Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent CPU Heatsink/Fans

Options
  • 08-12-2003 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Not too sure if this is the right forum, so Mods move as you feel necessary.

where is the best place to pick up some zalman heatsinks/fans in ireland. I've looked at www.overclockers.co.uk and www.peats.ie but i'm looking for something a little cheaper.
    Does anyone have their own two cents on which type of fan/heatsink i should go for. I have an Athlon XP 2000+ and i basically want to make my system as silent as possible, the noise it makes at the mo is pi**ing me off. Plus if the radiator is up to high in my room, my cpu has a tendency to get too hot and just freeze/reboot. I also need a heatsink for my motherboard fan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

afaik overclockers.co.uk are the best when it comes to stealthing/quieten your pc.

i've just ordered a zalman CNPS7000CU to cool (silently) my p4 3ghz

i'd suggestion the AMD model for your setup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Depends how much do you want to spend:p?. For the quitest solution water cooling can't be bet, take a gander at these kits from HiTiDE.ie, they are expensive but you will get excellent cooling and low noise. Take a look also at the 'quiet' PSU on the same site, I have one and it's quiet - not silent; but there is no such thing anymore cause above 300W it's VERY dangerous to get passively cooled PSU. Zalman are good but better are thermalrights animal heatsinks, if you can't afford H2O cooling this is the best HS you can get; stick a quiet fan on that and bob's your uncle.

Oh and another thing if you want to quieten your PC you must quieten EVERY SINGLE NOISY component in your PC, in other words PSU, HS Fan, HDD if they are noisy replacing just one element WILL NOT BE ENOUGH!. I dont know how much I can stress this fact, I recently replaced all of the above to get a FAR quieter machine then what I had, but if I put just one old piece back in to the computer the noise shoots up. By the way for AMD chips the SP 97 HS from Thermalright cannot be beaten by anything other then H2O, place a quiet fan on it and you will get the best quiet air cooling solution at the mo'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Cheers for the info.

How much do u think the whole thing would cost to do. Ain't flush with money at the moment.

Ignore that last post, i didn't see your first one OfflerCrocGod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

www.pc-look.com for all you modding needs at the right price.

I ordered some stuff with them to silence my pc, was delivered in France then but they say they deliver anywhere in europe.

They even have a dedicated silent section.

Equipement wise if like me your not to confident to play with water cooling, I would go for a Fortron power supply, to cool the athlon a thermalright SLK 947U heatsink + a 80mm fan (PAPST 8412N/2GMLE) a Zalman's CNPS7000-AlCu cooler. But be sure your mb has mounting holes.

Might want to add a second PAPST 8412N/2GMLE to blow fresk air in your machine.

If your video card is recent and a bit too noisy, consider a Zalman ZM-80C-HP (i have installed one on my 9800 pro with the optional fan)

And you should barely hear Your pc anymore

One last thing if you don't already have a HD get a seagate barracuda.

Must second all of Fabres suggestions, there exactly what I'd go for, now price is......the prob:D. It wont be cheap but when you think about what your replacing you will changing out out an awful lot of your PC (if you include a new HDD - I have a Barracuda it's fantastic and quiet; not silent, but silent HDD dont exist) look at around 300€ at least ;), shop around though and you should end up with a fantastic quiet PC.

Cheers lads,

Didn't think i'd get such a response. That french site seems to be the cheapest, i can get a zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu and chipset Blue Anodized Alu for bout €45 inc p+p. That sounds like a very good deal to me. btw, what's the difference between the CNPS7000A-AlCu and simply the CNPS7000A-Cu. And is Socket 462 the same as Socket A. On the site it sais Socket 462 is supported by the zalman cpu heatsink and it also states clearly Athlon XP's but i though athlons used socket A.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Must second all of Fabres suggestions, there exactly what I'd go for, now price is......the prob:D. It wont be cheap but when you think about what your replacing you will changing out out an awful lot of your PC (if you include a new HDD - I have a Barracuda it's fantastic and quiet; not silent, but silent HDD dont exist) look at around 300€ at least ;), shop around though and you should end up with a fantastic quiet PC.

tbh, i have a maxtor 40gb that doesn't make a whole load of noise. and i'm really only concerned bout the noise my computer makes when it's idle. I think i should be able to get away with the chip and chipset fan/heatsinks, however as you said previously the psu might be a problem too.

Thanks 4 your help lads.

• Advertisement

oh, and is it safe to stop the fans of the chipset and cpu just for a moment, to see how much noise would be left when i replace them.

Ye sure I do it all the time when I'm testing how much noise my fans make, not for to long though, Socket 462 Socket A same thing.

those 2 zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu and CNPS7000A-Cu are compatible socket A, but since they are using the mounting holes it doesn't really matter.

Like you can see the only difference is the heatsink on being copper/aluminium the other ful copper.

Full copper is better.

FYI:
    Periodic Table of the Elements Thermal Conductivityl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Cr3m0,
    Let me know how you get on with that Zalman, i have a 2.4 running at 3.2 but the stock fan is as noisy as hell. how long and how much for delivery?

Rabbit

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    Cr3m0,
    Let me know how you get on with that Zalman, i have a 2.4 running at 3.2 but the stock fan is as noisy as hell. how long and how much for delivery?

Rabbit

i will indeed mate it left england today so i should have it thursday by the earilest. i'm getting other stuff with the cooler aswell so that made delivery more expensive than if i was to get it on it's own. delivery was £22 (48 hour) for 4 fans the CPU cooler and a GFX card all from www.overclockers.co.uk

what's the difference between the CNPS7000A-AlCu and simply the CNPS7000A-Cu.

zalman_cnps7000_AlCu.jpg

and this

zalman_cnps7000_Cu.jpg

one is copper and the other is aluminum with some copper in it. solid copper one will be heavier

Seriously Zalman just don't make the best this is just one of many reviews which shows the cooling power of the SP 97 (or any of the highend coolers from thermalright). Since we are talking about quiet PCs lets let the experts says what they think about it. Those HS have one drawback - they may not fit on your MB you can check it up on the TR web site I think they keep a database of MB which work.

