Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferdinand Case gets a boost

• 09-12-2003 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

http://www.sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=1348682003
    RIO Ferdinand is to argue that he was denied an opportunity to take a drugs test when he launches his defence against an FA misconduct charge in Bolton next week

It has emerged that Ferdinand contacted Manchester United officials 90 minutes after he was due to take the test on 23 September following a series of frantic calls from the club’s Carrington training ground when it became apparent the England man had failed to turn up as planned.

Doping controllers were still at Carrington at that time, but it is reported they told Ferdinand he could not return to take the test.

It looks like ferdinand was willing to take the test while the testers were there but they wouldn't allow him. If this was proven it could get him off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tupelo

How much of an influence do you think he has on the Utd back four?

How much would he have been missed if he got a ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Now all they need is the phone records to prove that and they are sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

but why did he say his phone was turned off when it wasnt then!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think the testers were right not to allow Rio back to do the test. There are reasons why the players give the test directly after the game - leaving and coming back just makes a farce and the testers would be unable to control the environment - i.e. Rio could have taken/done anything while he was away.

Hyzepher

He said that he gets 250-300 messages a day so he switches off his phone and checks then in batches.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Tupelo
    He said that he gets 250-300 messages a day so he switches off his phone and checks then in batches.

yea ok we know that but his phone wasnt off, it was on (vodafone records states this) so why did he lie about it??

tis a very simple question

like!!

Tis surely and i'm sure that Utd have hired the Jonny Cocerine equivalent to get his case together. Should be fun to see what they say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There are reasons why the players give the test directly after the game

What game are you talking about, this incident happenst at training?

Also apparently the Doctor he rang was the United Doctor who was with the Testers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

How much of an influence do you think he has on the Utd back four?

How much would he have been missed if he got a ban?
    he would be missed a lot united dont have too many back-ups in his position

Originally posted by The Muppet
    What game are you talking about, this incident happenst at training?

Also apparently the Doctor he rang was the United Doctor who was with the Testers.

Can you post a link to where you found that info please muppet because what I have read says that he called a doctor at a private clinic. We shall see I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

epo test results could be changed in twenty minutes by a very simple process. The whole point of a surprise test is the surprise. In cycling during the 80's they put condoms with some1 else's urine in their asses to provide false samples. Even if he returned a full 1 1/2 after the test was due it was more than enuff time to change the results, which is equivalent to avoiding the test charge he is facing anyway. Particularly as he is reported to have contacted his doctor in the interim period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by jank
    like!!
    Culchy. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Culchy. ;)

I think Jank is trying to imply the rest of us are culchies i.e. thick !!

I don't think Rio will ever be innocent in the eyes of some people even if found so !

I guess we will look forward to another echo of this for years to come from all the ABU's here !

:rolleyes:

Tinky

In cycling during the 80's they put condoms with some1 else's urine in their asses to provide false samples.

I thougt the way he runs is a bit funny, you could have something there.

;)
    epo test results could be changed in twenty minutes by a very simple process.

If this is the case surely players selected for test should not be let out of the testers sight form the moment they arrive on site. That did not happen in this case so the testers were negligent and must share some reponsibility for this incident.

Particularly as he is reported to have contacted his doctor in the interim period.

Why? from wat i read recently the Doctor he contacted was the United Doctor who was with the Testers to arrange to go back and give the test but even though the testers were still there they refused to carry out the test.

His defence are saying that the crucial fact is that he called 25 minutes before the testers left and that at the time he was in the middle of Machester and could have made it back in time to take the test within the guidelines, but the testers refused. So if he could have made the test within the guidelines, then they can't take action and it comes down to the process the FA have in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

His defence are saying that the crucial fact is that he called 25 minutes before the testers left and that at the time he was in the middle of Machester and could have made it back in time to take the test within the guidelines, but the testers refused. So if he could have made the test within the guidelines, then they can't take action and it comes down to the process the FA have in place.

I think the point is that once he failed to turn up for the test at the designated time and left the club, he is deemed to have failed meeting the guidelines you mention.

Na I don't think so, I think it's resting on Rio making a valid test, if he had of given a sample within that 25 minute period, it would have been a valid test and we would never have heard anything about it. But because the testers said no, he was unable to give a valid test.

Why? from wat i read recently the Doctor he contacted was the United Doctor who was with the Testers to arrange to go back and give the test but even though the testers were still there they refused to carry out the test.

Again, could you show me a link to that please muppet or give me an idea where to look. I have been reading most everything that has been released on this and never read that the doctor he called was a manchester United doctor, I read (and I can link if required I'd imagine) that he rang his doctor at a private clinic, more than once. Even though his phone was off.....

Can anybody else see something funny here, he said he wasn't contactable, then it's proven that he was and that he was receiving and making calls and then that he called a doctor. If he was innocent of all charges why would he go around lying about it. While some people say that ABU's will never let it lie, I think that it is a shame that there are so many blinkered Man Utd fans who cannot see that their £30m golden has some questions to answer.

I'm a Utd supporter and I agree with you, he has serious questions to answer and one of them is how come his phone can be on and off at the same time? But that does not take away from my previous point, if he could have given a valid sample within the allowed time then he should have been allowed to. If he wasn't then it's not his fault, it's the testers, and it'll be upto the FA to put proper processes in place to ensure that this does not happen again.

I've tried to find something to support muppets doctor claim but as far as I can see he was in contact with a private doctor that was treating him for a kidney infection and then 90 minutes later rang the utd doctor. Here is the link to that one:

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/football/story/0,1870,215527,00.html

Again, could you show me a link to that please muppet or give me an idea where to look.

I read it in one of the Sunday Papers, possibly either the Sunday World or the People I will look when i get home and give a more precise reply.
    I think that it is a shame that there are so many blinkered Man Utd fans who cannot see that their £30m golden has some questions to answer.

Dont get me wrong T4TF On The whole i agree with you too that there is something strange but with all the different information being leaked and it dragging on for months now it is difficult to see exactly the whole story and for that reason i would not condemn THE PLAYER. I Just Think if it was a Black and white case it would have been sorted by now. But with reports of "Abnormalaties of in the Procedures the testers followed" (Daily Mirror dec 9th) etc It is difficult to see exactly what happened and I would never condemn anyone without haaring both sides of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    While some people say that ABU's will never let it lie, I think that it is a shame that there are so many blinkered Man Utd fans who cannot see that their £30m golden has some questions to answer.
    Of course he does, but thats not saying that the FA and the guys who were there for the test haven't got questions to answer. Thats why it is called a hearing isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by tinky

I guess we will look forward to another echo of this for years to come from all the ABU's here !

:rolleyes:

Tinky

Get over yourself.

The fact that the FA has some egg on it's face is not in question. Everyone knows that they could have handled things better. The problem as I see it is that if Rio was as innocent as he seems, why would he lie and then compund those lies with more lies. The thing is that the FA are not on trial here it is Rio and he did skip away from the testers one way or another. Other prominent sportsmen have described the procedure whereby your name is picked from a hat and the tester sticks with you until you give a sample, now that does not seem to have happened here but Rio was informed and if he did forget, why did he have conversations with his doctor and X other people on his (turned off) mobile phone, not answer calls from the club or take messages from them (turned off phone was proven to have been on since) and then call in to the club quite a while later and say Ohh I forgot. I would like to see the paper that said that he called in to the club and asked to have the test taken again as this sounds like a handy story for United, especially considering it took so long to come to light.

BTW did he make the call to the club from his mobile phone ?

Get over yourself.

Did you come all this way to say that or were you invited ?

I was commenting on the fact that every time a drug scandle is reported from now on there will be references to this from all the ABU's !

Maybe they should introduce this facet of the game to CM4 :D

Get off yourself !

Tinky

I was commenting on the fact that every time a drug scandle is reported from now on there will be references to this from all the ABU's !

Tinky

lol yea the so called abu's have no lives and there sole goal in life is to knock united at any chance given lol:D

im with Makaveli on this one.. really get over yourself!

its handy for united to have dragged it out for so long with january sales around the corner and wes brown playing a reserves match today there seems to be cover if rio is banned for any length of time.

its funny when you think that fergie was ragging that arsenal did a "deal" with the fa!
    maybe he should look at himself with regards done "deals"
    then again his deal with regards the Rock of Gibraltar wasnt the best was it now fergie!:D :D

lol yea the so called abu's have no lives and there sole goal in life is to knock united at any chance given lol

Never thought I'd say this but you're right !! :D;)

Tinky

Never thought I'd say this but you're right !! :D;)

Tinky

there ya go you just proved my point
    cheers tinky:p

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    BTW did he make the call to the club from his mobile phone ?
    Only Rio knows that for sure.

