Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd party cheques

Options
  • 08-12-2003 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Are 3rd party cheques legal? If the original payee signs over the cheque can the third party lodge it ok to their bank?

Also are cheques payable to cash legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Are 3rd party cheques legal? If the original payee signs over the cheque can the third party lodge it ok to their bank? Also are cheques payable to cash legal?
    AFAIK they are legal - just be damned sure they have cleared before you hand over the merchanise. You would also need a good explanation as to why the original payee can't give you cash or a cheque of their own.

If in doubt don't accept it or don't hand over the goods until you have spoken to your bank and confirmed the cheque is OK. If needs be also check with the cheque signer that it is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cheques payable to cash are also legal. Pretty dangerous though for both the payer and payee - it's the equivalent of walking around with a signed cheque with no payee where you can't enter your own name to give you some protection. In other words, I'd take one but run to the bank with it pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most "cash" cheques are for small amounts (e.g. petty cash for €100) - if you get one cross it (two parallel diagonal lines) and it can only be lodged through and account then and not taken as cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Yes, both types of cheque are legal.

However, if the signature does not match the bank's copy of the signature it will be returned. I would not accept a 3rd party cheque from somebody I did not know. It is just the same as taking a cheque without a cheque guarantee card.

Advertisement