Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonky WIFI card?

• 06-12-2003 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

I recently setup my netgear WGR614 router & DM602 DSL modem with the intention of using my existing PCMCIA WIFI card with it until I purchase the netgear card. The card I'm using is by all accounts a pretty cheap 802.11b card, It's rebadged and comes up as Cabletron Roamabout DS when i put it into the slot.

The problem is, when the laptop picks it up it stalls for about 30 secs. Then sometimes the "Wireless networks are available" message appears and when I click on it I get a list of networks (of which I have only one running). If I click connect it stalls for another 30 secs. The connect dialog then disappears and 30 more secs stall. The whole thing keeps repeating with lots of freezing/stalling. If I whip out the card, wait till the machine starts responding again and put it back in it stalls again. If I cancel the "networks have been detected" message it connects sometimes but not every time. Just now it took me 30 mins to successfully connect my laptop to the router. I'm using windows XP pro.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what this might be, please let me know cos I'll be still here going off my mind until I can get my hands on the netgear card.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Red03

I do quite a number of wireless installs, and we generally use the Buffalo range although I had a similar problem to yours when we used some D-Link stuff and a simple driver update solved the problem.

Lan Technologies (4760030) have Netgear 802.11b PCMCIA cards for €49.00 ex vat in-stock and the g standard ones from €120 ex vat

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

it's gotten a bit better since I started the thread. Now if I wait a minute or two after I login then stick in the card it usually connects first time.

Anyway... I ordered a netgear WG511 the other day so I should have that by Friday.

Advertisement