Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent CPU Heatsink/Fans

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

get motherboard monitor 5 to keep a tabs on your temps do a google search for it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Cr3m0 you seriously think that the Zalman fan on normal is quiet!!!, I have mine down to "silent" and if I were to turn it up to normal I'd feel blasted away by the noise, like a jet engine!. I suppose you do have other fans in your comp so they probably hide a lot of the noise, I have 2 CPU fans and that's it. Even those two are too much for me I'd love a water cooled set up:D.

it's certainly a lot quiter than the stock intel fan i know that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

ok , tis running at 55 with the case open, then when i put the cover back on it lingers between 60 and 61(chipset is 35). this is in a more or less idle state( i'm just browsing the network). That doesn't seem too healthy to me.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Gigabyte Ga7dxr+
    256 Crucial ECC Registered Ram
    Geforce 4 mx440 Graphics card.

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    get motherboard monitor 5 to keep a tabs on your temps do a google search for it

btw, thanks cr3m0 for the tip

Originally posted by Fabre
    You are putting a passive heatsink on your chipset aswell?

Ok it is a bit scary to do, but you should be able to remove the current heatsink/fan without killing the chipset, the glue will let go way before the chipset do (... usually).

cheers m8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Originally posted by cuan
    ok , tis running at 55 with the case open, then when i put the cover back on it lingers between 60 and 61(chipset is 35). this is in a more or less idle state( i'm just browsing the network). That doesn't seem too healthy to me.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Gigabyte Ga7dxr+
    256 Crucial ECC Registered Ram
    Geforce 4 mx440 Graphics card.

60'C idle is very hot for an xp2000+,did u build the pc yourself,you sure there is thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu ,or the heatsink is on the right way round.Good luck!

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

60 Idle is too high, what kind of cooling do you have on your cpu atm?
    Did you put the thermal paste yourself? make sure there is some only on the cpu center piece (what the name of that part btw?)

I get 52 at full load in a micro atx style case, psu above cpu fan.

Btw my previous mb was a Ga7dxr+ it was on that one I put a passive heatsink on the chipset so keep pulling :)
    I killed it while changing the cpu heatsink, a classic case of screwdriver ripping on the board :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

OK try this program here to cool down your CPU if it has a VIA chipset it should work, if not try it anyway no harm done. Ohh by the way make sure Enable Idle loop is on or you wont be achieving anything:D.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    OK try this program here to cool down your CPU if it has a VIA chipset it should work, if not try it anyway no harm done. Ohh by the way make sure Enable Idle loop is on or you wont be achieving anything:D.

that's a good link, but i'm a bit slow adding unnecessary background services to my computer. i like to keep my xp installation to a minimum. hopefully that zalman can do the job for me.

Originally posted by Fabre
    60 Idle is too high, what kind of cooling do you have on your cpu atm?
    Did you put the thermal paste yourself? make sure there is some only on the cpu center piece (what the name of that part btw?)

I get 52 at full load in a micro atx style case, psu above cpu fan.

Btw my previous mb was a Ga7dxr+ it was on that one I put a passive heatsink on the chipset so keep pulling :)
    I killed it while changing the cpu heatsink, a classic case of screwdriver ripping on the board :(

hmmm, just thinking bout what u said reminded me that when i put the heatsink on it had the remains of some thermal tape on it from a previous install which i couldn't get fully off. I did put thermal paste on it, but the tape is probablly the root of my problem. thanks for your help.I'm just going to buy the zalman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by cuan
    hmmm, just thinking bout what u said reminded me that when i put the heatsink on it had the remains of some thermal tape on it from a previous install which i couldn't get fully off. I did put thermal paste on it, but the tape is probablly the root of my problem. thanks for your help.I'm just going to buy the zalman.
    That explains everything!!! ;)

That is the reason for you hight temperatures...

So, do yourself a favour and remove the remaining thermal pad _before_ you install a new (or the old) heatsink.
    You can easily clean the CPU-Die with nailpolish-remover.

Use a thin fabric with acetone (nailpolis-remover) on it, then gently wipe the CPU.

When you removed everything, a small drop of thermal paste and thats all.

regards,

jow

Advertisement