If one of them fits SP - 97 *should* dump the idea of getting a Zalman and get one of those babys stick on an undervolted fan and Voila - quiet:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The difference between the Zalman alcu and cu heatsinks is almost purely weight ... there is a very small difference between the temp per watt of either ....
    I have a 6500 alcu ... in silent mode (fan rpms very low) its 0.36 degrees C per watt, normal mode (faster rpms on fan, little bit of noise) is 0.3 degC/W ..
    Compare that to the all copper version ... silent mode is 0.33 degC/W and normal mode is 0.28 degC/W ..... very little in it ...
    They used to recommend that you remove the all copper heatsink from the motherboard when transporting the computer because the all copper version is over the max weight allowed by Intel
    To quote Zalman
    *The maximum weight for a heatsink is specified as 450 g by Intel(Pentium 4). If a heatsink which exceeds the relevant weight limit is installed in a computer , special care should be taken when the computer is moved. Zalman Tech. Co., Ltd. is not responsible for any damage to a system or a CPU occurring when moving a computer with an overweight heatsink.
    The alcu is a good bit lighter than the cu, 400grammes ... compared to 914grammes for the copper version ...thats nearly a kilogramme :eek: ...

I must agree with OfflerCrocGod, the thermalright heatsink with a papst 80mm fan would be my first choice aswell if I didn't had my psu above the cpu. I actually have an Glacialtech - Igloo silent breeze 462, 19dba doing is duty perfectly, but If this one broke down I would probably get the aluminium/copper zalman but again it is only because it would fit under the psu.

also from the wallet point of view the thermalright + fan thats €60, where you can get the on of the zalman for €33 or €44.

Btw the full copper zalman is 773g not 914g like BigEejit said.

/edit

Realized BigEejit was talking about the CNPS6500B-Cu not the CNPS7000-Cu like mentioned before.

the CNPS6500B-Cu is zalman fully passive cooling solution, it look like this

6500bcu-4s.gif

Originally posted by Fabre
    those 2 zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu and CNPS7000A-Cu are compatible socket A, but since they are using the mounting holes it doesn't really matter.

Like you can see the only difference is the heatsink on being copper/aluminium the other ful copper.

Full copper is better.

FYI:
    Periodic Table of the Elements Thermal Conductivityl

what's the story bout taking out the fan that's allready on my chipset. it seems to me like it's glued on and won't budge without taking the chipset along with it.

just got my zalman today and fitted it. it was hard to fit for me but maybe easy for a pro.

well the low down is:

using arctic silver 3 getting 35 degrees with the zalman fan (on normal mode which to me has made a lot of difference of the noise of the pc) this is compared to 40 degrees with stock cooler.

i'm really impressed.

the picture i posted of it doesn't really do it justice it looks tiny in that picture but it's massive.

also if you get it make sure it's screwed in tightly cos the thing weighs a ton and if it comes loose it's bye bye computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

is that a load temp or idle?

Originally posted by cuan
    what's the story bout taking out the fan that's allready on my chipset. it seems to me like it's glued on and won't budge without taking the chipset along with it.

You are putting a passive heatsink on your chipset aswell?

Ok it is a bit scary to do, but you should be able to remove the current heatsink/fan without killing the chipset, the glue will let go way before the chipset do (... usually).

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    is that a load temp or idle?

idle but it's in a room with heating on full blast. it is winter after all

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Cr3m0,
    Your temps should drop another degree or two over the next few days. Mine dropped from 39c to 37c over 3 days as the silver grease bedded down (was 41c idle with silicone thermal paste).
    I have all Zalman cooling (CPU, NB & gfx) and it's really quiet now (3 fans total)

yup i know,

i still have four fans on my case 2 as intake one silent ystech at the back and one silent ystech at the top.

i have to wait til after christmas day to get my radeon 9800pro with a zalman fanless heatsink to replace my old gf4 ti4200.

i've noticed a huge drop in noise and hopefully the gfx card will help aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

www.hitide.ie are doing the Zalman CNPS 7000A Cu and the Thermalright SLK947U for socket A and 478,I'd get one if i didn't have watercooling already ;)

CombatCow

Cr3m0 you seriously think that the Zalman fan on normal is quiet!!!, I have mine down to "silent" and if I were to turn it up to normal I'd feel blasted away by the noise, like a jet engine!. I suppose you do have other fans in your comp so they probably hide a lot of the noise, I have 2 CPU fans and that's it. Even those two are too much for me I'd love a water cooled set up:D.

Just checked out HiTiDE yes!!!!!! they do have the thermalright HS!!!! it's €50 but it would be worth it with a quiet fan, afto say HiTiDE is shaping up to be a really cool little shop you can get water cooling or the best in passive cooling excelent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

that makes them the first reseller of thermal right good in ireland afaik

• Advertisement

oi lads, i know it's slightly off topic but......

my computer is crashin/freezing loads these days, it only seems to happen when i put the cover of my case back on. so i'm presuming it's got to do with the cpu or chipset overheating. now i've searched google to find siv (gigabyte cpu temp viewer) but i can't find anything, so i can't tell what temp my cpu is at.

The thing is i didn't have this problem since the summer when there was a little spell there where it got very hot and humid. Now over the last few days when it got a bit humid the same thing starts happening. does this sound normal.

I presume if i got those zalmans it would sort both my noise and crashing problem.. Any ideas.

Advertisement