Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptops

• 09-12-2003 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

just wondering where the best place is to get myself a reasonable laptop and how easy it is to upgrade yourself compared to a tower...

regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Lots of old threads on this... should really be a sticky :D

Depends on what you need it for. Dell might be ok if its just general office use. As long as it has a decent warranty on it. Upgrading is limited usually. Pcworld usally have reasonbly priced laptops as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

do you really need a laptop - just remember less power, less memory, more moola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Why not consider the new Apple iBook G4 !

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Just got myself the following from harvey norman (at dandalk retail paahk :D )

2.4 Intel Celeron
    256Mb DDR 333Mhz
    40GB HDD
    64 Mb Intel graphics
    Modem, LAN
    15" screen
    DVD ROM combo 24 speed write CDRW
    2 USB2 slots
    3 USB1.1 slots
    1 Firewire

Plus "Free"
    Carry Bag
    32Mb pen drive
    Surge protector

€1099 and you don't have to pay 'til Jan 2005 or you could do it over 10 months interest free.

I personally think it's an excellent deal.

Oh, and it's a Fujitsu/Siemens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Dell Inspiron 5150. Point!

i made a long reply on someone's post about the best 4 laptops that are not avaialble and their pros and cons

don't remember the thread name though, if anyone remembers, help this man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by newstalk
    and how easy it is to upgrade yourself compared to a tower...
    As a rule it's a lot more difficult. Some (by no means all) laptops will allow you to upgrade the graphics card at a later date (my inspiron 7500 doesn't unfortunately), upgrading memory or a hard drive will probably be no problem (I've done both on mine). Adding wifi etc will be very doable. Apart from that, well you'd be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

look here

Advertisement