Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps2 Mod

Options
  • 08-12-2003 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Is there someone selling and installing ps2 modchip in Dublin, I remember one in D15 but can't find the name anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Gamezone on talbot street do it a bit expensive but you get a warrenty so its kinda worth it
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

how is €120 for modchip + installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

forgot to add m8 I am the guy in D15!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Check link below ;)
    just make sure if you are getting a chip, stay away from Magic3.1 - ITS EVIL :)
    stick with messiah2/dms3/duo/magicV

tbh I am was thinking of getting a DMS3 V2.0 ModChip.

I should be moving to canada in a few month so I am looking in what modification will be needed to get it to work there and still be able to use my games and dvds aswell as the canadians one.

So far I have identified the following
    - 220V to 110V Stepdown Converter (50 Watt)
    - DMS3 V2.0 ModChip (direct boot right?)

am I missing anything?

oh and I found the link I was referring to in d15 it's www.dvdireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

sorry had to delet that.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Originally posted by darkmaster2

just make sure if you are getting a chip, stay away from Magic3.1 - ITS EVIL :)

Why are you saying that? IS it bad or something?

Im curious aswell. To be honest I live in D15 and would prefer the messiah or dms3 chip aswell.

Tv in canada are ntsc so with the modchip the ntsc games will play but not the pal, guess I have to find some kind of converter for the signal aswell.

Also found out it possible to replace the ps2 psu by one doing Auto voltage from 110-220V, very handy if you change country often. that cost 24€

Originally posted by Conor-Mr2
    Why are you saying that? IS it bad or something?

Im curious aswell. To be honest I live in D15 and would prefer the messiah or dms3 chip aswell.

I personally have seen a few dodgy Magic3 Chips, I have seen some work well for a while then just cause errors reading games after a period of time. Also there are a few games (splinter cell being one) that arent 100% compatable with magic3.
    There are new MagicV chips out now and they seem to be much better from what i read.

I have NEVER seen a bad Messiah2 and I have gone through 50 - 60 units of them. If you just want to play backup/import games then messiah2 is the job. DMS3 is good if you want to play divX, mp3 on your PS2, but it is that bit more expensive than the messiah2. BTW the messiah2 can play divX with the reality media player 2 with simple disk swap.

DM2

OK thanks!

Another question and I've been looking around alot on the net for this. I just want your points of view aswell....

PS2 support for DVD+R disks.

What have you personally come across. If you have found they are supported could you include the ps2 version aswell. This will influence me getting a chip.

• Advertisement

Al V9 Ps2 support dvd+r (model 50003)
    Some V7s do, and as you go father down the versions the chances of them working get less and less

Cheers mate.

I better go home and take a look at it. I have a feeling its an older version though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Has there been any reported problems playing PS2 games after a Mod with the Messiah 2 chip.

Also, when the Messiah 2 chip is switched off - is there any games that still detect it's pressence?

only probems (with the exception of a bad installation) are with two versions at moment- V3(SCPH 30003) and some V9s (these occur with all chips BTW) v3 lazers are not great with dvdrs and tend to fail after a while, v9s at moment are coming out of production faulty, they have recalled the silver v9s as, modded or not , they went tits up after a month or so , and the black v9s are coming with two different bioses?boards and one in particular will probably go bust again due to faulty production, my own belief is that Sony should have recalled all v9s but it would be too expensive...
    I mooded my v5 and is now running great even after a couple of years use..

Originally posted by ADSLUSER
    Has there been any reported problems playing PS2 games after a Mod with the Messiah 2 chip.

Also, when the Messiah 2 chip is switched off - is there any games that still detect it's pressence?

The messiah2 is completely compatible with online play, the chip can switched off and therefore cant be detected while online. At the moment its mostly only original copys of games will work for online play.

As regards the V9s, there has been a bad batch around and by all account there has been some recalls by sony. I have modded a few V9s silver and black, and all are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Has anyone used the Slidecard solution. Looks brilliant and doesn't even invalidate your warranty as no internal chipping. I would love to hear any feedback from anyone on this solution. Sounds better than chipping!

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Does anyone know if I can get a PS 1 mod done anywhere in Dublin? it's the PSX mod i mean, for the the original playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I bought a DMS3 V2 chip. Was going to install it my self, but it looks a bit too hard for me. Does anyone know anyone/where that will do it for me, and what kind of price should i expect to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Hi all,

I got a Magic 3.1 chip shipped and was all set to install it. The PS2 was easy enough to disassemble but I got a bit of a shock when I saw the size of the components involved.

I am quite used to soldering but with some of the soldering points are on individual chip points, even the solder I have is too wide.

Does anyone know where I can get a precision soldering kit or if there is such a thing for electronics work like this?

Also anyone else fitted a Magic 3.1 themselves? any pointers or diagrams?

Thanks a lot,
    Karl

I fitted a couple of Magic3.1, horrible chips nowadays though, way out of date.But if you have a version 5 They are OK.

The best place to get the stuff you need is www.radionics.ie

Here is your shopping list.

1 X Antex 15X soldering iron
    Antex 0.5 MM bit (im sure you can only buy these in packs of 5)
    Some kynar wire (30 awg)
    A flux Pen (Important!)

And the rest you might have, snips, multimeter (to check for shorts) and some good Insulating tape or hot glue.

Take your time and you can get diagrams here: http://www.simplymods.net/diagrams/magic/magic.html

Most important of all is not to rush it, take the whole day if you have to, and practice on some old circuit boards first.

Hope that helps ;)

Originally posted by karlh2001
    Hi all,

I got a Magic 3.1 chip shipped and was all set to install it. The PS2 was easy enough to disassemble but I got a bit of a shock when I saw the size of the components involved.

I am quite used to soldering but with some of the soldering points are on individual chip points, even the solder I have is too wide.

Does anyone know where I can get a precision soldering kit or if there is such a thing for electronics work like this?

Also anyone else fitted a Magic 3.1 themselves? any pointers or diagrams?

Thanks a lot,
    Karl
    :confused:

• Advertisement

btw an action replay or a gameshark is enough to play cdr and divx.

All the info on the use of the combo ar, gs + slide card here

And to play divx get the ps2reality mediaplayer.

you can get it here

and this this is the english forum for it.

Yeah,
    The reality player works really well with DivX and MP3,

There is a nero Image of it HERE
    It saves generating the ISO yourself :)

magic 3.1??? hope you got the genuine one as there are a lot of clones about...personally i found magic chips to be very hit and miss and once replaced with messiah etc machine would work perfectly...try here for troubleshooting with magic chips...w**.pstation.co.uk...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

thanks a million, great help.

i think ill just take my time and take my chances. Ive seen good and bad reviews about the magic 3.1. once its genuine i think ill be alright. it was dirt cheap, the only reason i got it.....here's hopin!

Advertisement