Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom Christmas Play!!

Options
  • 06-12-2003 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

How many people would like for Phantom DJ's to put on a christmas play the likes of which no amateur production could ever equal!!!

Show us how 'when christ was born' should really be done!!

I'm being serious. Think of the attendance, the phundraising capabilities.....

"When Phantom was born" a play starring the great sinister as Jesus himself and Pete Reed as Joseph and Mr Hyland as a simple beggar who needs food and drink....

What kind of screenplay could evolve if we were all to petition for this phabulous endevour with a little contribution each towards a storyboard?

What venue would indeed suit such a specatular event?
    Could it happen? a phunny christmas play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Originally posted by GUINNESS POOH
    a play starring the great sinister as Jesus himself

Probably not gonna happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

pete reed would have to be jesus, with sinister as mary of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

I don't think I can do Jesus. Moses! Moses I can do! Can we stick Moses in and forget about Jesus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GUINNESS POOH

yunno you're dead right Pete. The whole jesus thing just did'nt make for an exhilirating read at all.

But as for Moses.... now that guy made a lotta sense.

Respect.

newbie7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Comedy or tragedy?

in fact seeing as sinister pete has always come across as a person who "knows all" i see the jesus role right up his alley. It would make sense seeing as he has practiced so long for the part.

As for mr reed... hmmm i think a moreconservative character (not offensive in anyway) Would be nice. A feminist who wants to become a man. But whilst trying to discover the secret of decent radio stumbles upon the secrets of creating sychophants (tyrrial guest starring of course, cameo.. word up like).

All this is mixed in with the Cassandra syndrome, (no no i did'nt just watch 12 monkeys i know the STORY).

It's all very sketchy but lots of rape... lots of war imagery and most definatly a prime minister of some sort.

Oh and just in case we need a theme or direction... a title...

The Importance of Constructive Criticism
    Montonony, Tragedy, Love, Regret, and most of all backslapping.

I'd say we'd have 2 weeks in the gate with chrisso from RTE fair city.

In case you think thi is constructive... It's not. It's completely destructive and meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Pete Reed would make a good Herod.

Magpie that was sublime...

the rest of the djs can be the animals in the stable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 maladroit

. . . . as opposed to Ragamuffin, who will be the ass.

Why does he hang around here when he so clearly despises Phantom and everything it stands for? And most of the other posters?

I'll tell you why: secretly he just wants the approval of everyone here, andthe more he doesn't get it, the more he pretends to be all counter rebellious and "cool"..

"Look at me . . . . give me attention . . . . . I'm big and clever . . . .I said LOOK AT ME!!!! . . . ."

Yeah.

What the hell age are you maladroit?

Go read up on some old threads there before you start flinging accusations around there's a good lil Weezer fan :)

/me pets maladroit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Jeez Maladroit,

Think you hit the nail on the head there. Ive been trying to word that response like that for days. See, Ragga used to like us years ago before we sold out to the man, but then stopped liking us and became very vitriolic about it both here, and on thumped ("rape or be raped" was a particular post that springs to mind). No idea why he keeps coming back though. Must be that he really does care. Spirit of Christmas and all that stuff :rolleyes:

Regards,

Pete Reed
    97.3 Phantom FM
    reed@phantomfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

Originally posted by magpie
    Pete Reed would make a good Herod.

that reminds me of last year when Sinister Pete went to see
    the moving crib.
    the two-petes show was spent mimicking the noises Herod made.
    anyone remember?
    ah goodtimes.........

i thought i'd try lighten the mood there but i'm clutching at straws here.

Originally posted by Pete Reed
    Jeez Maladroit,

Think you hit the nail on the head there. Ive been trying to word that response like that for days. See, Ragga used to like us years ago before we sold out to the man, but then stopped liking us and became very vitriolic about it both here, and on thumped ("rape or be raped" was a particular post that springs to mind). No idea why he keeps coming back though. Must be that he really does care. Spirit of Christmas and all that stuff :rolleyes:

reed@phantomfm.com

the tone of this post is so parental i don't know where to start.

