Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netoptia + Linksys WRT54G

• 07-12-2003 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

ok,
    I have bb with a netopia modem (eircom) and am upgrading to wireless/ cabled network so i can share the speed,
    so,
    i'm taking the modem out, an putting in a 2 x 10/100 network card on two pc's connectin to router (Linksys WRT54G) using cables and connecting a third pc using with a linksys G standard card,

now the thing is is that my bb router needs a modem and if i put the netopia one into it will it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by BigO
    now the thing is is that my bb router needs a modem and if i put the netopia one into it will it work?
    Yes, but you'll need to reconfigure it to work in "bridge mode". It's apparently a straightforward change, it's been described here a coupole of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Idaho

Did you get the configuration for connecting these devices? I just purchased the Linksys router and need to set it up with my Eircom Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tibrok

I set up one of these before Christmas and it wasn't easy. I havn't got the the relevant routers, modems etc in front of to refer to, but the following points come to mind.

- Download latest firmware for linksys router. (It has changed a good bit from installation CD).
    - It seems better to use ethernet connection out of modem into router. Make sure USB cable disconnected.
    - Change netopia modem to bridge mode as mentioned in previous post.
    - Enter broadband login details in linksys router
    - Set gateway for internet connection in linksys to modem IP. Also need to enter BB service providers DNS ip addresses in linksys.
    - Enable DHCP in linksys router.
    - Set each windows computer on network to search for IP addresses automatically.
    - Shut every thing down and power on in following order waitng 1-2 minutes between each. (Modem,Router,Computer).
    - When setting up wireless card I set top speed on router and wireless card to 5mbs approx. as it seemed to give more stable connection especially over long/awkward distances.
    - Be careful of wireless card setting an additional network service under LAN network connections in windows. Disable it as it prevents getting a correct IP from router DHCP server.

If you need specfic details on particular settings I may be able to look them up on Monday/ Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

yeah set your netopia box to gate way mode (netopia.com gave me simple instructions took 10 min)

and then use the manual to set up the linksys box.

iif all esle fails i'll set it up for a couple of quid if you live near rathfarnham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Idaho

Thanks for the guidance. I have it working now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement