Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volunteers

• 08-12-2003 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi folks

i've checked with deVore before posting this so please don't eat me :-)

The company i work with is testing a billing add-on for multiplayer games and we're running a trial next week. Just wondered if anyone was interested in taking part?

The way the thing works is that we're having a gaming session in one of the net cafes in Dublin (sorry anyone outside the pale) next monday (15th). The game has a built-in billing/scoring element so that whenever you kill someone you win some credit (about 10c) and whenever you get killed you lose some (about 13c). It's basically a competition.

We're using Quake 3 as the game for a couple of technical reasons but also because it's got a nice arcadey feel to it. Oh, and you'll be supplied with credit to play the game-the whole thing is completely free. What we want to see is how people enjoy/hate the type of gameplay that emerges etc and that the billing component of the whole thing behaves. And yes, we can probably guess some of this ourselves but we'd really like to see what other people make of it.

That's about it. We've space for about twelve people. So if you're interested, PM me and i'll get you details.

Cheers-bats

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

it'd keep crap players off the servers at least (too expensive)

whats the charge if its a team game and u tk? Or frag yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

what time on monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

blitz: good question. Won't be any teamkill in this one but we'd think about 5-7c loss to the person who committed the frag. Depends on the game really.

tba: early evening monday. Finalising exact time by around midday tomorrow. PM me for other details if you're interested.

bats

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If any one is interested in knowing more about this we've got a news artical on it here... http://gamire.com/gamire/newsitem?id=541

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

do you really think people will want to pay for somthing they can already play at home?, and at home there is no risk of them loosing money (apart from fone bills like)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

....commented demonWare’s cofounder Dylan Collins....

:D thats my brother :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

do you really think people will want to pay for somthing they can already play at home?, and at home there is no risk of them loosing money (apart from fone bills like)

Yeah, but that way there's no chance of them winning money either. I have to say I like the idea - get it working on Crimsom Skies and I could be a millionare :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If done right, it could be good; the potential to win money is a slightly novel approach.

For some games it could force people to act realistically, and in general it should improve standers of gamers (at least using this system). All as long as the cost isn’t too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Nice way of punishing weak players and a nice way of slowing online games down to a crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Aye, nice way to encourage players to use all the dirty scum-bag tricks - anything for frags.
    This makes cheating an even more important issue now that there's money involved.
    Couldn't see it working outside of a secured LAN environment tbh... not unless you get some serious legal backing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement