Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amp's guide to boards

Options
  • 09-12-2003 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

[Note: originally written on 7/02/2003 and posted to my journal, it's my all my opinion.]

Hi, my names amp, superstar of Boards.ie and general all-round great guy and I'm here to offer a guide to the wonder and magic that is Boards.ie. To help me with this task is an alternative personality DeVore made up a while ago. Say hello to Deathgiver2003.

ALL: HELLO DEATHGIVER2003!

DEATHGIVER2003: AAAAAAAAGH! SHUT UP! WAT IS GOING ON!

amp: shush Deathgiver2003, be calm

DEATHGIVER2003: DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! I AM TEH LE44T! MAK ME MODORATOR!

amp applies electrodes to Deathgiver2003 until he shuts up

amp: Now we've got the introductions over, it's time to look at boards.ie, it's history and some of it's cultural quirks and traditions.

Boards.ie's roots lie in the id game Quake. Quake was a milestone in gaming in that it was one of the first real perspective 3d games which was fun to play on the internet and meant that people from all over the world could fight each other in a tastefully brown environment. People could talk to each other on the Quake servers that were set up, but not everybody was on the same server at the same time. So a bulletin board was set up by the mighty DeVore which was merged with another popular board created by the equally mighty Cloud (later Dr. Cloud).

They were crude bulletin boards compared to the technological wonder that boards.ie is now and were hosted for a while on a spectrum 48k under Clouds bed in Galway. Lots of stuff happened after this involving DeVore scamming the domain boards.ie and moving the databases around until something similar to boards.ie as we know it now appeared. Around this time there was about a hundred users and the dates they registered were lost which is why a lot of boards people registered dates are Feb 98.

The front page was bolted on the front and ran a bulletin boards program called UBB. Then it was switched over to vBulletin and the navigation bar as we know it know was created.
    All this was made possible by the money and time of the Admins and people mentioned in the about thing.

Eventually, boards became so big it needed it's own server and to be moved to a webfarm with a big fat pipe to the interwab. This is funded in part by donations from users, the Admins own money and those banner ads at the top.

DEATHGIVER2003: So ALL TEH NERDS MADE A BORAD! SO WAT?! QUAKE SUX! CS ROOLS JOO. DIS IZ BORING! SHUT UP! MAK ME MODERATER!

amp flips the electrode switch

DEATHGIVER2003: ARRRRRRRRFffff!!!

amp: It's true that boards culture originates from the Irish online gaming scene, but boards has expanded so much that this is in the minority now, which might explain why some of the games under the Games Section are a little quiet. All bulletin boards seem to have a central board and the Quake board was this for sometime until After Hours and then the Admin board was created.

DEATHGIVER2003: WATS A CENTRAL BAORD?

amp: Well, it's hard to define exactly. If the Admin board is anything at the moment, it's the place were things about boards.ie in general are discussed. Of late it's also become the Department of Justice were squabbles are sorted and the place were new boards are requested. It's not that different from the Dáil as is sometimes chaotic and a lot of loonies hang around on the fringes shouting off about injustice.

There isn't really a central board anymore (if there ever was one) as boards is so big that people can post for years and not notice each other.

Because of this daftness Bug/Suggestions which was a bit quiet was renamed Feedback/Suggestions and Admin renamed to Admin/Support and became a restricted board for asking the mighty Admins something. You can post but only Admins and you can reply.

DEATHGIVER2003: SO IF I POST DER DEY WILL MAK ME MOD!?

amp: Well it's not likely, first of all you're nick is just daft.

DEATHGIVER2003: BUT IT'S KEWL!

amp: So what happens next year?

DEATHGIVER2003: UMMMMMMMM

amp: Yes, you see you've made a classic mistake. You picked a stupid nick. Remember, you're nick is who you are on boards.ie. It's your name. Sure if you meet boards people in real-life(tm) and get to know them they might call you by your real name but usually not. Most people I meet from boards call me amp. It's a bit strange but you get used to it. So when you pick a nick, assume that people will be calling you that for possibly a long time. In this way boards is superior to real-life(tm) because you get to name yourself rather than what your parents thought was a cool name years and years ago.

DEATHGIVER2003: WHY DO JOO KEEP SAYING REAL=LIFE(TM)?

amp: Well, while boards.ie is populated by humans (in most cases) there is differences between real-life
    (tm) and it. I usually tag on (tm) after it to indicate cynically that real-life(tm) is hard define. Technically boards.ie is part of real-life(tm) because it's just a part of peoples lives. For some people it's a large part of there lives and can become addictive.

