Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Recommendations?

• 07-12-2003 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC to a P4, so among other things I'll need a new PSU. Any recommendations? Was thinking of a Chieftec 360W from Komplett, but will this be sufficient? Will be running a Radeon 9600XT and Audigy 2, SATA HDD, DVD drive and CD-RW drive, as well as some USB devices - though most of them don't draw power over the USB connections as far as I know.

Should I be looking for a higher spec PSU? From what I hear, some of the cheapo 400W+ can sometimes only deliver
    power as low as 220W in reality.

AD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

360W should be enough but if I were you I'd go for more 400W name brand PSU. Whatever you do don't get a cheap PSU always get a good name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Chieftec should be fine for now. Mind your PSU will probably outlive the rest of your PC. Power consumption by CPU and GPU is increasing all the time. I would recommend the Zalman 400W PSU which is also silent :cool:

It's power rating is almost 450W, pretty much the same as the PSU considered to be the most powerful around: the Antec TruePower 480.

Expect to be paying in the region of €100 for either. A lot for a PSU I hear you think, but deffo worth it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Since the topic of psu's is being mentioned instead of creating a new thread I just thought I'd ask is a 300W ps sufficient for a p4 with a ge-force fx5600 + dvd drive , 80gid hd .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

420w is minium for a p4 of any kind.

i tried putting a 400w in my p4 rig and it failed on installing winxp :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I am running a P41.5ghz on a 300w ps maybe that is my freezing problems but only the odd time when playing games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Cr3m0

no,

a good brand quality PSU from 320w ist absolutely sufficient.

We installed a lot of P4 systems with 320w be quiets.... never any problems.

It is like OfflerCrocGod said: go for a quality one (enermax, zalman, be quiet etc. etc.) and you will be happy.

Also, the more expensive ones are usually less noisy....

jow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Enermax psu are brilliant, i had power problems last summer,

I spent €100 on a enermax psu and it has been smooth sailing since!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I bought myself a Gold Qtec dual fan 450W psu from the for sale board a good while ago and haven't looked back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

how can you find out what voltage your PSU is?
    Mines a dell P4, thinking of getting a 9800 pro soon so need to know if i need a new psu.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Open up the computer case and look at the PSU
    There's a sticker on it which will tell you about the power output.

• Advertisement

Had a look at the sticker there. It says DC output 250w
    Is that a really poor PSU? The pc is only 3 months old, P2.4, 512 RAM , 120 HDD.
    Dell.....

250 would be below minimum if you wanted to put anything else in there. Typical Dell, they only put in the absolute minimum required.

If you start adding hard drives, serious graphics cards, multiple fans etc then 250W just wouldn't do it.
    But, if your system is working ok then there isn't really any need to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Cr3m0

Im using a 350W in my rig and its absolutely perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Kananga
    250 would be below minimum if you wanted to put anything else in there. Typical Dell, they only put in the absolute minimum required.

If you start adding hard drives, serious graphics cards, multiple fans etc then 250W just wouldn't do it.
    But, if your system is working ok then there isn't really any need to change it.
    Hi,

you have overseen: "I have a Dell"

I am pretty sure that you can forget about changing the PSU of a Dell. :mad:
    They don't have the standard ones, or does actually somebody here was able to install a new one?
    All the Dells I have seen have "special" designed ones. This ensures that the customer "can" buy a new PC every 3 years ;)

jow

Dell's PC's are designed to be the cheapest from a manufacturing point of view.
    Their machines have lost a lot of build-quality in the past few years. The motherboards are basic, basic, basic.
    They are not designed to be upgraded by the end-user at all.

shower of b%$tards. So that rules out me being able to buy a decent gfx card after christmas. I was thinking of getting a 9600 pro or something along those lines. Im not interested in extra hard drives or anything like that. Would it handle the gfx card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Dempsey
    Im using a 350W in my rig and its absolutely perfect.

ok maybe cos my psu was a Q-tec

but in all fairness there is no point skimping trying to save money on the most important device in a pc.

Originally posted by L5
    shower of b%$tards. So that rules out me being able to buy a decent gfx card after christmas. I was thinking of getting a 9600 pro or something along those lines. Im not interested in extra hard drives or anything like that. Would it handle the gfx card?

It would depend on the card but I would recommend a new one if you're upgrading.
    Make sure it fits though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 afdarcy

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a 400W Antec. Hopefully it'll be future proof enough (as long as Intel don't change their spec again - nah, they never do that...)

AD

Advertisement