I post here because i choose to post here as i beleive it a positive experience to not always attach yourself to people who whole heartedly agree with you.

THe sold out to the man thing is mind boggling.

i never quite liking to explain how i feel about certain as all things are relative etc.

However i did like phantom years ago and, as i've found out, so did other people. The thing is phantom never so much sold out but just ceased to be vibrant and forward thinking.

Also, seeing as i'm be terribly paraphrased, the rape of be raped thread was to do with phantom advertising it's consumer/listener basis to bring in more funds. Now i don't particularly like this as i've never seen the reason for the change in direction (the days of the security alarm ad are well gone cept on sun80s).

heres an example
    Our young (15-34 yr. olds), well educated and generally ahead of the curve. Their interest in new and cutting edge music places them in the realm of opinion leaders. Their high level of disposable income to spend on leisure and entertainment products. If you want to reach a concert going and music buying audience, contact us today.

Ahead of the curve? whats does that mean? what if being ahead of the curve means you dont actually like phantom?

Opinion leaders... Since opinions don't mean **** half the time, including mine by the way, you cna't really be a leader of opinions unless you actually prove them correct which in music is near impossible.

anyway enough of that... next point

I post here also because friends of mine post here and although i may not like the station now i did like it at one point. In fact i really should'nt have to explain why i post here for anyone. Just becaus ei don't agree with phantom does'nt mean i can't post here unless this is a board for sychophants. I remember actually being told, in person, to stop posting topics that annoyed them.

Before i delve into this i'd like to point out that this is not a personal judgement of the situation in fact there were other people present to verify my choice of judgement.

ok it's funny this as i've tryed to not bring it up but it's been such a funny thing to think about. Sinister pete has lectured me in whelans and the TBMC about oh say 4 or 5 times. 3 in whelans twice in tbmc. You see himself and Mr.reed pretty much are at the top of phantom and i take what they say as to some degree the attitude behind phantom.

Mr. sinister was asked what he thought of my own programme and despite one phantom listener nearby actually liking the style and presentation and i beleive he said he liked "the music i've never heard before", he still said it was poor. Ok fair enough i accept criticism but not in the form of patronising and condescending drivel.

In fact over the years being in contact with phantom and listening i've found it's me who has changed and they have not. I thought this had something to do with age but then again i do a radio show with someone twice mine so that can't be it. SO i personally, and totally my own opinion, think it has to do with having people who follow the grain and like to tlak alot on radio.

When i suggested that there should be very little talk with music i got called a "jukebox". But i like jukeboxes. I like hearing the songs i want to hear. I also like playing songs for people but not the songs they've always heard. That would be just Lite fm. Now i'm not at all syaing i'm better than phantom i'm just pointing out where we are different. I also don't agree with MCD and at all oppurtunities try to deal with them as little as possible. I did'nt think mr. sinister was very good at accepting other people's opinions but much rather would listen to his own at length to which i politly obliged.

The thing is Phantom positions itself as the voice of alternative music in Dublin. And to be honest they do a good job at what they do but to be perfectly honest it's a very conservative and placating voice. It's not cutting edge often very late at picking up on the "newest thing". But that doe'snt matter to alot of people who seem to adore phantom and i've no problem with that. But i do think that people who listen to phantom and like irish band seem to have a problem with people who don't like the local scene. This can be the local scene on thumped and here at phantom.

I may come across as the "ass" in the stable but as mr. reed will tell you i'm quite a pleasant individual at most times. But i can't stand childish jabs at myself and condesecending lectures form those who beleive themselves in a better position to talk.

I don't claim to know everything and i don't claim to know nothing. But what i don't do is lecture people as if i'm speaking the truth. It's all opinion. THe only question is which opinion is more palatable to the general audience.

Well that all depends on who you behind you as marketing,presentation and experience.

I am alone and phantom has all of these people.

who would you beleive?

i'd probabaly belive phantom... better track record

happy christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 maladroit

Well, if I've done nothing else useful today, at least I've got Ragamuffin to articulate what he feels about phantom, and explain the tenor of his posts - talk is good!

