Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Modem

Options
  • 06-12-2003 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

My conceptronic 56E has decided to stop working properly. The line was disconnected about a month ago so it hasn't been used since today, but when I tried to connect it gave a "no dialtone" error. Fortunately the line is working properly as I tested it with a winmodem and phone, no probs there. Tried most of the suggestions on modem troubleshooting with no luck. My only tactic left is the query log. Here's what I got

ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+FCLASS=? - 0,1,8
    AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    AT+GCI=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED
    ATI1 - External Controller Ver3.00, CheckSum=8B1B
    ATI2 - TEST OK!
    ATI3 - TP560 Data/Fax/Voice 56K Modem
    ATI4 - DSP Ver3.00 CheckSum=88D2
    ATI5 - UK
    ATI6 - 0
    ATI7 - Controller Ver3.00 Date:Aug 30 19:00 2001

Several Command not supported, but before I think they were. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

was it plugged in the last time there was lightening?

i take it you've tried different cables and re-installing drivers, re-seating cables, trying shorter cables from the main phone socket, removing any double adapters etc. already.

maybe install it on another machine at a different location and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

what does atdt return?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Possibly lightning might be the culprit. As I only use the modem during the weekends I'm not 100% sure but it is plugged into the phone line the whole time.

Vibe66, yup I've tried reinstalling drivers, there's no double adaptors and the phone line is very close to the computer already. Haven't tried different cables or different comp yet, good ideas.

Jd, atdt? No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

used to work for an ISP. standard stuff really. if it was lightening quite often you'll get a few odd noises out of the modem rather than no dial tone, but not always.

best thing to do is eliminate what it isn't, then you'll know what it is. if you get my meaning.

you know anoter modem works with everything else the same, so it'sprobably not your setup, or phone line (but each modem is different, and one that works doesn't mean they all will if there are minor line problems), so it's likely to be a problem with the modem itself, but just to make sure, if you go into phone and modem options and the properties of the modem, remove the tick from 'wait for dial tone' and try again. if you get (i think, but not 100% sure cos it's been a while) error 736 it might well be that the modem is dead (the part that does the dialling and anyway) and there's nothing for it but to replace the thing. the response you'll get if it's a dead modem is something like no answer, or the remote computer is not responding btw.

www.modemhelp.net has a bunch of info about no dial tones which might help more.

if you can try it in another machine at a different location you'll pretty much know for sure though.

by going into the connection directly through dial up networking (network and dial up connections in xp and 2k) it should almost always give you a numerical error which modemhelp should be able to decipher.

Advertisement