Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic card Problem

• 08-12-2003 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

i have a geforce 3 ti 500, 128ddr and with the lastest drivers from nvidia, this is what my desktop looks like.

Dtop.jpg

can any one help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Looks like GFX Card Overheating, Actually Id say im 100% sure its Overheating.
    Is the card overclocked at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

nope i dont think its overclocked. how do i check if is o.c?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well if you haven't overclocked it yourself it shouldn't be overclocked. When did this happen? was it just after changing to a new driver or anything?

edit just thinking it could still be overheating even if its not overclocked if you about to get a fan failure or something? you could try underclocking it see if it helped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Ouch! Well if something like that was happening to me what I would try would be:

1) Uninstall the graphics card drivers completely - try different ones (sometimes the "latest" drivers are only beta (or even alpha) releases. For that geforce try 40.41 drivers or something.

2) If the problem still occurs, check if it does so for varying screen resolutions and screen frequencies. Maybe it's just a glitch at those frequencies.

3) If so go back to your onboard graphics on your motherboard (if you have onboard gfx) and check whether it really *is* your graphics card that is giving you this hassle. If the problem still isn't fixed it isn't your graphics card - I'd be thinking it's the motherboard itself or a Windoze problem.

4) If onboard works fine try underclocking your graphics card, or adding extra cooling to your PC by popping off one side - or by adding in a few fans. If the problem still happens I'd start wondering if I was still within warranty of that card. :(.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hey !!! I recognise that DNA trace !!! :D

Seriously though, it looks like a hardware rather than a driver problem, most likely video memory on the card. Start in Safe Mode and see if the artifacts disappear, if not, then chuck the card.

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Did you check if the fan on the card is working?

If it is, do you want to sell the card rather than chuck it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

i've had this problem before with my own card geforce4ti 4800se, after a reboot the graphics would look screwed up, it was the version of drivers I was using that messed it up. Although mine looked a bit more glitchier, you might have a different problem, but give a different set of drivers a go. When uninstalling the drivers use the det remover can be got here Guru3d they have the latest drivers and removes there.
    Gl,
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If it's like that as soon as you bootup then I'd be 100% sure it's not overheating.
    Displaying a desktop is not at all likely to be pushing the envelope of any graphics card, working fan or not.
    If, on the other hand, it suddenly happens after 4 hours of a playing a graphics-intensive game then it might possibly be overheating.

I would first of all do as BoB_BoT suggests and try a different set of drivers and if you're still having problems, open the case, take the card out clean it, check for dirt/dust in the slot and reseat the card.

<edit> also, although it's unlikely to be the monitor, you could try a different one if none of the above works.

i got the card around 10 months ago but since then got a ati 9800 pro. just before i got the new card i updated the driver(me thinks). then this "DNA" slowly started to happen. i didnt mind cos i was gertting a new card, now i need the card for a machine i'm putting together.... i'll try new drivers. i tryed underclocking it still the same problem. tryed safe mode that worked. looks like drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

safe mode disables all accelerated graphics card hardware functions, which is why it would work.

It's almost definitely the card causing that. Time for the bin i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Have you tried the cards makers own drivers?Instead of detonators?I also am convinced it is driver issue and would maybe try uninstalling ,using vga mode reboot,turn off.reboot find new adaptor and reinstall.Also manufacturer site may have a fix?

i havent tryed cards makers own drivers,will download them to night.i tryed all drivers from nvidia, no joy

Advertisement