Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember when the 20p coin arrived ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

There was also another coin. A UN commemorative which had a dove on it.
    I never saw this one but I have a Pearse coin.

[IMG]http://members.boards.ie/silentdeath/UN Pound Coin.jpg[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I remember exactly [well not exactly, but fairly exact :dunno:] when I got my first 20p in 1986. My dad was in Best's [O'Connell Street] getting a new suit & the salesman gave him 2 in the change which my mam gave to me!!

I love memories :)

I have to say, I love the old money! This €uro cr@p really annoys the hell out of me. The notes are forever tearing & the coins are awful! I'm too young to remember the really old money [before decimalisation], but I have a few of the old coins in a jar somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I remember when I first visited Ireland and finding most of the coins familiar in size and shape, but the 20p really stood out as being totally different to the British version, ditto the £1 coin. Just another of those things about Ireland that seemed to be similar enough to home to feel comfortable, yet different enough to remind you that you're in another country.

I have a couple of old pre-decimal Irish coins floating around here. It seems as though they were kept the exact shape and size as British versions with just the designs changed. Is that the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

Ya remember it well, I was in national school and the teacher showed us one, it was so shiney and golden I wanted her to say that I could keep it - but she didn't - CNUT !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

When the 20p coin came out, a game of pacman down the pub suddenly became twice as expensive. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ah ye, I was in 5th class. The Girl in front of me had one. I was so jealous. Lovely shiney gold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Originally posted by yellum
    Notes last 11 months in circulation isn't it, compared to a good few years for coins ?

The average €5 note lasts approx. 2 weeks. Lower value currency is circulated more frequently than the larger value notes.
    I heard some form or rumour/speculation that there is a plan to make the €5 & €10 Notes from cotton instead of paper... which should make their life approx. 6 weeks.

After that, there is a debate as to make the €5 & €10 like they do in Australia, ie. mostly plastic content in the paper, or else to turn them into coins.

I reckon a coin should be used for the €5 note... I'm sick of gettin mouldy old fivers that resemble ribbons of lettuce!! :p

I was in 1st year in secondary school when the "new" 20p was introduced. I didn't get my hands on one for nearly 2 weeks... Oh the excitement and anticipation!

I think the Lottery Scratch Cards were introduced that year too, around October i think?? And then the Lotto came about 4 yrs later? There was such a scandal about the scratch cards in my school... Catholic country introducing gambling etc etc.
    Wot a loada horse poo! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by Kersh
    Lovely shiney gold...

Is that the coin, or the girl? :D

Two weeks seems an awfully short average life-span for a note. Hardly worth the trouble of printing them if they last that short a time. Surely it has to be a little longer than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ah the girl was nice too:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I think the Lottery Scratch Cards were introduced that year too, around October i think?? And then the Lotto came about 4 yrs later? There was such a scandal about the scratch cards in my school... Catholic country introducing gambling etc etc.
    The Lotto actually came here in 1987, a year later. My neighbour made headlines when she won £721243 (I remember the figure exactly) in August 1988, it was the biggest amount ever won at the time. I think it was a triple rollover. Now a triple rollover is worth so much more, and as for the English lotto......

Advertisement