Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amd athlon 700...for quake of course

• 24-12-1999 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Any1 know where I can pick up one of these, cheap preferably. And I also need a new mobo, if any1 can recommend one to me. Thanx
    This is all for quake of course.
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

WWW.Overclockers.Co.Uk

500@750 gauranteed - 250 sterling.

You have to buy the kit of :
    CPU 500@750
    MBD Asus k7m
    PSU 300w approved
    Heatsink VEK32 (Bloody Huge...)

All comes to about 435 Stlg including Vat. So it's about 530 IEP.
    A lot cheaper than a std. 750 CPU alone

They're fast, and reliable (CPU and company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

Will I need a new case creed? I have a j0 s0ap g6-300 gateway 2000 Tower Case. Tell me more I'm WELL interested....
    Dave

Nope, The case is ATX form factor, everything should fit fine.

Is it the full or mid-tower?

I have one of their fulls (nearly 2.5 feet high) and I had to use the reset switch cable to reach the power-on block(The connector block is at the very bottom of the k7m).
    So, it's still okay, just more awkward.

There are 2 issues to watch for though:
    1. System won't boot with some Keyboards (Mine are logitech - had this problem). A quick reset or popping the keyboard out, powering on, popping it back in when you've got power works - and from then it's perfect (resets are okay too, just that first cold-boot). This has been fixed with BIOS 1.007 and above, you should check out WWW.SLOTA.COM for the latest links.

2. Some Generic Ram will give errors or not have their full capacity recognised. One of my sticks works fine, one shows as 32/128. If you're thinking of upgrading your RAM you might want to buy it from them aswell (Not the cheapest around, but not the dearest either).

These are issues with the K7m in general. It's the best board at the mo. , but still has teething problems.
    On the other hand it has UDMA66, AMR slot (Sad...), and 4USB (Cool). And is the most stable setup I've ever used.

Sorry, didn't want to turn this into a lecture. Just want to save you the same hassle I had, and let you know what to expect.

Cheers,

Me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Thats the mobo I have and it works fine. The only prob I found is bios updates as Asus don't seem to support it on their site. But then I don't really need them at the mo.

The built in sound card is Yamaha A3D or something but I find it a bit naff but handy for an extra joystick port.

Great info there Creed. Cheers!

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

Ya just gotta love Asus' "What board?...Who are you?...We just make Chickens "etc.

They do have a K7m section but there are NO obvious links to it on their own damn site. Have a look at SLOTA.COM , last week they gave the link, or do a search on ASUS' site (This will bring up some info).

Can't wait to get home and give it a go again (Only had it for a week before I left). Then try this Quake3 thingy people seem to be talking about.........

• Advertisement
Advertisement