Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw something funky

• 07-12-2003 5:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone else knew what it was..

about 4:20am and a load of guys are trying to sneak through back gardens without any success. I'm out in the back garden and I look up west, there is a star I think in the lower angle of the sky, about an inch to the left of it there was like a huge bright light for a split second.

I thought I imagined it but the person who was with me saw it too. I don't think it was a shooting star unless it was coming right at us. :)

Here is an example of what it was like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Whereabouts was this?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Is it possible you were lucky enough to see a gamma-ray-burst. See here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wasn't flare, it was round not flat. I thought gamma ray bursts were like fatal to the planet (would be the last thing I see?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Wasn't flare, it was round not flat. I thought gamma ray bursts were like fatal to the planet (would be the last thing I see?)

Well if it was in this galaxy and aimed at us it could be the beginning of the end for Earth. They would not be bright to the naked eye unless they were very close.

Plane turning, solar panel rotating, head on meteor... I dont see any similar reports on UK or isish astronomy sights, sorry.

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

most likely iridium flare. these do not appear as 'flat' usually are observed as a very bright 'starlike' point for a brief moment in time, then they fade as quickly as they appeared.

that or a weather balloon surrounded by wild geese with car headlights projecting onto them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Nothing on Heaven's Above for that time of the morning yesterday. So couldn't be an iridium...

Only thing I see is:

Name: Cosmos 2237 Rocket
    Magnitude: 4.4
    Start: 04:23:12 43° E
    Max: 04:23:12 43° E
    End: 04:27:32 10° SE

But that was in the east. I think. I'm not great at reading these things!!

Heaven's Above link

Good luck on your hunt. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

That was also a transit so it would've appeared to be moving and doubt it would've been a flash.

Guess it could've just been a fireball? (something burning up as it hit the atmosphere)

Originally posted by halenger
    Nothing on Heaven's Above for that time of the morning yesterday. So couldn't be an iridium...

Iridium flares are localised to within a few kilometers, so you would need the exact location to rule in or out a flare.

However as you say a flare at 4am or so would be a bit early to catch sunlight.

cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Lets stop beating around the fúcking bush, it was the alien mothership and you all know it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp
    Lets stop beating around the fúcking bush, it was the alien mothership and you all know it!

Looks more like the deathstar. Ahh duck and cover.Ahhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well if it is aliens...you all better put on clean underwear becuase the gang probing will be starting pretty soon. Man i hoped this wouldn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Let's keep it on topic people.

Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Most likely an iridium flare. Its basically a dim moving star that appears out of nowhere, gets very bright very quickly, and fades away just as rapidly. Their magnitude depends on how perfectly your location is lined up for event, but they do get very bright indeed, like -8 or -9 sometimes, comparable to the brightness of the moon (the magnitude of the full moon is about -12.7 IIRC, but its spread over a larger surface). Since they dont last too long in the sky, their movement isnt always that readily apparent. If I knew your rough location I could confirm that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

It's Venus is it not?

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Impurity

Does sound like an Iridium flare,

I saw one when i was pretty drunk after a night out, and was having a smoke on my backdoor step and i looked up and saw a huge light getting bigger every second and then disappear (only lasted literally about 4 seconds), i was a bit freaked out so i emailed a guy on the irish astronomical site and he confirmed that i should have seen an iridium flare in and around the time.

If you go onto the site, you can actually tell if there are going to be/have been in your area. not sure of the address but you can do a google.ie search and find it easily

Originally posted by Impurity
    If you go onto the site, you can actually tell if there are going to be/have been in your area. not sure of the address but you can do a google.ie search and find it easily

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Just reading this and I think I saw an Iridium flare as well, in Donnybrook, on about 26 November at about 5.30pm, flash in the southern sky at about 45 degrees to the horizon, lasted about three seconds and must have got down to magnitude -5 at least.

www.heavens-above.com don't seem to have a history of flare predictions going that far back though :(. Anyone know where I could find out?

Also saw four Ursids there at the start of last month in the time it takes to have a smoke.

Advertisement