Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 vs Voodoo 3s - Problems anyone ?

Options
  • 17-12-1999 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Quake3 full ver timedemo 1 should return about 50 -60 fps with a V3 3000 AGP,yes ?
    Wrong it seems as most V3 users are now having tremendous difficulty beating 30fps.

Does anyone else on this board have problems with V3 3000s ?

Also UTs V3 performance aint great.
    The was it looks, TNT2s are gettin full support and lovely fps while V3s are looking none too hot at the moment sad.gif

Most problems seem to be with AMD chips too which is baffling ??

Btw, this is quake related as my problem is fps from a V3 IN Q3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah apparently it's to do with K6 cache writeback or summit. I keep meaning to get round to it but it's handy to get use to the slower framrate so's I can increase my l33t skillz.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

UT runs perfectly on my V3, i havent bothered with any of that benchmark $hite, but its completely smooth with no tearing or dropped frames that I can notice. Has to be well over 50 fps, which is about as much as the human eye can distingush anyway smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yip, I've been playing Quake3 with my Voodoo3 2000 along with my AMDk6-2 450MHz and it runs silky smoooooth at 800x600.
    The only time it slows down is when I get railed and all the blood particles are flying about, but then it only slows down for about 2 seconds, which is fine because I'm dead anyway!

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 17-12-1999).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 WORDBeeech

Hmm
    I deffo dont get 50 fps avg in UT..only 30 -35 fps !! which drops dramatically when things get busy or complex to about 17 fps sad.gif
    Quake 3 on voodoos is currently having trouble with the blood slowing things up for one(3dfx say a late january driver release will sort his out)
    For now it looks like ill have to make do with sh*tty fps in all my games with that v3 3000 card !
    Seems like V2 2000s are fine but v3 3000s are nipples altogether sad.gif
    amp....deffo right about the AMD cpu...it allows write allocation but sadly no write combining to the VGA frame buffer which may be a problem (coupled with the fact that the Ga-5ax board is a slut altogether) sad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Do ye lads realise that the human eye can only distinguish frames at a rate of less than 24fps?
    Video's are played at that rate.
    Do ye see any fps problems with videos?
    Nope.
    The test of a video card is the fps when there is a lot of action. This is when it drops. So long as it doesnt go below 24 fps you are fine as far as distinguishing fps goes.
    Basicly the fps while standing still with no movement on the screen doesnt matter a fvck!
    Do a timerefresh while spinning mid air firing rockets with 4 others in the screen.
    Its times like that that it matters anyway smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Hmmmmm
    I put that post up at 2.30 am after a FEW in the pub. Perhaps I didnt put enought thought into that one smile.gifsmile.gif
    You are completely right sickboy. I hereby retract my drunken statement as pure uninformed bollix
    Ya could have been more polite aboute btw lads :p
    smile.gifsmile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭madyoke

and antialising and all that lark too

25fps for TV yes !! not in videogames
    Arcade games (using for example Model 3) are aimed to give the gamer about 60fps (since we cant see a difference above it)
    Why do think that is so ?
    Why push the fps if it isnt necessary ?
    Because 60+ fps is the way to play games
    Play quake 3 getting an average of 25fps and play another version gettin 60 fps average !
    If you can HONESTLY say that you can not see or feel(from the mouse control) most importantly a difference in quality then you need to get yer specs changed.
    The 25 fps you are talking about used for televsion is a completely different matter to games but it is correct as far as films and TV go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

shut u faeg you mean u cant tell the difference between 24 fps and 60 fps

dik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Paladin: Your statement is ******!
    A television displays its frames in a completly different method than a PC. It might only display 25 - 30 fps BUT each frame has 2 frames mixed together. This gives a smoother effect making it look like its displaying 60+ fps and TV's resolution is nothing near to what a PC's monitor runs at(800x600< )
    Someone else might be able to give you the exact numbers here but thats basically how it works.

Jimmy...

[This message has been edited by SickBoy (edited 18-12-1999).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

For Ref's sake here's what I Get in test 1.08. (Drop by about 10% for the full game seems to be the rule of thumb) - on full quality, All except 32 bit colour (But using 32 bit internal textures), with the V3 set to High Visual Quality.
    Demo1

1024x768 48FPS
    1280x960 23FPS

On an Athlon 700, 128mb Ram, V3 3000 at 175.
    It may not be stellar but 1024x768 is defnitely playable. And it heads up into the 60s if you drop the image quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fergal

I get 49 fps with HQ at 800*600 with a P2400
    and a geforce DDR.
    With a Athlon 700 you should get MUCH better.
    Voodoos suck at Q3a, drivers might improve it,basically you should get a Geforce or TNT2.You also gain 32bit colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no seriously lads.

yis are all very cool.
    i wish i could get that on my pc.
    but since i dont really care what fps i get as long as it looks nice and runs smoth
    lets face it, its not gonna make you any better as a player.
    sounds like musical masturbation time to let everyone know what spec pc you have.

i mean, who cares what fps you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I care.
    on my ninja 166 i max out at 30fps in quake1 at 320X200 fullscreen.
    take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

After paying for it and building it I feel I have every right to use any oportunity to mention my Athlon, V3 3500 tv based PC with Pioneer DVD drive, cd burner, 128 megs of ram and IBM 7200 rpm 13 gig drive.

Come on people! You know you want to! Let it all out! RELEASE THE GEEK WITHIN!!

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

I think it is worth noting fps since that ARE what makes a game smooth or not.
    Also, if Ive paid good money on a V3 3000 AGP and it DOESNT give me VERY GOOD fps in all games on high detail then whats the point in any of us investing in newer graphics cards ?
    My V3 3000 AGP is, as far as I can see, worse than TNT1 and thus it despresses me.
    I get about 38fps avg in Quake 3 only with ALL detail turned off ( changing to lightmap gives me 2 fps average instead sad.gif which is fu*kin appalling).
    You might say "Well ! At least its playable at that low detail so why complain?" but it the fact that with my system I deserve what I paid for and so if I pay more money than wally-next-door for my PC then it should run better.
    So Im sorry, but FPS is a HUGE thing cos it shows me how well my card IS actually performing relative to to how well it SHOULD be performing.

[This message has been edited by WORDBeeech (edited 20-12-1999).]

WW has a point, you see people going crazy on some sites talking about how they lapped their CPU, Attached the fridge and sacrificed their dog to Mumu the ancient, yet smelly, god of Toe fluff, just to get 200 FPS in Q1 instead of 197.

But at the same time you have to recognise there is a critical limit for accuracy's sake. That limiit's relative to each user. I'd say the lowest I'd play a set res. would be around 30 in single player, closer to 40 in multi. Higher looks smoother, but the gameplay improvements per FPS increase starts to decrease from there for me.

I just posted the numbers as a reference. I have knack for blowing bits of my PC up so I don't tend to boast about what's in it (saves explaining what stupid thing you did this time to brain heamorhage the poor beast).

As for the V3 being bad....Q3 is the only one I've seen that makes it crawl. A v3 is still the best card for Unreal/UNreal Tournament (the most licensed game engine(s) to date). And more than enough for just about everything else. Nope, I'm not a 3dfx evangelist, my next card probably won't be one of theirs. Though saving for a 6000 would be worth it just for the geek factor....Or keeping yor toes warm...;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Quake3 flies along at 60 fps on my v3 so i dont know what the hell the complaints are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i didnt say that the rate of fps didnt affect the game, mearly noted that as long as the game runs smoth....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I run a banshee on a p3 550 and i get 90 fps pretty much all of the time with lightmap turned off at 640 * 480. So I am sticking with my 3dfx

• Advertisement

The Nehmenfroyds are restless.

Had to be said.

Advertisement