Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

128/256k cable connection mmmm

Options
  • 20-12-1999 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this yet? www.cablenet.ie
    128/256k cable connection mmmm
    Almost worth moving to Swords/malahide for, but not quite.
    Prices are £30 a month for 128k and £45 for 256k with vat not including once off charges etc.
    WANT!

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

b o l l o x same thing happenened with cablelink.ie about a year ago, wheres it now then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

128 or 256k aint great for cable, plus did they mention that the more users in the area, the less bandwidth you get?

its like BT in England, they reduce the bandwith of ADSL from 2048k to 512k, and increase the subscription charge. That sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ah yes, but 128k constant cable connection for 30 quid a month is better than 64k isdn line for 30 quid a montha nd then your calls

mind you, cable is dependent on how far up river you are. the further down you are, the more ppl have ****ed in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

There was also some stoopid bandwidth tarif last time I looked, 200 megs per month and then £2 per additional meg ? LOL 200megs a day plz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

2 quid per meg ?
    haha remortgage the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

Download charges may apply.

lol thats like somethin outta the simpsons.
    'ACTUAL EVENTS MAY NOT HAVE HAPPENED'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Where does it mention download charges?
    And I think it's value for money, I pay £17 flat rate at the mo per month for my entire net access. If I double that I become an lpb, get my phone line back and can download goat pr0n faster than I can... ummm...

I've said too much again.. smile.gif

Point taken Castor about the degrading bandwidth if the whole road has it. But from what I've read on sites around the net it applies pretty much like a lan. If everybody started downloading a big file at the same time then performance would degrade but only then. Also what percentage of people that even know about cable access let alone are planning to get it?

The other thing I like about cable is that the data goes into a utp cable which then feeds into an ordinary ethernet card or a standard hub. Great news if your a mini-lan muppet like me smile.gif

Cablelinks site still has no new info. I love the way they have a link which says Click here to be informed of cable access in your area (or something) which chucks you into the form for their quarterly propaganda^W magazine.

[stream of conciousness dis-engaged]

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 21-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

From what I've heard Cable Link are meant to start rolling it out in March.

Are you sure that cable modems will suffer from distributed bandwidth? I thought that was only some forms of ADSL (phone). But I could well be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yup check out this article. Explains the whole thing AND WITH KEWL PICTURES!
    http://coverage.cnet.com/Content/Features/Techno/Cablemodems/ss02.html

Extract:
    Cable TV's "tree and branch" architecture makes it hard to provide a signal of consistent quality along the cable. Every time the cable signal is split, it becomes weaker. Companies can use amplifiers to boost signal strength, but these often introduce noise that can cause errors. To address this problem, some cable companies are upgrading their systems to include fiber-optic lines as well as coaxial cable.

End of extract.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 21-12-1999).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

We're gonna have mad Quakers running around their area looking for the (unt downloading giving them a 100 ping. We'll if anyone else in fizboro or de park is thinking of getting cable watch your neck ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yeah cmi are currently the only game in town :/

Cablelink have been running trials over the past year, but the public's faith in them to deliver the goods has kinda gone down a notch since the roll out dates they announced were found out to be a scam to boost their share price.

Well hopefully this time they arent messing around, and theres some truth in the rumour that Rathfarnham/Churchtown will be the first areas to receive the service smile.gif

Advertisement