Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading Music

• 08-12-2003 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I'm really starting to fall behind....what programs are still up and running? First Napster disappeared, then Kazaa got shut down, then Napster came back but you had to pay, now WinMX is buggered....

Someone tell me where I can download some music!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by DArcy
    now WinMX is buggered....
    How is WinMX buggered?

I use eMule and Soulseek.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

Over the last few weeks everytime I search for a song or artist, it doesn't find any matches, or it just searches for an eternity without any luck.

Maybe it's just "my" WinMX that's buggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Kazaa was shut down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Kazaa was shut down?

No, it wasn't. Kazaa Lite was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Bard
    No, it wasn't. Kazaa Lite was.

Are you sure? I'm using it right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i use kazaa lite, but bit torrent is good for full albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

As far as I know it was just the Kazaa lite website that was shut down. It still works, because it piggybacks on the Kazaa protocol.

2 mins searching on Google and you'll find somewhere to download Kazaa Lite. (not that I advocate this sort of thing of course...!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i use ARES, got it from download.com, tpye ARES into the search box on the top left,
    its very good, lots of music if you have a decent connection,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by robbie1876
    (not that I advocate this sort of thing of course...!)

you should, 'tis fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

is morpheus still operating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Originally posted by lordgoat
    i use ARES, got it from download.com, tpye ARES into the search box on the top left,
    its very good, lots of music if you have a decent connection,

So........ what sets this apart from every single p2p program out there??? Lots of music if you have a decent connection? Thats very nice of them. Sounds about as good as the original Napster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Kazaa Lite Resurrection has taken over where Kazaa Lite finished. Quite good it is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

As far as I know, Kazaa Lite nodes are being slowly filtered out by the Kazaa network. Over time, Kazaa Lite will simply stop connecting.

What about anonymous file-share? I heard Shareza was meant to be anonymous, but when I downloaded it, it came with a load of dialer spyware, so I never used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yum yum adaware yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Soulseek is the biz. www.slsknet.org
    Be prepared to share though as most users take a dim view of people sharing none or very little and will ban you. You can find some very hard to find stuff here.

www.audiolunchbox.com

File sharing, fast and legal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

soulseek is the bomb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭vgar

www.mycokemusic.com

Is okay, but you do have to pay per track 99p.

Good selection though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm using shareaza atm

no spyware there at all or dialers

i've scan pc with Ad aware 6 and Spy Bot Search and Destroy

not a thing popped up. (that's mainly cus i don't use IE anymore )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i dont download individual mp3s of individual songs unless they are posted by the producer themself. i download mp3 mixes from www.dogsonacid.com and www.deephousenetwork.com

downloading music hurts people who are trying to make a living out of it, and considering well over half of the people whose records i buy on a regular basis are stil not making enough money to be able to give up the day job i reckon its impossible to justify downloading anything other than low quality mp3s for evaluation purposes. [and even that is only to get some idea of what a tune sounds like on decent speakers before braving teh wonky decks and ****ty headphones down in my local shop]

My general policy is if I can do an audioluchbox (ie. listen to the streaming version on their site) and like it, I'll buy it (generally online). If they only sell CDs, unless they're a local band, I'll try to download some first, and if I like it I'll buy it (I listen to a lot of music, and buy much more than my fair share of albums).

Matter of policy though, if its a copy-protected CD I will *never* buy it. Since I only really listen to music on my PC and in the car, it's just a very expensive frisbee as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by vgar
    www.mycokemusic.com

Is okay, but you do have to pay per track 99p.

Good selection though!

That works out at approx €17 for 1 album! with a bunch of stupid cppy protection systems integrated too.
    Does the music industry really think this will coax people away from free file sharing.
    I will stick to kazaa et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by John R
    That works out at approx €17 for 1 album! with a bunch of stupid cppy protection systems integrated too.
    Does the music industry really think this will coax people away from free file sharing.
    I will stick to kazaa et al.

it is a joke. i hear it is .wma files on that site too which i don't like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It's another OD2 site. I've used the Freeserve one for the odd track. They offer albums from £7.99 sterling, but some of the new ones seem a lot dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

£8 (€12) for a cd delivered to my door or in a record shop is just about acceptable, for a sh!tty low-medium bitrate mp3 (or even worse a wma) it is a complete rip-off. Around 30c per song would be more like it, even then I would only consider it if they were mp3s of at least 192Kbps.

Like I say, audiolunchbox is about €9 per album, and they do them as MP3s or OGGs. It's quite convienient too, they have a bigger catalog than any shop and the music arrives in minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Like I say, audiolunchbox is about €9 per album, and they do them as MP3s or OGGs. It's quite convienient too, they have a bigger catalog than any shop and the music arrives in minutes.

kazaa and edonkey networks have a pretty big catalog
    aswell and they dont attempt to screw u by charging u 5
    times 2 much

• Advertisement
Advertisement