Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC technology

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even forgetting cutscenes it's ridiculous that the games come on lots of CD's. Games are just getting bigger and bigger which means more CD's in a DVD case that isn't designed to adequately hold more than 2. Also swapping disks during installation is a pain. I'd like to go off and have a cup of tea instead of waiting to swap disks.

In game cutscenes can be excellent such as in FFX, MGS etc. However look at the shoddy work done in The recent Raven games and Unreal 2. It's embarassing and boring and sometimes the design monkeys don't bother with a skip key.

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I think a mixture of in game cutscenes and FMV is the winning combination.

The Red Alert 2 intro pwned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by utility_
    The Red Alert 2 intro pwned

every pre-generals intro and movie in c&c games pwned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    every pre-generals intro and movie in c&c games pwned

Renegades were pretty brutal...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Renegade was pretty brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    UMD Discs and drives would no doubt cost substantionally more than DVD,

Sony says it's the other way around. They also said that UMD's are not publisher frendly, but they're also not very easy to copy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Matt Simis, i wasnt contradicting myself, i was merely going by sonys comments on UMD that they can hold more than DVDs, if you check the original post i say how this is so far unproven (as is the PSP in general).
    Also UMD is bound to be the underdog at the moment as it isnt being used in any popular medium at all, my question was do you think this could change in the near future.
    I also would like to point out that UMDs are just one example, im sure there are many other formats on the way or here already that could be used for gaming, including a format that Empire recently claimed could be competition for DVD video even though DVDs are just becoming popular (i think it was those Blue discs or something)

Flogen

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Look at the EA ads on before Star Trek on SKy One, MOHAA:Rising Sun, nothin but FMV (though decent FMV :)). Designed to put forward a slick image of the game content for the couch morons.
    Wonder why they never show the in-game footage as you would actually get on the PS2?
    ;) ww)

Like MOHRS, [or even MOH Rising Blocks] - never mind about how bad the gameplay is for the moment - in game it looks as EA mixed it with a Lego game - or did they want us to see blocks?
    Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    You'd have thought Minidisc and Memory stick would have taught them something.

Memory sticks are still in wide spread use - mostly in digital cameras

Mini disk would have been a dream - even if it was RAM - if it came before the CD.

Memory sticks have died a horrible festering death in the market place, nothing but Sony hardware uses them.
    If you want to say widespread use, mention CompactFlash, SD etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by koneko
    Any reason they might give publically will be "not everyone had a DVD drive". The real reason I'd say is money.
    I'd tend to agree with this. It probably works out cheaper to produce something on two CDs than on 1 DVD (just like it does at home). It shouldn't be long though till DVD media drops to the same type of pennies price we pay for CD media.

• Advertisement

Not really afaik Seamus, you're still just pressing platters, wouldn't be a whole difference, and the investment in CD-pressing kit has already been spent and made back, would only take a small fraction more to kit out for DVD production as the process is very similar.
    Also, most CD/DVDs are pressed by a few out-source companies, very few places do it in-house afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I deal with Sonopress quite a lot, they say that a dvd costs between 5-6 times as much as a cd to duplicate. Their cost price would still be quite low for a dvd though; around 60 cents.

Advertisement