Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on eBay?

Options
  • 07-12-2003 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I was perusing the items for sale on eBay Ireland and found 3446034165 which is a laptop being sold by someone in Dublin for a hefty STG£375 ... but then at the bottom he has written that the price does not include VAT !! ..is that legal to do on an auction?? ... I have never seen someone charge VAT on eBay so I reckon it is against eBays rules as well ..anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

The seller appears to be a company so they're obliged to charge VAT ???
    http://www.eolascomputing.ie/
    Seems pricey compared to other deals on eBay UK - but then not all will ship to Ireland unless you agree in advance.

Don't know the full story on eBay and VAT. Wasn't some EU law passed this year about adding VAT to online purchases from outside the EU???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

If the seller is VAT registered they have to charge VAT if the item is sold within the EU.
    This is normal procedure on eBay.
    If the buyer is VAT registered in their country then the seller only needs to confirm the buyers VAT number and can export the item(s) without VAT to the buyer.

(no, I'm not an accountant - only speaking from personal experience from buying & selling on eBay for a few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like a rip off. It indicates a price lower than other comparable offers, which don't exclude VAT. And STG£375 for a P500 :rolleyes:

Advertisement