Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Newbie Advice for Boards.ie

Options
  • 07-12-2003 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

You navigate around Boards.ie by using the drop-down menus at the top of every page. Boards.ie is divided into sections for each grouping of forums. For instance Admin is a grouping of forums related to the running of Boards.ie, if you move your mouse cursor over the Admin part of the menu at the top of the page it will expand to show you the forums in that section. You can then just click on the forum you want to go to and you will be taken there.

Newbie FAQ (that's Frequently Asked Questions) in the Admin section would be the handiest board for you right now. Before you ask a question on there have a look around to see if the question has been asked (and answered) before. There's a "Search This Forum" text area at the bottom of each forum page that might help you find what you're looking for.

A lot of newbies just post in either After Hours or Newbie FAQ no matter what their post is about. Don't do that please. If you have a Newbie question it should go in the Newbie FAQ, programming posts go in the Programming board, Film posts go in the Film board... you get the idea.

You can configure the different aspects of your account by using the UserCP (User Control Panel). The link to the UserCP can be found in the links under the ad at the top right of every page.

The key to getting to know boards is to look around and read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Puck for Newbie FAQ mod.

That is all.

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where is DEATHGIVER2003's guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by amp
    Puck for Newbie FAQ mod.

That is all.

*ahem*
    Actually amp this was my first act as mod. Thanks for the support though.

The plan is this thread will be used for general advice on navigating around boards and getting to know the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah yes, should have known. Mod tag update et al. Carry on the good work. Ta ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hoors Knickers

is there anywhere that lists all recent threads, as in the last few hours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hoors Knickers

Ok, I'm an idiot - just found it on the main screen d'uh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Deadstar

I seem not to be able to access the chat rooms, it shows sponsired by such and such
    and that' is all, what am I doing wrong?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Deadstar
    I seem not to be able to access the chat rooms, it shows sponsired by such and such
    and that' is all, what am I doing wrong?:(
    if you are in work or college then there could be prob with using the chatrooms.
    Download mIRC and follow the info here

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

hey how can i report people in the chatroom for being unfriendly rude and insulting??especially a user called bubbles!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

chatroom??????????
    what chatroom?
    where is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

front page, left hand side.

chat.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

gubby wrote:
    chatroom??????????
    what chatroom?
    where is it?
    It's [url=irc://irc.quakenet.org/boards.ie]irc://irc.quakenet.org/boards.ie[/url] there's an applet that lets you connect on this site, but IRC applets suck TBH.
    The channel is semi-linked this site and semi-independent. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=402 is a forum about the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

If I want to go into 'unreg' mode in personal issues how do I do it? I'll probably kick myself when I realise the answer but, anyways any info would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

log out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes, just don't log in and enter aname when you are posting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If I want to go into 'unreg' mode in personal issues how do I do it? I'll probably kick myself when I realise the answer but, anyways any info would be appreciated.

The instructions are in the Rules and Charter of that forum,
    which I'm sure you've read....

Advertisement