Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble with installing eircom istream on winnt4

• 07-12-2003 5:46am

I've recently built a new comp and installed winnt4.0 on it however I can't seem to get eircom istream to work properly. I'm using the alcatel speedtouch usb modem that I got with the connection and I don't have the cd's for either i-stream or the modem. But I downloaded the alcatel software online instead, and configured the eircom account on it.

BUT, the connection only seems to run ok for a few minutes, then it just starts going real slow and then dies. I figured it was just a problem with the drivers but then i downloaded the latest ones from the alcatel website and it still didn't fix it.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could fix this or at least with what could be wrong??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by utility_
    I've recently built a new comp and installed winnt4.0 on it however I can't seem to get eircom istream to work properly. I'm using the alcatel speedtouch usb modem that I got with the connection and I don't have the cd's for either i-stream or the modem. But I downloaded the alcatel software online instead, and configured the eircom account on it.
    A USB modem with NT4? I didn't think NT4 supported USB?

[edit]I just checked google, and there are NT 4.0 USB drivers for some devices. Does the Alcatel documentation specifically say that it supports NT4? The SpeedtouchUSB FAQ says that it doesn't support Win95 or NT.[/edit]

it's windows 2000 pro...not winnt4(or are they the same?)...I really havn't a clue about windows tbh.

it's windows 2000 pro...not winnt4(or are they the same?)...I really havn't a clue about windows tbh.
    You said "I've recently built a new comp and installed winnt4.0 on it".

There's a big difference between Win2K and NT4. But you should have no problem with a USB modem on Win2K. Sorry, I don't have any idea what the problem you described might be.

Call Eircom and tell them your modme is dead - they might replace it with the (much better) Netopia Cayman that they're giving out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Emmm yes there is a diffrence between NT4 and Win2k right click on my computer and go to properties see what it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What do you mean by "it just starts going real slow and then dies" exactly?
    What OS are you actually using?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

troll.jpg

wtf??

anyway I found both the eircom cd and the modem software cd but it didn't fix the problem. My connections seems to be going fine until after a few minutes when it starts getting slower and slower and eventually stopping....

I'm using windows 2000 professional.

My friend had exactly the same problem with windows xp but it got fixed when he upgraded to windows xp pro....

I havn't got a clue whats wrong with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I havn't got a clue..

sorry is there a mod around here to clean the crap people are posting in this thread??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

sorry is there a mod around here to clean the crap I`m posting in this thread??

Spend 5mins on google, Posting here about a problem and giving the wrong OS, sigh
    I figured it was just a problem with the drivers

And you cant figure out how to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Mr utility_ you have been pronounced a Troll!!! start acting like one! alternatively you can try this little proggy here and see if your connection stays up and running.

sorry is there a mod around here to clean the crap people are posting in this thread??
    Assuming you're not trolling/acting the muppet, you aren't exactly being clear as to what's going on, so how do you expect people to respond without giving any real information as to what's going on.

Originally posted by bazH
    Spend 5mins on google, Posting here about a problem and giving the wrong OS, sigh

And you cant figure out how to fix it?

Actually I've spent hours trying on google for different drivers and installation files and instructions and decided to post here as a last resort. I've installed the modem before on my old computer and it didn't have *too much* trouble then...

So I messed up with the OS - so fucking what??? I've never encountered windows 2000 before and I just assumed it was called windows nt..get over it...

Thanks OfflerCrocGod I'll try that but I'm not too sure if it will work, seeing as I've tried downloading large files but they slow down at about 20-30 mb and get unbearably slow at 30-40 mb.

Frank Grimes, the reason why I can't be more specific is because I don't know what is causing this. Like I said I posted here as a last resort because I know how hard it is to get tech support by someone who isn't standing right beside the computer!

All I know is that the connection works fine on my old computer but doesn't on my new one even though I've installed it exaclty the same way. Seeing as my mate also had the same problem I just presumed that someone here might have also had the problem and would know how to fix it...

p.s. - why the **** would I "troll" this?????

All I know is that the connection works fine on my old computer but doesn't on my new one even though I've installed it exaclty the same way.
    Just to clarify - do you have both computers available at the moment, and it works on one, and not on the other?

What OS is on the old computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Okay,

Firstly, see if the Alcatel Speedtouch modem is installed correctly. If you don't know, don't assume. You can see if it is installed by right clicking my computer -> properties -> Hardware tab -> Device manager and checking under the "Network adaptors" section for the Alcatel Speedtouch modem (it might be called a "USB ADSL WAN modem").

If it is installed, check the driver version. If I recall correctly the later version of those drivers are v1.6, although they might have been since updated (I haven't seen that modem in a long while).

Once you have the modem installed correctly, I assume all you need to do is configure you IP details to the ones Eircom gave you (I say assume, because Eircom might not be using PPPoE - if they're using PPPoATM you'll probably have to use their propriatary software).

In any case, the reason why you're being labelled a troll is because of
    I've recently built a new comp
    it's windows 2000 pro...not winnt4(or are they the same?)...I really havn't a clue about windows tbh
    If you built a computer you should know what OS you have installed on it. If you don't, people are going to assume you're speaking through your arse.

