Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband monitoring query

• 09-12-2003 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi -

We just got a trial of Breeze Business Plus from IBB in my work.
    We currently have a leased line from Esat, and we're trying this out as it's like half the price.

I hooked a box up to it, and I was wondering if any Boardsters have good tips for monitoring the connection? I'm downloading linux iso's from ftp.esat.net, and making a note of the highest and lowest speeds, plus I'm piping the results of an overnight ping -t to a textfile.

Are there any utilities than can help me in my comparison? I know you can do those speedtest thingies, but I'm more interested in seeing if the connection is stable at a high speed and doesn't drop.

Cheers!

q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Probably the best measure is user experience. People will generally tell you if there's any noticable (negative) change in access speeds. Best to measure the characteristics against what you require. Ping probably isn't the best as it uses the connectionless UDP protocol. Most traffic will probably be going over connection-oriented protocols and I don't really know how you can test that (aside from your FTP downloading). You might also want to try uploading if that's important to you (especially if you host your own web site).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try using "Net Monitor"
    You can see wot the usage is, and set limits to wot certain proggie's use (eg; p2p software).

http://itcan.programmer.nl/ does a free version of one.

More info will be added here, once I find out wot comany makes the one I use at home, as a few guys here (CarlowIT) use it in their (techie) house.

Advertisement