Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quake3 (help)

Options
  • 18-12-1999 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

umm , I bought q3 there today and when I installed it , I could see any gl drivers in the system menu. I have a voodoo3 3500 installed but I am having no luck with trying to get q3 to recognise it has gl drivers. I think it must be q3 fault as the opengl drivers works fine in half life. Ne ideas guys on how to get q3 recognising my gl drivers?

Jelv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Jelvon, go here http://www.upsetchaps.com/quake3guide/displaydrivers.html and follow Aqua's instructions for registering and downloading the Wicked 3d OpenGL driver for q3.

This driver is up to 20-30% better performance wise, I presume your machine should be able to see it once installed, tho you never know sad.gif I installed it on mine and q3 switched to it automatically. Hey presto, along with some of Aqua's other tips, fps went from 40-70 and everything's a hell of a lot smoother.

btw you MUST be using an Intel CPU of this driver will be of no use to you.

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 18-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

@rse, I'm downloading it now, but of course I have a AMD cpu. Just my freakin luck.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 18-12-1999).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

cheers caster , I got that sorted , any way of turning on shadows? One more problem though , when I try to play online q3 tells me that someone else is using my cd key !!!! but I bought the game fair and square like . I will kill the S.O.B that is using my key, any way of getting around this problem?

The 'someone else is using your key' message is a generic error. Check you can ping the q3 authorisation server, also, the key must be entered with lower case letters only, it will not accept upper case.

Plus make sure you are entering the CD Key and not the barcode on the back of the case (1000505.201.UK) sounds daft I know, but there has been a lot of cases of people doing this so far smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The WickedGl should work fine on an AMD cpu Athlon/Voodoo3000 test 1.08 runs like a dream. Will pick up the full version when I get home, but I can't see it suddenly deciding not to work on the real thing.

• Advertisement

Its not that it doesnt work, its that theres little or no improvement over the 3dfx OpenGL with it. In some cases, worses fps rates have been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I Got a pretty noticable improvement. I'd guess about 20% at least (Went from the odd slow down at 1024 to silky smooth).

Advertisement