Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom harrassment

Options
  • 09-12-2003 12:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

Is anyone else being subjected to ridiculous strong-arm tactics from Eircom in an effort to get you to change back to them?

I moved to UTVip about a year ago and with each passing month find Eircom getting more and more aggressive. Not only have the phone calls become more regular but they even landed a poor young sales guy out to my door a few weeks back. As I live in 'the sticks' I can assure you that I've never, ever been visited in person by an Eircom rep before, so I found it almost a little intimidating that they're now resorting to this sort of tactic.

But this morning topped it all off when I got a letter in the post which started like this -

"Dear Customer,
    We recently contacted you regarding your decision to move to another phone company and were delighted to hear that you are interested in returning to Eircom.

You will find enclosed a customer authorisation form to indicate exactly which calls you wish to transfer back to Eircom......"

Needless to say I never expressed any interest in returning to Eircom so this strikes me as a new and dispicable low. If they'd invested half the time, expense and effort in keeping me as they have in trying to get me back, maybe I'd never have left them in the first place.

If anyone from Eircom is reading, I've one message for you,...... STOP HARRASSING ME!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Contact eircom (formally) about this and request they stop pestering you. If they dont stop contact ComReg [?] and complain about it.

They will keep doing it now unless you ask them to stop, get them to stop or give in and change back. dont go near the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

They've been at this for almost a year and you'll find numerous threads on the forum with exactly the same story (recent one here) . In summary, Eircom can do just about anything they want and Comreg frankly don't give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭seedot

I think they've decided that this is the solution to their problems. My phone line failed a dsl test. I refused to get another line, since Eircom would not guarantee me service if I paid for it, or a refund if it didn't work (waiting on IBB instead).

Yet we get calls about once a week asking have we considered broadband - even when you outline the position re. the line, and they verify, they continue to regale you with the benefits of broadband - a service they cannot supply.

Needless to say, the poor blameless call centre people are getting a lot of abuse now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've had two of these, even though I expressly requested that they refrain from sending me marketing material, and like the thread starter, didn't contact Eircom at all. Copies should be forwarded to both Comreg and the Data Protection Commissioner. (Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend the latter unless you've asked to be removed from Eircom's marketing lists, but this is a blatant fraudulent use of their databases and should be reported as such.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Adam is a KDE USER!! :D :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think everyone should tell them the same thing.

I won't even consider returning to eircom unless they reduce their prices significantly and increase thier quality of service to a level that is acceptable for all the services they are offering.

then I might consider it. until that time piss off and stop hassling me or I'll send the boys round to do you ugly!

the best thing i ever heard was a guy who was called by BT for some sort of survey and just went bonkers at the guy on the phone. it's HERE btw if you're interested. if you've not heard it beofre it's well worth a listen, and if you have it's probably still funny.

also the whole www.wibble.co.uk site seems to be back after an extended absense. they have some funny stuff there anyway for those interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Adam,

I forwarded three of these letters to Comreg. After much chasing I received a letter of apology from Eircom informing me I had been removed from their mailing list and that it was all a terrible mistake. I wasn't happy with this, but Comreg's attitude was that they had taken it as far as they could(be arsed) and that I should be happy with the outcome. It seems that Eircom have made a lot of terrible mistakes in this campaign and that Comreg would rather be doing something else with their time.

Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

All my phone calls go through Euphony instead of Eircom. On the Euphony bill, they list an Eircom phone number that you can phone to tell them to take you off their "people to hassle" list. I'll post the number tomorrow!

I don't believe this was an error at all. I accept that Hanlon's Razor is probably true more often than not, but I'll lay down a hundred euros that some clever dick in Eircom thought this was a great idea. I just feel sorry for the poor sods that'll be taken in by it because they don't know any better, because Comreg are too chicken to stand up to Eircom. We should save up for a chicken suit for the new commissioner.

adam

This is a regular occurence on Boards.ie too.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I don't believe this was an error at all. I accept that Hanlon's Razor is probably true more often than not, but I'll lay down a hundred euros that some clever dick in Eircom thought this was a great idea.
    adam

That's exactly my point Adam. The reason this new low disgusts me so much is because they're LYING, no two ways about it. Let me repeat that - eircom are liers. Ok, no great revelation there but I have to let off steam :p

And this isn't ordinary lying, not just some generic lie about their wonderful services. Not, but a very personal lie where they're telling me I said something I did not.

You know, the funny thing is, for a brief moment about two months ago, when I hadn't been hassled by the liers for a few weeks, I actually considered going back to them because I thought it might make financial sense. But after this disgusting episode I'm making a commitment that I will never, under any circumstances be going back to them now. Eircom you have seen the last of me thanks to a blatant display of dishonesty!

It's rotten to the the core and I will be following up with Comreg and whoever else. Thanks to everyone for providing the information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

I got an email from them this morning reminding me that I could view my bill online, this despite talking directly to the data protection officer about this very issue in the past when I wasn't able to get off their lists in any other way.

I've added webmaster@eircom.net - which is blackholed by the way - to the blocklist on my server so they can't bother my customers in future either. Bunch of ignorant spamming **** that they are.

adam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

All this is very similar to the US Companies that send renewal forms to people who's Domain Names are about to expire telling them to renew even though they are not with the company in question. Dirty tactics you'd expect from a faceless company, not from a National Telco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by LFCFan
    All this is very similar to the US Companies that send renewal forms to people who's Domain Names are about to expire telling them to renew even though they are not with the company in question. Dirty tactics you'd expect from a faceless company, not from a National Telco.

Eircom is NOT a National Telco. It's a privately held company that happens to have 100% ownership and monopoly control of a vital infrastructure.

We have to stamp out the "national telco" mindset, it's exactly what Tonys Cronies want us to think.

(Which reminds me, tell every candidate that comes to your door for the Local Elections next year that you won't even give them your last preference unless they sign a pledge to dump Mary O'Rourke from the Senate).

Advertisement