without VAT). If you just want to pick numbers from different pricelists and add them together, you can probably come up with any answer you want. It won't correspond with what eircom will bill you, though (they'll only use one price list).

If you get the engineer install you pay 12 months at (€45-€10) +VAT (that's not the same as €54.45 - €10) which is €508.20, and you pay €165 + VAT (€199.65) for a total of €707.85

You don't get the first month free with a technician install.

No it's not. Did you bother to read the eircom price list that I pointed you to?

I bothered, but there's an error in your link.
    If you get the engineer install you pay 12 months at (€45-€10) +VAT (that's not the same as €54.45 - €10) which is €508.20, and you pay €165 + VAT (€199.65) for a total of €707.85

You don't get the first month free with a technician install.

I've looked all over the bleedin' site, but I can't find any reference to PhoneWatch. If you refer to the first post in this thread, you can see that the message I got was far from unambiguous...

• Advertisement

I bothered, but there's an error in your link.
    No there's not. I linked to www.adsl.ie, and there's no error in the link. And there's a heading "how much does eircom broadband cost" right there on the front page. And the link in that section has a plain listing of what all the different options cost (with eircoms typical confusing technique of quoting a mix of exVAT and incVAT prices on the same page)
    I've looked all over the bleedin' site, but I can't find any reference to PhoneWatch. If you refer to the first post in this thread, you can see that the message I got was far from unambiguous... [/B]
    How unambiguous do you want it - if you want to be sure it'll work, pay for the technician install. If you want to take you chances, go for the self install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

theres still an error in your link.... try www.adsl.ie instead of www.adsl.ie, :p

Gee, I haven't gotten to be the thread smartarse in ages :D

Advertisement