DEATHGIVER2003: ADDICTIVE LIK CRAK COKAINE?

amp: Well for some people it is. Look at it this way. Some people have a very large amount of time on their hands and have an internet connection. And with the very large amount of boards and users on boards.ie there's new posts every couple of seconds/minutes. Even if you've read everything new, there's around a gigabyte of previous posts going back almost 5 years. It would be almost impossible (and probably brain damaging) to read them all.
    Also there's the feeling of being part of a community of making friends and sometimes, enemies. And if you're in a boring job with little human contact that can be very addictive. Some people think that if they post enough that they'll become more famous or get a moderatorship or something...

DEATHGIVER2003: MODERATARSHOIP! GIVE!

*SMACK*

DEATHGIVER2003: OUCCCHIE!

amp: This brings us onto what is a controvertial subject on boards; The In-crowd. It goes under various names. It used to be just the people with Feb 98 registered dates but there's a fair few regulars that make up the core of this so-called in-crowd.
    Lets take a look at real-life(tm) for a second. Say you went into a pub on your own or with friends. Would you sit down with another group of people, start talking to them and telling them they should move their chairs around or buy certain drinks or talk about certain subjects straight away? No. You wouldn't, because it would be rude.
    Some boards members have been posting to boards for years, they've met other members in real-life(tm), have gotten drunk with them, played against them in lans and even gone on holiday and in some rare cases even had hot sex with each other. So it's only natural that some of these veteran members respect other veteran members more than someone who's just wandered into boards.

DEATHGIVER2003: BUT DATS NOT FECKING FAIR! I'M REELLY KEWL AND L33T!

amp: Under that stupid nick and caps you probably are really kewl and l33t but on a bulletin board people only have what you post to go on. Boards.ie gets hundreds of newcomers every week and a fair amount of them tend to be muppets. So the veteran members tend to treat all newcomers as muppets until they prove otherwise.

[Continued below]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DEATHGIVER2003: DAT'S REALLY NOT FAIR! WAT HAPPENED TO INOCENT TIL PROVED GILTY?

amp: Ah, you're confusing boards.ie with real-life(tm) again.

DEATHGIVER2003: I DONT WANT TO B A MUPPET! HOW DO I NO IF I'M BEING A MUPPET?!

amp: Well, here's a few tips. For a start talking all in caps is out. Capital letters on the internet generally indicates that you're shouting. It might be easier to type but to people who've been on the internet a while it's deafening. Talking in l33tspe@k should be reserved for satire and sarcasism.

Generally speaking (and imo) what you type is the equivilant of what you wear in real-life, so if your spelling, grammar and punctuation are bad to the point that's it's hard to read, some people just won't bother and may think slightly less of you. However slagging someone for bad spelling, grammar or punctuation should be only used as a last resort. On boards.ie it's considered very lame to do this and if you do, you'd better make sure your own text is entirely error free.

Your signature also provides clues to other members about who you are. Most people hate massive signatures that take up either valuable screen real-estate or bandwidth. People will quickly get irritated if they constantly have to spend time scrolling past your big assed signature. Pictures take up a lot more bytes than text. So far this document is 8000 bytes which is a lot smaller than the bytes a tiny picture would take up.

Now, let's talk about going off-topic. Boards.ie is heirarchially structured. There's a board for almost anything people like to discus from Unreal Tournament to Gardening. So posting a thread about the latest Bruce Willis movie in Hardware/Tweaking is going to off-topic unless the movie involves Bruce overclocking a Xeon cpu with Peltier cooling in order to save the free world.

DEATHGIVER2003: Ah c'mon, surely going off-topic shouldn't be that big a deal.

amp: Well it's not that big a deal, you're right. And the occasional drift is usually ok. But imagine if everyone went off-topic on a board. It'd be chaos, there'd be loads of boards with random conversations and there'd be no point in having the structure we do. And the heirarchial structure of boards.ie is part of the reason behind it's success. People know they can go to All Things Retro and have a conversation about lego and find other people who loved/love lego. They know they can go to Soccer and not expect a thread about Counter-Strike.

DEATHGIVER2003: Some moderators can be heavy handed though, they can go to far with their banning and editing and stuff.

amp: Yeah, moderators aren't perfect. They can have mood swings like most people. But generally moderators are only entrusted with a board if they prove to not be muppet (I am a notable exception in this case ;)) and there have been a couple of cases were a moderator has had their moderatorship removed.

