Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally we can compare...

Options
  • 19-12-1999 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I actually have nothing relevant to say as i have played neither, but since i can see that this will be a *really* long thread i just wanted to get the first reply smile.gif

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cr^sH

SECOND!!!.

I've played Quake 3 load's since i got it and i think its absolutely brilliant i havent played UT half as much but from what i've seen and played of it QUAKE 3 runs away with it and QUAKE 3's single player could keep any player going for a good while on NIGHTMARE skill...I still havent cleared it yet, And as for the level's in QUAKE 3 they are excellent especially the Bouncy Level it's pure class as is q3dm11..But the levels i have played in UT where quite ****e really..so that completes my little passage reply smile.gif.

PS- The Railgun is BRILLIANT.

Merry Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

quake 3 is a brilliant game but and this is a big BUT , why the hell did they put a cd key into it? I can't even play online q3 now as some pirate has stolen my key!! had least in UT you can play online straight out of the box. This problem of cd keys is affecting alot of ppl ,my guess is that id will have to remove cd key and when they do q3 will truly rock.

Jelv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Jevlon, you've typed yer key in wrong. You think some pirate is online playing q3 every single time you try and authenicate?

don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

What actually happened is jelv typed in his BARCODE instead of the CD key!!! Then he spent 2 days *****ing about it before he found out!

Mills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

yeah turns out my cd case doesn't have a cd key =( oh well , I have since got a cd key from somewhere, and I was right , it is great fun online, soz about acting the tool there! =)

Jelv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Now that I have both games in my grubby mitts I can finally give an opinion on UT v Q3.

Basically this one is going to be a matter of fashion...

UT has been impressing me lots lately. SCrew DM, they dont know how to do it, and Dom is a bit gay with bots but assault is the business and just TOO much fun to play (cant wait to get my ISDN line and kick ass on assault with sniper rifle...) UT deffo wins on mods straight out of the box, although you can bet that it wont be long before mods arrive in numbers for both games.

Both games are dazzlingly pretty... pfff who cares.

Q3 wins in the physics dept but only by a small bit. I dont like UT not having strafe jumping but Q3 could do with a LOT more air control...being able to control the parameters of the server (rather then having Mr Cormack's opinion thrust unwelcomed on us) is the way to go but I dont much like the way UT handles out of the box...

Weapons are about equal, UT has some stinkers, and has some killer weaps.. Q3 has the usual array, but we know and love them...

The Q3 maps win for duel and wars it seems to me, ctf is about equal, dom and assault go to UT. (ID know what makes great fighting levels, Epic has created some incredible set pieces.)

UT bots are smarter, Q3 bots are weirder and better graphically which is the one area of graphics I do like to see prettified! I like UT's command structure but its hard to give commands in the middle of the game without being a sitting duck...
    Both games bots are not what I would consider up to scratch.

UT wins in fps but I havent toned down Q3 enough yet, both are power hungry, with UT less so.

Thats about it, in general both games are excellent, though Q3 is made for netplay and suffers in single player a little.I havent tried either on the net yet so I cant comment on that aspect.

I reckon, q3 for wars and duels, UT for assault and dom, either for ctf (though UT might win that one).

I wonder how long this thread will take to degenerate into slagging match smile.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Ut is by far the better game for me havent had this much fun since the qw days before q2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well as far as I'm concerned UT is now my Game. When I play Q3a I half expect Tom & Jerry or Fu<kin Barney the paedophile dinosaur to jump out, its too cartooney. DeVore says he likes the physics I feel they suck bigtime, no real aircontrol at all and the "feel" of the game is just not right (for me). CTF on UT is absolutely brilliant when you get players together who know what their doing, ie some very intense games. I'm not a major DM fan but I enjoy playing it in UT, its a chore in Q3a no real enjoyment at all. Alot of people have said assult is the dogs bollix in UT I still have to warm to it.

Also you can't beat the feeling of pure joy when you sneak up on wwman on Two Faces CTF and at point blank blow his head off as he snipes your base smile.gif

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf gandalf@gibworld.com

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lol
    youre only sour grapes coz i snipe everyones heads of...and im damn at it as well smile.gif

stick me and musician on the same team and yis are all buggered!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm with Gand here but I'll be honest and say that I 'aint got Q3A just yet (no money sad.gif). With UT I'm learning all over again but nobodys an expert so I won't be murdered. I haven't played that much of Q3test so I'll already be miles behind skill wise. Even at that part of what made me dislike Q3 was it's similarity to Q2. I mean mainly in the sense that Q2 players to my mind will be able to make the switch very easily. As a result I'll be murdered repeatedely.
    As Gand says the CTF is top notch. I've played some very intense games but even when they are intense I can go for some light relief and fly a redeemer after a flag carrier or just do a bit of sniping. There are 2 or 3 CTF levels that for my mind are classics, Lava Giant being my fav.
    Finally I don't understand why Dev says you're a sitting duck when giving commands. Like any game, even Q3 I'm sure you can bind keys to messages and dispense with the shortcut menu if you wish. My only gripe with UT is the dodging. Sometimes you dodge right into lava by mistake which is annoying. Other than that UT is the game of the year in my book.

M

• Advertisement

i think q1ers would make the switch more easily to q3a
    its a very fast game unlike the slow plodding q2
    however, since i have been playing UT for a while, i am of course leet in q3a anyway.
    but dont tell my missus or she'll kill me. its suppose to be her xmas pressie for me smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

I haven't played the full version of UT yet so I can't comment on it - but comparing with the latest demo...

We played Q3 ctf for a bit at jedi's lan last weekend and it was brilliant - loads of times where people were standing up pointing and shouting "you FUC*ER!!". I don't know why, but there are way more captures, etc than Q1 ctf and it's more fun without the grapple that's for sure. I really think it rocks - give it a go gandy - I know you'll love it.

