Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin QBCs

• 08-12-2003 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

There is now a QBC in operation on the N4, Con Colbert Rd and St John's Rd.

A new QBC comes into operation today, Monday, 8th December on Laurel Lodge Rd and the Castleknock Rd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Victor
    A new QBC comes into operation today, Monday, 8th December on Laurel Lodge Rd and the Castleknock Rd.

Came through there this morning, thank god for school holidays, no cars at all.

Tomorrow there will be chaos, where the traffic backs up can easily hit a 30min queue that encourages rat running in the estates off the main Laurel lodge route. The bus lane will work, but it will increase the tailback, and will increase the rat running. So overall a zero sum move in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Does anyone know where I can get information on the proposed Blackrock Rock/Merrion Roads QBC ?
    Has an implementation date been set yet ?

Can't see where it will fit anyway, without some sort of tidal traffic-flow system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

from Victor
    There is now a QBC in operation on the N4, Con Colbert Rd and St John's Rd.

Whoop dee doo.

A route I know very well. Pity there's no buses to run on this 'QBC'. Well one an hour perhaps. A waste of time and effort. Most of the buses coming in near Heuston Station travel along Conyningham Road onto Parkgate Street. Apart from the Express buses and there is feck all of them.

There has been a QBC along Lucan Road for 7 or 8 years now. One of the first AFAIK. It still takes about 50 minutes to Heuston Bridge. Could take another 20 mins to O'Connell bridge. Freeflow doesn't matter. The disappearance of the bus lane from Watling St to Arran Quay is the cause.
    One incomprehensible routing of the bus lane is down the slip road to Liffey Valley / Kings Hospital. Why would anyone get on/off the bus there? No the bus goes down that road to waste 10 minutes of every passenger's time. FFS!

Would like to see bus route planners use the bus for a couple of weeks to see where the delays are. They won't find them with their heads up their @r$es.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by a_ominous
    Why would anyone get on/off the bus there? No the bus goes down that road to waste 10 minutes of every passenger's time. FFS!
    Is there not a stop there to serve Liffey Valley?

There is a stop at the footbridge that servers Liffey Valley. The stop I'm referring to is on the slip road on the city-bound side. Not near St. Loman's Hospital, the Deadman's Inn, Kings Hos.

Actually you just reminded me of the new footbridge between Woodies and Fonthill Road. Never seen anyone using it. See a few peds walking from Ballyowen Lane across the dual carriageway to get to the bus stop. Think the footbridge was put in the wrong location. About 200 metres too close to the city. :confused:

Who are we to question the mandarins in the SDCC / Dub Corp? I'll wait another day to rant about Adamstown...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Actually you just reminded me of the new footbridge between Woodies and Fonthill Road. Never seen anyone using it.
    AFAIR that was one of the first bridges and predates the bypass, liffey valley, and most of the housing estates in the area..

RE: Adamstown - due to the closure of haydens lane, the time it takes me to go around the Finnstown estate has increased 20 minutes. Also with the exception of Link road that ends up at Newlands Cross, the four nearest bridges over the canal are one way traffic only. (Ballyfermot ,Clondaklin , Newcastle road , the one near Newcastle/Hazelhatch)

@Capt'n, I had hoped to give more info on the specific bridge. I wanted to check the name of metalworks / welding company on the Lucan bypass, but got hit on the motorbike on the way in today, so it wasn't top of the list. I think the company is Sureweld. That's the bridge I'm talking about; it's only been built in the past 2-3 years. I think St Andrews housing estate is on the far side of the wall on outbound side. Used to be a water tower there.
    Don't even recall seeing Barnhall RFC banners hanging on the bridge.

Bike collision not serious. Kept the rubber side down ;) Phew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sureweld/Surepower - they've been there ages ...
    Yeah same bridge - at the crest of the hill could have sworn it was older - must be getting mixed up with the palmerstown ones..

the sooner they block the gap opposite hermitage golf course the better....

I think the gap at the Hermitage will be left until the Outer Ring Road is done. Or until someone is killed, perhaps.
    A dangerous junction, with traffic from the golf club and city bound cars trying to get to Texaco station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I saw those new bus lanes being painted a few weeks back and literally :rolleyes:

As was said, buses rarely use that route, and traffic is woeful there even when there were two lanes. Thanks god for the bike is all I can say.

There are a few anomalies in Lucan. The slip road at the Liffey Valley bridge being one. Most buses I've been on, attempt to do a quick check to see if anyone wants to get on/off there, if not try to use the bridge. This really only works in the evenings though with light traffic.

The second one is going under that same bridge (going either towards the Deadmans, or up onto the slip onto the N4 - there are two lanes, one is a bus lane for no visible reason. There used to be a "Bus lane not in operation" sign up, but it disappeared a day or two later, so I suspect scumbags just tore it down for the craic. A lot of people know it though, so it doesn't cause to much hassle in the mornings, only in the evenings.
    There are no buses that go under that bridge. Yet. Although there is a sign at a site beside teh new B&Q that says "Site for future bus terminus", so I'm thinking that they're planning on enhancing the bus services to Liffey Valley/Clondalkin/Lucan/Ronanstown - something that's sorely needed - and putting in the bus lanes before the buses are set up. Which is fair enough.

Something will have to be done about that slip at Foxhunter/Texaco. Maybe when the ring road is completed, the bridge into lucan village will be widened, and that slip can be reconfigured. Although opening the third lane on that part of the carraigway would solve a few problems too. Anyone know wtf is the story with having a third lane, but having it closed off for no reason?

• Advertisement
Advertisement