A moderators job is to keep order in a board. Their prime directive is to allow civilised on-topic conversation to happen. Sometimes a moderator will have to get tough with people and make a few examples to return a board to order. Mostly this is done for the good of the board in question.

We currently have a few boards (mostly in the Society Section) where highly emotive subjects are discussed. These are very hard boards to moderate as members tempers can quickly flair and fights sometimes have to be broken up. So they tend to have more moderators than most they can seem very harsh sometimes.

DEATHGIVER2003: So what do I do if I feel a moderator is being unfair towards me?

amp: Well, the first thing not to do is argue with the moderator on the thread in question. The first thing you should do is relax, take deep breaths and re-read what happened. Posting in anger is never a good idea at anytime. When you're angry or upset you're not thinking straight. It's like ringing an ex when your drunk; you'll only regret it afterwards.
    Another question you should ask yourself is "Am I taking this too seriously?" The Feedback/Suggestions board gets a lot of people posting about their outrage at the actions of moderator. Often, the person starting the thread becomes a target for veteran members to make fun of because of the relative triviality of the complaint.
    Now of course the Admins would want to make the point that all complaints would at least be listened to. And almost always they make their opinion known and will act accordinly if need be. But their time is limited. They have jobs to do, real-lives(tm) to lead so posting or pming an Admin should be seen as a last resort.
    Try pm'ing the moderator and try to understand the issue from the moderators point of view. After all the moderator will more than likely have been reading that board longer than you and therefore should have a better idea than you about what's acceptable behaviour. This isn't elitism, this isn't the "in-crowd" enforcing their will, this is the way boards is run.

DEATHGIVER2003: Sounds like a dictatorship to me.

amp: The official line on this is that yes, boards is a benevolant dictatorship. And this is the way it has to be currently. Unlike a real-life(tm) country the equipment that runs boards.ie is owned by a private entity, not the general population of boards. But unlike a real-life(tm) dictatorship the people do have a voice. If a general consensus happens on a particular issue then normally it's acted upon, if possible. If you've got a good idea about changes to boards.ie post them to Feedback/Suggestions.

DEATHGIVER2003: What about freedom of speech? And what's the deal with the censor, I mean it's easily bypassed?

amp: The laws of freedom of speech and how they apply to sites on the internet are still a grey area. On boards.ie freedom of expression is generally applied except when an opinion breaks general anti-social rules like racism, sexism etc. Again, imagine a situation in real-life(tm) where you went up to a group of people to spout off some racist diatribe. You'd probably start a fight.

Talking about how to do illegal things is also usually restricted. An example of this is in Games were the moderators stamp out talk of warezed games with ferocity. Why? Because A: Copying games is illegal and B: Boards.ie could technically be shut down by the Garda for allowing illegal activities to take place. And if comes to a choice between Harry Homeowner being able to play The Sims for free or keeping Boards.ie running it becomes a bit of a no-brainer.

The single biggest threat to boards.ie and indeed any bulletin board is a big assed lawsuit. Apart from a server which is worth relatively little, boards.ie as a company has virtually no assets. So a lawsuit could kill it.

That's also why the censor is in place. There's ways round the censor but at least boards.ie can be seen to have done everything in it's power to prevent certain language being said.

Now, alongside this there seems to be a phenomenom on boards.ie which normally involves the Set My People Free phrase being said. There seems to be a growing number of people who want to fight the power for the sake of fighting the power. These rebellious newcomers just seem to have an irrational hatred of anyone in a position of authority

DEATHGIVER2003: Ok, fair enough. Now I'm not entirely sure what the difference between a troll and a flame is?

amp: Ok, a flame is an attack on another poster eg: You're a wanker! and a troll is anything used to get a rise out of someone. Trolling is often more complex than flaming. A troller will often pretend to believe in something, often outrageous in order to make the target react and look stupid. A good troller will examine their intended target to try and find out what will anger them into a response. Example:

amp: The world is flat!
    Target: Don't be stupid it's been proven that the earth is round
    amp: Then why does the sun set and rise?
    Target: [Long tedious explaination and proof of the earths roundness]
    amp: I have a spirit level which proves the earth is flat
    Target: OMG YOU'RE SO STUPID! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! *FOAMS AT MOUTH*

People with an underdeveloped sense of humour are often the unwitting victims of trolling. An unwritten rule is that the troller will rarely admit to the troll except when the victim goes completely mental.

