Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Games Awards Poll

Options
  • 06-12-2003 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

But most people don't have opinions worth listening to around here!

Kidding.

Is there really a point though? Flooding the board with those topics a la the music board isn't very good at breeding discussion, it'll just lead to threads with one or two line posts (which nobody reads, before posting their own preference at the end) - and it squeezes out other threads were actual! discussion! may occur too.

If this does get done, please don't do it in the same manner as the music awards. And jebus, any catagories that are slightly original would be nice.

Why not just have a few debate-style threads arguing for different things ("best" game, and whatnot, if you must). This would give you an indication as to what the community thinks, breed intelligent (well, maybe!) discussion and wouldn't completely swamp the board in pointless polls and one-line response threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The reason the awards you see now are shoddy are;

a) they're tailored to a TV audience
    b) its not the end of the year yet

Still, theres no stopping putting up a poll in January, but I don't think its nessessary to do a big awards thing like the Music board. Check back online for awards on 2003 in the new year and you'll find great resources on the subject.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Why not just have a few debate-style threads arguing for different things ("best" game, and whatnot, if you must).

The same reason I wouldn’t have any thing to do with polls on the best games - it end up in murder because some one isn’t happy.

I agree with you about it taking up two much space, also it’s hard to be creative with the polls when there’s so much work compiling them.

Edit - Maybe just one poll on the best game and one the most original? But again, I don't really want the work of compiling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The Spike awards were indeed terrible. Lots of B list stars, rappers and a game award every 10 mins (Between rap performances). When 'Enter the Matrix' won best game of a movie I turned it off, not even the thoughts of Jenna Jameson presenting could get past that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by monument
    The same reason I wouldn’t have any thing to do with polls on the best games - it end up in murder because some one isn’t happy.

But these are discussion boards, not everybody-agree-and-be-happy boards. There' s a difference between telling somebody that a game is good and telling somebody why a game is good, and that's why I think the idea of discussions has at least some merit.

But then again, those kind of discussions should happen regardless of whether there's an award to argue over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

TEH BESTEST GAEM THIS YEAR IS DOOM3 LOL IT IS GRATE AND I BET SMIETHY 15-6 AT IT LOL HE EVEN CHAETED AND WENT COUNTAR TERROR ENTAR TEH MATRICSK WAS GRATE TOO HALOE WAS CRAP LOL :ninja: :ninja: NIENJAE:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

We used to do this ages ago, back in the day.. ahhhh yes I remember it now children...

Anyway, the way it worked was we had one thread were people just posted their favourite game and the 10 most popular went into a vote and then there was a winner and a party and cake and icecream.

Even then after wading through all the nominations by hand we still got muppets going "Y IS NOT LEGENDS OF TEH SUPER FAG TURBO EXTREME DAISY CHAIN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION N TEH POLL!"

And besides, all of us prefer different games.

That said, if someone wants to go ahead I'll not stop it as they can be sources of mirth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    But these are discussion boards, not everybody-agree-and-be-happy boards. There' s a difference between telling somebody that a game is good and telling somebody why a game is good, and that's why I think the idea of discussions has at least some merit.

But then again, those kind of discussions should happen regardless of whether there's an award to argue over.

I agree with your last line, however the point of a poll would be to see what every one thinks is the best/worst/etc...

Advertisement