I can understand where he is coming from now, even if I don't feel the same way myself. I've been around the board here for a long time, and had seen a lot of cutting remarks from Ragamuffin with no explaination, so that's why I posted as I did.

I fully accept that he has no need to answer to anyone, but it's enlightening that he did. No hard feelings on my side.

Now for Amz: I'm older than you, and no particular fan of Weezer. They are neither a "must listen" nor a "turn off" band for me when they are played on Phantom (which I don't notice happening all that often) - - just a background pastel in the painting of the rainbow.

But why should my age or Weezer status affect the content of my post???

There is nothing I find more laughable than people who are able to hold the beliefs that "older people don't understand my music" and that "you're two years younger than me, your music is stupid kiddie music" at the same time!!!!

Now, getting back to the play, I'd suggest that the Phantom Crew are the shepherds following the star (licence) but as of yet, never quite reaching it. You see. what they don't understand, and didn't take from the biblical tale, is that to get what you want from the system in this country, you have to bring "gifts" for the people who you are approaching . . .

Gold or Frankensence anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

ok it's funny this as i've tryed to not bring it up but it's been such a funny thing to think about. Sinister pete has lectured me in whelans and the TBMC about oh say 4 or 5 times. 3 in whelans twice in tbmc. You see himself and Mr.reed pretty much are at the top of phantom and i take what they say as to some degree the attitude behind phantom.

Yes it's true I have "lectured" you but if you remember (and it's not clear at all in your post) I wasn't telling you not to post stuff. I wanted you to think about how you express your opinion, explain to people why you feel the need to express them and above all remember the people that read this board and go into the chatroom may not know about music as much as you BUT you were like them once and WE didn't make you feel like an idiot because you were just learning who the Pixies were.

I've watched you go in as though you're trying to start a fight. WHY? Not everybody comes into this space because they have something they want to prove. So you can't blame them if they get upset with your vitriolic postings.

As for the marketing of Phantom FM? That's our business, don't you worry your head about it. You don't like us. DON'T LISTEN. We'll be fine without you. It's okay. Frankly I think there's far more important things to get upset about in this world. How many charities do you volunteer for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

You don't like us. DON'T LISTEN.

Hmm, why don't you try turning this into a new spike for Fantom? In fact you could go one further with "If you don't like us **** off!", but you might find your reserves of good will dwindling somewhat.
    How many charities do you volunteer for?

What has this got to do with the price of eggs? Is this going to turn into some smashey and nicey diatribe about doing work for charidee? Is it all xmas jumpers and good work for the kiddies in the studio?

While it's none of my business, it being your radio station and all, I would suggest that you are running the risk of alienating your older fanbase (you know, the people who supported you for years pre-weekend licence). You mightn't care less about this. And fair point I suppose about not listening, I've already voted with my ears and given up listening to Phantom at all. The only reason I post here is out of a sense of nostalgia and loyalty for what the station was, and hope that it might avoid the depths of SpinFM, which is where it's headed.

To use your logic: If you don't like our opinions, ban us.

Originally posted by Sinister Pete
    Yes it's true I have "lectured" you but if you remember (and it's not clear at all in your post) I wasn't telling you not to post stuff. I wanted you to think about how you express your opinion, explain to people why you feel the need to express them and above all remember the people that read this board and go into the chatroom may not know about music as much as you BUT you were like them once and WE didn't make you feel like an idiot because you were just learning who the Pixies were.

sorry to be a nitpick but doe'snt this prove that you're stooping to a lower, childish level than i did.

You're twice my age pete and to be honest i was not like some people once, in the sense i always was open-minded and sought out new bands. Phantom ceased to be new and exciting and so i moved on.

To be honest i may have learned who the pixies were form pete and i never have denyed that to anybody (ask around they'll tell you) so i can't see a problem in that.

