Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp reinstall

• 09-12-2003 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

i have to reinstall xp for a guy at work tommorow, so i was looking up something on the net and i came across this, its a very long read but its worth it

reinstall xp

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Been there...

54. Wait. Time passes.
    55. Wait. Time passes.
    56. Wait. Time passes. It is getting dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Haha good long read

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

i feel his pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Try upgrading from NT 4 to XP, on network. Bast*d Microsoft.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Havelock
    Try upgrading from NT 4 to XP, on network. Bast*d Microsoft.
    The NT4 Upgrade CD won't reinstall because it can't see the previous OS NT3.51 anymore....

On the subject of NT4 installs - anyone remember rollback.exe on the OEM CD ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

He installs XP so he can run a load of unix apps?
    Go figure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

ARRGH!

I agree with his "windows 1/2 life" theory- I agree with it 100%
    Funny stuff, funny 'cos it's true. But absolutly hair-tearingly true @ that.

The initial ARRGH! @ the top of this post is due to the fact that we've 25 machines in here and all of them are due a reinstall...of course we could just ghost them- if they all had the same nics, snd cards, gfx- but they don't- he's right about tweekUI too, what a sweet little app that is.

25 Machines - that's the nice thing about win98, it'll boot up and "Found new hardware" whereas 2K/XP will bluescreen 'cos it's the wrong type of drive or the partition is 5% bigger than it was last time it booted or the volume on your speakers is set too high or because it's thursday....

They aren't unix apps - they'll run on anything - but more importantly you don't have to worry about the license.

Q. How many microsoft programmers does it take to change a light bulb ?
    A. None
    1 / you have to do it yourself.
    2 / they will promise to sell you better bulbs - they last as long as the previous ones
    but you have to buy new sockets
    3 / they redefine MS-Darkness TM as a new industry standard.
    4 / and they get 25c for every light socket sold world wide.
    a reference to the illegal practice of charging for a DOS license for EVERY PC MADE even if it didn't have DOS - or the fact that virtually every Dell/Gateway/PB has been sold with a windows license

Advertisement