Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer freezing

• 06-12-2003 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I put a computer together for the first time about two weeks ago and in gereral it performs well but it freezes the odd time when playing a game. I think there may be programmes running in the backround how do I sort this (I have been lookin at task manager) or maybe it gets too hot I only have a cpu fan. Any suggestion to sort this would be of help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

is it only when playing a game? and is it only when playing a specific game? it could be temperatures perhaps you could download a piece of s/w which will allow you to monitor the cpu temps. some system specs would be useful also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

One fan? new CPU? its the heat. leave your case side open get more case fans check the temp of your PC with some monitoring s/w.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the signs are pointing very close to overheating mate get some temp montioring software and see what the temps are.

surelay you should have some case fans?
    if not buy some they are essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Well I have the power supply fan and the fan that came with the P4.
    Specs
    Pentium4 1.5ghz, Intel 850gb desktop board, 256mb rd-ram, 80gb 7200rpm hd one of those new ones with the 8mb cache.Ge-force fx 5600.
    What other fans would help.

Oh yeah sorry it freezes when playin Vice city but when i reboot its fine for an hour or so. It also frooze when the map changed on counterstrike earlier.

ok download some s/w temp monitoring thingy and see what it says, i'm not sure what temperatures intel chips are meant to run at but there meant to be cooler then amd's afaik

• Advertisement

Just downloaded the software there My motherboard is 33degrees C and my cpu is 36 degrees C is this too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that seems fine mate my p4 3ghz runs at 39c and that's from a cold boot in the morning times.

cool can you put your cpu under load by running something like prime95, seti or folding and see how much the temperature goes up by?

There is a great response time on the technology board! Thanks for the help any other suggestions of what the problem could be, I treat my computer good regular defragment and what does it give me nothing but grief.

do the simple things (don't mean to be patronising) if you haven't done already check for known incompatibilities with graphics card and games, update drivers ensure windows is up to date see if it happens in any other games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

RICHIIEE

Yeah happy to see me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What are your voltages like. What PSU are you using? Could be that when the system is underload, the voltages could be dropping too much.

My Intel CPU was often at 64'C and it was stable. (Abit board though)

300 watt power supply ,I'm not sure how to read this but the voltage says Core +2.40V ,aux+2.00V, +5V+5.15V, I/O +3.20V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

-oRnein9-,
    Run Vice city for 5-10 mins (hit plenty of lamp posts/people etc for max cpu usage) then Alt+Tab to your temp monitor software and check the CPU temp. If it's over 60c then that could be your problem.
    Originally posted by Cr3m0
    that seems fine mate my p4 3ghz runs at 39c and that's from a cold boot in the morning times.
    Are you using AS3?
    After lapping cpu/hs & cleaning with isopropyl, I reapplied silver paste yesterday and my 2.4@3 was at 38~39c this morning :)
    With silicone it was 42.5~44c, then Antec silver brought it down to 39~40. I had been using Nail Polish remover but the metal surfaces had a matt finish after cleaning.
    Cleaning with Isopropyl got lots more gunk out of the metal and both surfaces were mirror shiny. I'm expecting to see 37c tomorrow or monday when the paste has bedded in fully :D

-oRnein9- download this here and run it tell us what temps you get, if it goes over 67C stop it and shut down your PC if you wanna be safe. Hopefully it wont but if it does you need more air-flow in your case ( if your case is closed, leaving your case open all times is the cheap way of getting lower temps ) which means case fans are needed.

VC freezes for me to....have you got the latest drivers for your Gfx card???, is windows up to date ( latest DX? ) latest patches?, have you got the AGP drivers installed for your MB so that AGP can be used by your Gfx?.

Advertisement