Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to rip cd that is protected for ipod?

Options
  • 09-12-2003 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought cd today but it is "protected" and i want to know how to rip cd that is protected for ipod?

Genuinly bought it and have no cd player in car but use ipod all the time

Anyone knoe of any software to get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

What CD was it?
    Haven't experienced it myself but have heard of people defeating the protection by covering the outer ring of the CD with marker.
    Plenty of info out there:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/25274.html
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52665,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Kylie (dont Ask!! and also kings of leon)

going to bring them back if cant rip onto ipod!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What are you using to rip them with?
    Try doing it from your cd-rw drive if you have one, they usually let you rip copy protected cds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

If you can't rip the cd you could try downloading a shareware copy of cooledit, soundforge or other sampler, set it to record from the cd-audio input & sample away. It's slow (1X recording) & you have to name & split up all the tracks yourself. Some internal cd drives are connected via a little spdif connecter to the soundcard instead, so you may have to record from "cd-digital" instead. It's possible your pc doesn't have the cdaudio connected to your soundcard at all, if so there are other options. <edit> duh, forgot this, the copy protection may prevent you playing the cd at all, so you can grab an external standalone cdplayer and connect it to the line-in, or spdif-in of your soundcard & sample from there</edit>

Technically the quality of the rip won't be quite as good as a normal DA extract, but desite what audiophiles may say the difference to the average pair of ears is only slight, possibly negligible if you don't know what to listen for.

This whole copyprotection thing is annoying all right, i whinged about it before too, this is the legacy left behind by a generation of people downloading every single track they can find as opposed to buying a cd once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

i used this lamefe http://lamefe.sourceforge.net/ to make mp3s' out of my own protected kings of leon cd. it ripped them off the cd as quick as a normal cd .its free and links with cd database to put titles on your tracks which is handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement