Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC recommendations?

• 09-12-2003 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi all,

A non tech minded mate of mine is looking to spend about 2k on a PC. He is veering towards blowing it all on a Dell 8200.
    He needs reasonable sound, DVD, a RW, TV out and a printer. XP/2k and MSOffice.

Any one got any insights or recommendations?

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

for the least amount of hassle get a dell.
    otherwise it'll come back to bite you in the ass.
    ...just make sure you get the radeon 9800pro upgrade, think its an extra €150 or so.

dave
    p.s. if this mate plays games, don't bother with the lcd screen. the responce time is not the best [about 25ms i think] and would be better off with a 19" crt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

if he wants a nice fancy system to impress his mates for €2000 you could get something nice from www.alienware.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Or aipcs
    they do ship to Ireland (or did the last time I checked anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I've recently gone for a Dell too, after comparing it to what I could get from the likes of Komplett and Elara (not to start a debate or anything - I also value the convenience).

I would recommend sourcing the LCD screen (if you are going for that) and printer separately though. You can get better quality elsewhere. I was surprised to find I could get a desktop machine from Dell without a screen but it was possible.

By the way, some LCD response times are down to 16ms now. I don't know if that is sufficient for games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I don't know if that is sufficient for games.

more than sufficient. there's a few other things to take into account when buying a TFT but this is the main one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You want to watch what companies claim about response times ... I was reading somewhere (tomshardware.com??, anandtech??) that some companies (all?) have started measuring the response time from 10% to 90% ... forget what they called the rating .... Also they measure the fastest response time (colour response time can be a lot different to black to white response time) .... do research (not at tomshardware though ;)) and find out how the lcd you intend getting copes with games ... or see it in person is best ...

[edit] heavy going but extremetech has an interesting article here ....[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

thanks guys.
    Airpc and Alienware are a bit OTT for him!
    He is just going to go with a dell for ease... I know I know.

adios
    M.

Advertisement