I haven't taken any of your advice i simply decided to articulate my views a little more clearly. I hate typing long messages and you guys always seem to come off as the crusaders against cynics. You asked me once why i am a certain way on these boards and i simply replied "because i can and i feel like it".

Simple.

And by the way you side stepped the advertising blurb nicely. But unfortunatly if you're using people as advertising tools well it's their business too. Thing is i've always listened to you and understood it to be short sighted and condescending. Know your place pete and don't run away with yourself. You're the programme director of a weekend pirate radio station in the dublin area. there have been people with more influence and less attitude that did'nt use a condescending tone with me.

The thing is pete about knowing about music... you guys do nothing to help that. I come to this board, similarly to magpie, for nostalgia reasons.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

U all stink!! except amz, thankyou that is all.

Originally posted by maladroit

Now for Amz: I'm older than you, and no particular fan of Weezer. They are neither a "must listen" nor a "turn off" band for me when they are played on Phantom (which I don't notice happening all that often) - - just a background pastel in the painting of the rainbow.

But why should my age or Weezer status affect the content of my post???

Weezer Discography : Albums
    Weezer "The Blue Album" - May 10 1994
    Pinkerton - Sept. 26 1996
    Weezer "The Green Album" - May 15 2001
    Maladroit - May 14 2002

Now you must forgive me for assuming that you were named after a Weezer album as that sort of practice is quite common on this board.

Clearly you're incapable of detecting sarcasm or the fact that quite frankly I don't give a flying Fuck to be honest. In my post I was trying to lighten the mood it was a joke if you will... you should stop taking yourself so fecking seriously and for fucck sake sort that plank on your shoulder out... It doesn't suit you. It detracts from your wonderful personality...

Anywho... this gathering card seems kinda appropriate.

saipan.jpg

PS listen to azezil that man's too pretty to not be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

woah this thread got a little worked up there for a while! scary!

• Advertisement

Newbie!!

I just changed computers and could'nt have been arsed trying to sort out my legendary name!

How dare thee.

I just thought this thread would give some people a chance to get all borderline...

....especially the ever sour Raggamuffin.

Well there's no fear of your "new" nick overshadowing the "legend" that is your old one...

Relax the cacks as far as Raggamuffin is concerned!!

What good is it calling him "ever sour" etc. Does that prove a point, does it make you look good? Do you even know the guy? Have you not read his thread on mix Tapes/CD's? Coz if you judge someone on one particular thread/post/topic that can lead to all sorts of problems.

Tiz Christmas and people are supposed to be all warm and fuzzy (possibly coz they haven't gotten their Gillette gift sets yet) but also coz it's a time of goodwill.

Just take it handy!

Or we could have a dance off!

dance%20off%20with%20eulalee.jpg

Don’t blame it on the sunshine
    Don’t blame it on the moonlight
    Don’t blame it on the good times
    Blame it on the boogie

Untz!

A.M
    xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

raggamuffin you evil evil man! how dare you be this evil! how dare you!

hahahaha

80s on sunday... you should come!

Your right Amz..

I should'nt have made that dig at Raggamuffin. I certainly would'nt to his face. I do happen to know him and you could say we are like Oil and Water as far as personalities go. But I have tremendous respect for the mans music.

Later...

respect resmect...

i'll dig him in the head next time i see him!

(can i be banned for jokingly threatening a fellow music lover)

i play harpy lady in defence mode!

80s night sunday! come ragga!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

respect for raggamuffin??

Why??:confused:

I'm in for eighties noght jurdty wurdty

and i realise i wasn't invited but choose to ignore it!:D

you weren't invited YET coz i havent seen ya...

so heres an invite now...

hey lamda wanna come to an 80s nite thingie on sunday? you might be a wee bit hungover from saturday nite but what better way to cure a hangover...

gimme an l
    gimme an a
    gimme an m
    gimme a d
    gimme an a

gooooooooooooooooooo lamda

yay for lamda wooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

AH finally!!
    My own one woman cheerleading squad! Decked out in a spangly thong i presume!!:D

*shudder*

Don't let SyxPak see this thread!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement