Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Lights at Terenure Cross

Options
  • 08-12-2003 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think the traffic light sequesnce going into town needs a radical rethink here? It seems that the "green" traffic lights in this diagram aren't synched up with the "red" or "blue" ones. I've lost track of the number of times I've been sitting on a bus stuck in a queue on Templeogue Road (red arrow) and have watched my lights go green, then red, then green etc but the traffic goes nowhere because the "green" holding space is full of cars who have come down Terenure Road West (blue arrow)

Sorry for the MSPAINTness of it all, couldn't think of a better way to explain this...

terenure.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's going to be slightly improved now, since they've elminiated the right turn on to Rathfarnham road, so lights sequences can either be shorter or longer.

The problem lies with that right turn onto Terenure road west when travelling west from the cross. In order to facilitate traffic turning onto Terenure road west, the red lane on your map needs to be stopped. So blue and green can be open and moving, but then if you want red to be able to go, you need to keep green open, stop traffic turning onto terenure rd west, and open red. But then westbound traffic gets clogged easily.

It's a typical Irish, badly designed junction. I've always found myself less pissed off when light sequences are short all around (~30 secs), so the ideal solution IMO, would be as follows:-
    Eliminate all right turns at the cross between 7am-8pm. Eliminate the right turn onto Terenure road west permanently (there are quicker ways to get the KCR from Terenure).
    Let A1 be the condition where Blue and green are open
    A2 is where Red and green are open
    B is where the north and southbound traffic lights at the junction are green.

So.
    A1 for 30seconds.
    B for 30 seconds.
    A2 for 30 seconds.
    A1 for 30 seconds.
    B for 30 seconds.
    A2 for 30 seconds.
    etc etc.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    Kimmage road west
    You mean Terenure Road West (from Terenure to Kimmage)?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Victor
    You mean Terenure Road West (from Terenure to Kimmage)?
    D'oh! Always make that mistake. Fixed now.

Advertisement