Good flaming almost always incorporates sarcasm:

Target: You're a wanker!
    amp: Yes I am, could you give me a hand?

In this case, admitting to the **** takes away the targets thunder and confuses them. It also incorporates a small punnage troll as I don't actually intend for the target to give me a hand (well it does depend on the target :))

DEATHGIVER2003: You don't use much smilies amp ;):):(:p ?

amp: I think the overuse of smilies implies that you can't articulate the emotions involved with what you're saying. Also it can make a troll useless, let's take a look at the world is flat troll again, this time with smilies:

amp: The world is flat! ;)
    Target: Very funny.
    amp: ummmm

Beruthiel: amp, you mong you've completely forgotten the most important thing.
    amp: Huh? How'd you get in here.
    Beruthiel: I posted below your post.
    amp: Oh I see, damn.... Right. Look, you've got to read the Charters.
    DEATHGIVER2003: Where are they?
    amp: Well they're stickied at the top of the forum usually titled CHARTER: READ THIS OR DIE or something. These are the laws of that particular forum. It's vital to read because these are additional things that could get you banned from the forum.
    DEATHGIVER2003: Banned?
    amp: Yeah. Now, I gotta go, I've got boards to mod.

*amp flexes muscles*

DEATHGIVER2003: Ok, thanks amp, I love you.
    amp: I should hope so and welcome to Boards.ie. Enjoy your time here.
    DEATHGIVER2003: HA HAHHAH! I R TEH FOOL U! I R SPEK LIKE DIS 4VR!
    amp: *sigh* trolled again :(

[Updated to reflect various things, cheers B. :)]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

amp
    may I just add to your very witty and informative thread that it is a good idea to read the charter at the top of each forum before posting a comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Thanks amp I'll sticky this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

hehe amp thats class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Interesting read Amp, btw did you get that toaster with intergrated java script

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I should say that I read this a while ago, and it's very funny stuff! And a little bit informative too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nice post.
    Alot of it would go nicely in the "About boards.ie" section, under "boards.ie" piece; esp the history part. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

hmmm interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

It made me feel warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 albundymwc

ive just joined your talking boards and after reading your suggestion about
    thinking carefully before you pick a nick name to put up on the boards because that is wh.at you will be known as from now on.Well i gave this a lot
    of thought? 5secs to be precise,and i would just like to say that I- ALBUNDY
    am not a shoe salesman.[just to put the record straight]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DPZ

Well, to be honest I'm really excited to use this site, but at the same time so frustrated because it isn't really user friendly.

WHAT THE HECK IS A BLOG?

Also, if I can't find a forum that I need but want to start one, how do I do that? For example, I'm looking for a couple of flatmates, and thought this would be the perfect place to look for them, but there is not forum with this topic, and I can't for the life of me, figure out how to start one?

So if there is anyone out there that has mastered this thing, can you send me a message and tell all!!!!

Many thanks dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You shouldn't be on the internet if you don't know what a blog is. Sorry.

This site is user friendly i believe. Use the navigation menu on the top to navigate. Don't bother using the forum system nav.
    Post in the suggestions/feedback forum to suggest a new forum.

Btw a blog is a personal online diary so to speak.

Welcome to Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Welcome to boards DPZ. The site is quite large so take some time out browsing the fora here. Check out the drop down menu on the top of the site. Boards consists of categories such as 'recreation/ rec', 'soc', 'arts' etc. For your specific query regarding flatmates try posting a thread on the accomodation forum which exists in the 'shop' category.

As for blogs, a blog is like an online journal/diary, quite popular on the internet with the cool kidz etc.

Any other questions you have try posting a new thread here on the Newbie/Faq forum and we'll help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

post in forums to a suggest a new forum no?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,984 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how do I change my sub-name from 'registered user'?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You have to subscribe to boards for this, visit the Paid Subscriptions section of your User CP.

subscriptions.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its called the tagline, you have to become a subscriber to change it, ie. pay for it and other features). See my sig for details.

I suppose my next question is 'Is the Sex and Sexuality forum *really* all that great'? :p

Are you kidding?!? Its hot*! Donate, the admins are running out of coke and hookers. :)

*may not be true.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ruu, don't lie now, it's bold!

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Are you kidding?!? Its hot*! Donate, the admins are running out of coke and hookers. :)

*may not be true.

*13 Months and 3,500 posts Later...*

Damn your fine print :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The cake is a lie.

Tee hee hee.

Advertisement