Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packard Bell Pulsar C333 - Install Problem - Help Please

Options
  • 09-12-2003 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking at this Packard Bell Pulsar Celeron 333.
    Power supply failed - replaced.
    Files and Windows corrupted - faulty RAM stick - replaced.
    Fresh install of Win98SE, went fine until final restart - "Windows Protection Error - you need to restart your computer".
    Tried most things: replaced hardwear etc, checked MS KB.
    Anyone got any ideas before I throw this thing out the window. A relly arrived at the door and I got volunteered.
    Bios: looks ok.
    64Mb Ram
    Celeron 333
    6.4Gb disk - low and normal format ok.
    Tried install from CD and HD folder.
    Starts ok in Safe Mode.

Anyone - Pleeeeese. I just want to get the thing back out the door asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Are you certain the installation CD is fine?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It sounds like a driver issue. Because it starts fine in Safe Mode (which is a minimal driver configuration), it would seem to be pointing to a driver issue.

I'd suggest trying to source a new video driver. In Safe mode, disable the your current video driver, and return it to a standard VGA driver (640*480).
    Boot into 'full' mode, and if the issue doens't reproduce, install the updated video driver.

Try that and see if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 l337

i wouldnt rul eout more broken hardware... if a psu and memory died the mobo or chip could have developed problems too (they are fairly old after all)

try this for a couple of hours... it makes a boot disk and does maths to test memory but can also show up cpu/mobo issues (assuming you know that the memory is good)
    http://www.memtest86.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have another poke at it today.
    Cheers
    E.
    ===========

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

ColmOT got it in 1. Video driver.
    Should have copped that myself, grrrrrr.
    Thanks guys.
    l337 - nice little test program.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Glad I could help Tonky...

Video drivers are one of the main causes of system instability and crashes...

Cheers,

Colm.

Advertisement