UT has way better framerate than Q3, but that's because it's using an older engine.

I think the air-control sucks bigtime in both games. It takes no skill - you just push strafe to go where you want. In qw, air control was totally different, pressing strafe/back like that would kill your momentum and you'd fall down - you had to hold on to your forward momentum by only moving along with your current vector.

I know it's only cos I'm used to QW, but I really think it's air-control was the best - you could move in the air, but only with a bit of skill. Still, once you get used to it, the UT/Q3 air control isn't that annoying.

One thing is - does anyone know what makes id-engined shooters feel different? UT and Q3 have the same type of air control(just Q3 has a little less of it), and yet they feel totally different. Maybe it's the fov or something, but UT, Blood, Klingon honour Guard, AVP, etc all have a totally different feel to the id-based games - doom, quake, q2, kingpin, halflife, etc.

To me they feel less solid than the id games, but I don't know why.

Looking forward to trying out the full version of UT though - that assault sounds like a laugh.

p.s. anyone looking for a good Q3 config for FPS, talk to El Pres - he gave us one that made a big difference to our FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Ut for fun and Quake3 for serious duels and tp. Thahts what I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

That was mostly me shouting "YOU F*CKER!!" with Jedi doing it a bit as well smile.gif
    Those CTF games were pure class.

I love q3 and to be honest im too poor to buy UT so it looks like I'll never be able to make an informed educated decision and just stick to Quake like like a sheep.

Ahhh well. There are worse things in life then being a sheep... unless you live in Cork that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Quake 3's lack of professional ethics has become so flagrant that it merits your complete attention. I assume you already know that Quake 3 keeps coming up with new ways to fragment the nation into politically disharmonious units, but I have something more important to tell you. My message has always been that Quake 3's zingers blend noxious insurrectionism (manifested in a scary stance) with a purported support for environmentalism, trade unionism, and the dignity of labor. Quake 3 is a small part of a large movement that seeks to abet a resurgence of unrealistic neocolonialism. Quake 3 is differentiated from your average capricious sybarites by virtue of the fact that it wants to suppress controversy and debate. Often, the lure of an articulate new pundit, a well-financed attention-getting program, an effective audience generator, hot new "inside" information, or a professionally-produced exposé is irresistible to illogical unpatriotic chuckleheads who want to create widespread psychological suffering. Although everyone has goals, Quake 3's goal seems to be to resort to ad hominem attacks on me and my family.

I must emphasize this because Quake 3 is living in a dream world. In spite of all Quake 3 has done, I must admit I really like the organization. No, just kidding. As reluctant as I am to admit it, Quake 3's cronies internalize and adapt to the unwritten realities they must work under. Who could have guessed that Quake 3 would lower our standard of living? It's not just that Quake 3 will fail if we unite, but also that it is unable to use the English language effectively or correctly.

Given Quake 3's record of shady dealings, its ideas are founded on lies. You may be shocked to hear this, but I am fed up with Quake 3's out-of-touch and insidious behavior. Please keep in mind that the natural result of Quake 3's expostulations is an intolerance that, in the long run, tends to shred the basic compact between the people and their government. Quake 3 should just quit whining about everything. May we never forget this if we are to deny Quake 3 and its lackeys a chance to twist the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Hobbes what pills you on, and where can i get some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

19th smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Quake 3 : the new communism

heh heh I got a new toy to play with...

http://www-csag.cs.uiuc.edu/individual/pakin/complaint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<bull****>
    just a small point..
    lack of air control in q3?
    jump on any jumppad and press forward..
    lots of air control.
    UT's air control is just stupid especially on that low grav err instakill level.
    if you mean the way its a lot harder to turn when bunny hopping/strafe jumping thats to do with the friction on the ground, not air control.
    </bull****>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

From now on all pro Q3 ppl shall be known as the reds. All non-q3 ppl (UT, Tribes , AOE etc) shall be known as the whites.

History repeats itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah the games called Capture the Flag not "Hide on the ledge like a big wuss with a sniper rifle" tongue.gif

But the funniest thing about that game last night is I appeared right behind you and stood there for a few seconds and you didn't even move. I had enough time to change weaps to the sniper rifle, scratch me bolli>< and then kill ya.

Oh and you and muso would only win if you played against newbies who never played a fps before.

Here can we arrange a UT CTF game with the old school CTF'ers(q1 & q2) ie non of these morons newbie Tk'er dickheads who've been on the last few nights.

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf gandalf@gibworld.com

aint that th truth

anyway, sniping is more fun than getting the actual flag
    and its very funny killing someone who is sniping, then when they respawn at the side of the building on facing worlds and shooting then again
    and then if the respawn there again you get then

i'll be on at about half eleven tonight, so if you can manage to stay awake til then old man....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I play both so that means I am Pink?
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!!

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Or just Anybody's.

Oh, the youth of today..........
    ____________________ WWW.HamsterDance.com

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 21-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I really hate to say it but after a couple of "assualt" game(operation overlord) Q3 nowhere near as good as UT. But still it's a great game. UT is better

Kali - LOL smile.gif

I bought Q3A and now I'm regretting it. The game is kack. Maybe it will be better when there are mods out, but considering what I got with UT when I bought it against Q3A, it's not worth the cash.

Q3A seems to be candyfloss. All sweet and cute looking with no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i have both games, i am currently, each nite, playing Q3 ffa on the campinggrounds until my fingers break. Thats 1 class map smile.gif

I have yet to find a map in UT that makes we want to play it over and over and over and over and over and over and over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ButcherOfNog is telling it like it is.

Jimmy...

Advertisement