Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's institute baptism by state

Options
  • 07-12-2003 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this might be appreciated here a bit more than in Humour.

http://www.thepost.ie/web/Sitemap/1.2did-342362027-pageUrl--2FBusiness-2FComment-and-Analysis.asp
    Let's institute baptism by state
    By David McWilliams

A few years ago a mate told of a brilliant christening he had been to in Fermanagh. The grandad had had a few too many and was a bit out of sorts in the church.

An old-style Northern priest bamboozled the punters. Eyeing the locals, he demanded: "Do you renounce the Devil?"

The congregation,taken aback a bit by the hectoring from the pulpit retorted sheepishly: "We do." The priest came back with "Doyou renounce the Devil, and all his works?"

"Oh, we do." Grandad was getting fidgety, convinced the priest was fixing on him.

"Do you reject Satan and all his words and deeds?"

"Oh we do, we do," bayed the punters. Grandad was freaking out. His mind was racing, filled with guilty images of himself up at the bar with old Ned - necking a small one - while the cloven one kissed the innocent child before him.

"Do you reject Satan, his works, his words and all his temptations?" growled the priest.

Before anyone could respond, up jumped Grandad in the front row and bellowed, "I do, I do, I hate the f***er, so I do". The nave cracked up, shoulders going, the priest didn't know where to look, and Granny was mortified.

Advertisement