[edit]
    Oh, and for broadband, you should set your MTU (maximum transmissible unit) to 1492 (Ethernet's 1500 max packet length minus an 8 byte header). Theres probably a registry fix around that will do this. Google is your friend etc.
    [/edit]

like I said (AGAIN) I assumed that windows 2000 was called windows nt. Dont' ask me where I got this from.

I've tried updating to the latest drivers to the latest ones from the website with no luck...I suppose I could try again but I dont think it will make any difference.

The modem is definitely installed correctly, I checked that when I first installed in on friday night...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

you can say that again...
    like I said (AGAIN) I assumed that windows 2000 was called windows nt. Dont' ask me where I got this from.

Yes you can call Win2k NT (Win2k = 5.0, WinXP = 5.1) but you specifically said NT4 there's a MASSIVE difference.
    Next up you'll post a thread up here asking for help with USB devices not working in Win95 and then correct yourself that its actually Win98, then you'll bitch because people made fun of you and did'ent help you properly.

Post correct information and people will help you...

And I agree with swiss, your being labeled a troll because you built a PC, but you don't even have a clue what OS you installed on that machine.

Do you get disconnected?
    Have you installed all the updates & service pack 4 for Windows 2000.

Cabaal - there's a big difference between making a mistake with windows 95/98 and making a mistake with windows 2000 nt and nt.......

Frank Grimes - No I don't get disconnected, just the connection starts off fine for about 10 minutes only to start slowing down then to slow down so much that I can't use the connection...

Frank Grimes - No I don't get disconnected, just the connection starts off fine for about 10 minutes only to start slowing down then to slow down so much that I can't use the connection...
    Can you ping IPs or URLs?
    Did you install the updates etc.?
    Is the modem installed as RFC1483 or a PPP device?
    You'll have to give more info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cabaal - there's a big difference between making a mistake with windows 95/98 and making a mistake with windows 2000 nt and nt.......

Hmm really is there?
    Win95 complete ****e USB support (in later builds)
    WinNT does USB even work on it?, last I checked nope (though I did see a mention about some drivers for it)

The point is you should know what OS your using before you ask a question about using something with it.
    just live with it that you made a mistake and move on..learn from it

Originally posted by Cabaal
    WinNT does USB even work on it?, last I checked nope (though I did see a mention about some drivers for it)
    SP6a provided some USB support.
    AFAIK most vendors didn't bother rewriting drivers to take advantage of it though.

There is no such thing as "windows 2000 nt".

There's Windows NT 3.1, Windows NT 3.5 (both of which used the Windows 3.x GUI), there's Windows NT 4.0, and there's Windows 2000.

Win2K says "built on NT technology" on the startup screen, but Win98 and Win95 have far more in common than WinNT4 and Win2K do.

For one thing, MS doesn't support USB devices in NT4, which is why it matters what OS you're running.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    There is no such thing as "windows 2000 nt".

True but you can reffer to Windows 2000 as NT5
    and Windows XP as NT5.1

But in the starting post of this thread it was reffered to as NT4 which is totally incorrect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

you nerds :p give it a break, he made a mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I've never encountered windows 2000 before and I just assumed it was called windows nt..get over it...
    troll.jpg
    p.s. - why the **** would I "troll" this????? [/B]
    attentionwhore.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

By a curious coincidence I actually have those Alcatel speedtouch 1.6 drivers on my hard drive. I downloaded them ages ago for someone else. The drivers are PPPoA however, so may not be compatible with Eircom (again I don't know if istream goes over PPPoA or PPPoE - can anyone verify?).

In relation to your connection dying, I'm tempted to trot out the "physical connections" lecture I have had to give many times when I used to work in tech support. Are the two PC's in physically seperate locations, that would necessitate the use of other physical wires/connections? Are you using any extension cables etc? If you are - try moving the PC right next to the phone socket and using just the connections you were given with your istream pack.

Secondly, you can try checking for any adware or spyware on your system - two good utilities for doing this would be Spybot search & destroy and ad-aware (the latter can be found at www.lavasoft.de - google for the other one or get it from www.download.com). If you do have any spyware on your system, remove it, but be advised that if you're using a download utility like Kazaa Media Desktop, it might not work after you do this (if you are using this tut tut :D - use Kazaa Lite instead).

Next, disable any firewalls you might be running, and if you're using bandwidth managing software, disable that too.

Finally if none of that works, see if you can test another dsl modem (if possible). Another "last resort" solution might be a format/reinstall of windows job. I remember one time I did a fresh install of Win xp and it turned out to be missing several networking .dll files. Why they didn't install was beyond me but another reinstall of Win XP solved the problem.

Fixed the problem by installing windows xp professional. Now the new problem is that I get the option to boot either win2k pro or winxp pro at startup...

could be worse...anyways thanks for the help anyway

Originally posted by swiss
    (again I don't know if istream goes over PPPoA or PPPoE - can anyone verify?).
    It's all PPPoE in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement