Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Con Scanlon Strikes Again

Options
  • 08-12-2003 11:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

The use of the word "Independent" must be an embarrassment to the automatic-writing hacks in INM at this stage. They might as well have Tony O'Reilly and George Soros penning the articles. I don't know how they sleep with the taste of Sir Tony's arse in their mouth.
    The Irish Independent carries an article by Con Scanlon, chairman of the Communication Workers' Union. The union believes that the policies and strategy of the Minister for Communications and ComReg are fundamentally flawed. According to Scanlon, the regulatory environment in Ireland rewards re-sellers, discourages investment and could eventually destroy Eircom.
    Fingers crossed, eh Con?
    Regulation is strangling telecoms infrastructure investment

THE Communications Workers' Union believes that the policies and strategy being pursued by both the Minister for Communications and by ComReg are fundamentally flawed.

We have long argued that the economic and social interests of this country need a regulatory environment that is pro-investment, pro-growth and supports sustainable development of the communications sector.

Unfortunately, we have a regime that rewards re-sellers, discourages investment, and if it continues could eventually destroy Eircom. Much of the debate on telecommunications policy in this country is based on discredited analysis and failed policies.
    Speaking of embarrassments, I imagine the real unions find the CWU nothing short. Talk about selling your soul to the devil. We Fight For The Workers! (Allthough we'll happily take a few quid instead, no probs Tone!)

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Bill Murphy should get come of his BT ESAT staff to join the CWU and help Con avoid confusing his role as an eircom sharholder with his role as a defender of workers interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

if it continues could eventually destroy Eircom

So eircom is destroyed? Big stinking deal. The infrastructure would still be there. All that lovely infrastructure would have to be sold, and maybe, just maybe the message would finally have gotten through to the powers that be that allowing the owner of the infrastructure to dictate the price that it's competitors must pay is not conducive to a healthy market.

Of course, Charlie would insist that it be sold to the highest bidder, and we'd just end up with eircom Mark II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!! Even though I'm on holiday's and away from Ireland's Internet mess that made my blood boil. I've hacked together a piece here. Hopefuly on my return I'll get a chance to speak with the CWU offically!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Very good Dave!

The irony off Con defending Sir Tony's interests must be a source of considerable amusement to many inside and beyond the trade union sector.

The CWU should be expelled from Congress for this sort of double think advocacy.

Remind me exactly how much of Eircom's shares does Con control through the ESOT?

Time to rebrand the company as EirCon perhaps

Advertisement