Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a credit card

Options
  • 07-12-2003 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭

hi i'm 17 and will be turning 18 next april. is it hard to get a credit card, i only would use it to make online purchases and if i'm really really really stuck for money.
    but most times when i'd use it i'd make sure i'd have the money (in solid paper cash form).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

seriously think about this before you go ahead. they are very bad things. it's like having free money and really doesn't feel like you're spending until you get the bill.

stick with a laser card if you can. i know you want it to make online purchases, but they can cause lots of problems.

if you are someone who is very responsible with your money then go ahead, but they are a really strong temptation that is hard to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm using my dads card atm and i always pay him before i make the purchase so i guess i'm kinda responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask for your father to give you a second card on his account - dangerous for him, but it means soemone can keep an eye on your spending - it is just too easy to spend with a CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

it is just too easy to spend with a CC.

True Vic but if he gets a student cc then the limit is €300-400 - which with a par-time job is very managable.

Just remember to setup 100% direct debit on your current account so you never pay the interest!

tribble

ps - they will increase your limit to c. €100 after 1-2 years - don't let them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

A credit card might seem like a really nice thing to have now, but its a luxury you could end up paying for in years to come.

I'd recommend you look for a student credit card in your own name and pay off in full every month. If they don't give you one, then basically shouldn't have one. Credit cards are a dangerous means of rolling credit in that unless they are cleared in full they can become a big problem if your finances change. I'd recommend sticking to a laser card if at all possible.

• Advertisement

yeh i like the idea of the student card.

like i mean i would never use the card unless i had to cold hard earned cash cos i've know a few ppl who had gotten into serious trouble with CC's so i will not end up like them because my dad had drilled it into my head for the past two years.

he said "u can get a card but make sure you have the money" his exact words and somehow i think it's stuck with me.

like say if i want to buy something and i have no money but my monthly wages is coming next week i wouldn't order til i have the money in my hand even though i know i'm 1 week from getting the money and i'll have the money before the bill comes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

vibe666,
    I wasn't able to get a laser card as a student. The banks (i tried, aib and boi) just will not give you one citing some rubbish about it not being real time. A credit card was easy to get though!:rolleyes: I would recommend laser too but I don't think it's possible as a student.

i checked out the idea of student CC but do u have to be in college or just over 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Yep, with BOI anyway you have to be a third level (college) student and you have to open a college bank account with them. As a secondary level student they will only give you an ATM card. Here's a link to info on the college account and student credit cards with BOI. BTW BOI gave me a laser card, credit card and cheque book so you can get these things on a college account if you ask nicely. ;)

http://www.bankofireland.ie/html/gws/students/third_level/account_for_you/key_features.html

It may be different in other banks, check out AIB etc..., but I'd be really surprised if a bank would give a secondary school student a credit card even if they were over 18.

I take it you're still in school? If so best to stick to using your dads credit card for the moment. You'll be in debt for long enough as a college student :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ShaneHogan

Originally posted by PhoenixRising

It may be different in other banks, check out AIB etc..., but I'd be really surprised if a bank would give a secondary school student a credit card even if they were over 18.

Ulster Bank gave my brother-in-law a credit card at 17 - he had a fair whack in his deposit account with them and had a good track record with savings over a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got a card with Permanent TSB. Told them I earned €6000 a year from my part-time job during college. Ended up getting a card with €1500 credit limit on it.

They're pretty easy to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by ShaneHogan
    Ulster Bank gave my brother-in-law a credit card at 17.

That is surprising. I know that BOI and AIB will not issue cards to anyone under 18 years of age. They might issue cards where they are added to their parents account as an additional card holder. I don't know if there is an age requirement in such cases, but the main cardholder must be > 18 years old. I'm sure that this is so the person is fully responsible for his or her own finances (in the eyes of the law anyway).

Advertisement