Would imagine that Vodafone or whichever service provider knows about that too. ;)

• Advertisement

Now now, assumptions... :D

I said earlier i would give an exact source for the story. Sorry herself (being of the tidy Type) informs me that the weekend papers were binned. The story was in one of the Sunday papers as far as I can remember.

The gist of the story was that after Rio left The Training ground he rang United doctor who was with the testers to see if he could return to take the test but his request was refused. This is not the article i am referring to but the story is basically the same.

I work in the media (obviously not print) so I would always be careful about misquoting people as i know what the ramifications can be. I,'m sure someone else here must have read the story and can verify that it actually appeared.

This series of event is at odds with what was published earlier about this incident and i,m not sayin I believe it but it does show that there are lots of different rumours about and until the truth is published I would not be in a hurry to condemn anyone.:

imo this has taken so bloodly long that no body knows what the hell is happening about it

remember this happened in septmeber and we are now 2 weeks awat from xmas ffs

there ya go you just proved my point
    cheers tinky

Whatever dings yer dong but just in case it escaped your attention you lost that one !!!!!

Tinky

yea whatever if saying that to yourself makes you happy minky;)

Sorry I didn't see you hiding behind the Mod there !!!

It's Tinky by the way, try to keep up will you.
    The echoes are getting worse here . . . whats that I hear? . . film . . arnie . . trafford . . kingsly !!!!!

Tinky:D :D

• Advertisement

minky...tinky...minky
    sure their both the same sure like muppet and tuppet :)

have i just opened an other can of worms??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

jank your only just back after a ban if I suspect your trying to troll or cause trouble I will come down on you like a ton of bricks!!!

Gandalf.

minky...tinky...minky sure their both the same sure like muppet and tuppet

Not this crap again. Anyone with a functioning brain cell must realise by now that if it were true we would "both" have been banned. It would have been helpful if the original commment had been retracted but for some reason that didn't happen up to now but in the interest ot harmony here it should happen now.

For the last time I only post as The Muppet.

Jank when are you going to fix it?

minky...tinky...minky
    sure their both the same sure like muppet and tuppet

This really is becoming tiresome, but I suppose when you've no stones left to throw - you throw muck !:rolleyes:

Get a life Jank and do try to keep up.

Of course this was not helped my the Mod not retracting the accusation in the first place !

TINKY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

when is his hearing?

• Advertisement

december 18th me thinks
    probably 2004 the way the fa do things
    Anyone with a functioning barin cell
    whats a barin cell lol

sorry gandalf just trying to add some humor to this thread
    no trouble intended at all

"Barin Cell"

Definition

Part of a nothsiders genetic make-up

sorry gandalf just trying to add some humor to this thread

Must agree with Tinky, its getting tiresome at this stage about time the record was put right by those that have access to the relevant information.

about time the record was put right by those that have access to the relevant information.

...mmmm I guess not !

Part of a nothsiders genetic make-up

Pray tell oh superior Southsider (??), what is a "nothsider" ???

Tinky

A nothsider is someone from the northside of Dublin who was still drunk yesterday morning posting that response. He is also someone who thought it was hilarious at the time but, looking back on it now, doesn't find it quite so funny.

Hope that helps clear it up for you Tinky?

A nothsider is someone from the north side of Dublin who was still drunk yesterday morning posting that response

That must be it.:D

Whats Your Excuse?

I have none, I stand in front of you, head in hands, wondering where it all went wrong. Oh the pain of it all.

I have none, I stand in front of you, head in hands, wondering where it all went wrong.QUOTE]

Thought so much:D

He is also someone who thought it was hilarious at the time but, looking back on it now, doesn't find it quite so funny.

Actually . . no . . It's still funny !!! Wanna swig o' me cider there buuuud ?? :D:D

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I work in the media (obviously not print)

man, i KNEW it...... You're Andy Grey, arent you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement