Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet connection sharing

• 07-12-2003 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I want to keep my existing firewall program (Kerio personal firewall) and i want to share my internet connection with my other computer.

What software sharing solutions are compatible with Kerio, and has anyone used Kerio while using ICS?

Alternatively, what firewalls have people here used with what ICS software.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dmcgee

I am not familiar with that firewall software or how it would work with ICS.

However I am assuming that you want to have multiple machines behind a single broadband connection. The best way to go about that is to invest in an ADSL modem/router which will maintain the connection, (usually) act as a firewall/port filtering and also handle DHCP and NAT to share the connection for your individual machines.

This has the major advantage that no particular machine on the home LAN needs to be on all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I second dmcgee just get a router it's easier in the long run! and your net connection is up all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you can do it for free, then why spend money on extra hardware.

ZoneAlarm has no problems with Windows ICS. Can't imagine Kerio would have any, it's a good firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

he has an IBB connection (unless he changed recently?)

if you can, perhaps use WinRoute Lite for the net sharing, its a lot better than ICS.

Ye but if there is a far easier way of doing it why not go for that?, I had ICS set-up and now I have a router set up for the home network, I tell you I will never go back to ICS it was hell compared to the ease of use of this router.

• Advertisement

yeah, having everything just there in hardware is so much easier, nothing can mess up the settings then. I will be getting a wireless/ethernet/dsl modem/router once i get my eircom broadband, none of that stingray crap.

Originally posted by marclar
    none of that stingray crap.

Emmm stingray?, like as in the fish?:confused:. Is MS branching out into really wierd stuff or what!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i tried winroute lite and couldnt get it working at all. firewall enabled or not.

I also tried sygate home network (and office network) but they only work when my firewall is disabled.

Then i decided to try Sygates firewall, which promptly blocked the ICS even when i had everything set to allow! I even changed the option to allow all traffic, and still Sygates ICS didnt work until i quit sygates firewall.

I;m flumuxed.

And tthe reason for software, is that the main computer will be used practically all the time, and the second computer would only really be used when the main one is occupied, so at the moment theres no point in buying hardware.

Umm OK here's an idea how about not using any firewall s/w?. I know I'll get given out to but seriously if you can't get it to work with it then try without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I have the Iol USB modem and I have shared the internet connection with another PC (Adhoc wifi network)

The main pc is running xp pro and the other 2000 pro.
    And I am using kerio 2.1.5 aswell.

You don't need any software to do this, if your network is properly configured, just go to the advanced tab in the properties of your internet connection and check share connection, it is as easy as that. This is if you have xp (you didn't specify your os)
    The other machine should detect the connection.

The tricky part is kerio, close kerio when configuring the shared connection it will save you an headache.

what I have done is created a rule in 2/ any protocol both direction - remote endpoint single address 192.168.0.2 or whatever address you have given your second pc.

In miscelleanous I have ticked running on internet gateway.

And in microsoft I have created a LAN rule
    network/mask
    network address: 192.168.0.0
    Network mask: 255.255.255.0

Not sure all this is entirely necessary but it is working for me.

• Advertisement

oh, ant Mutant_Fruit, check your PM's.

i got a wireless AP, it can be connected directly to whatever ethernet internet source ya want, it has a wan port. plug in other PC's, aweh ya go! works well for me. i dont care what you say, it was worth every penny.

Advertisement