Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Squads!

Options
  • 09-12-2003 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

IIRC some were quite sceptical that there were going to be death squads in Iraq. Seems that's exactly what they are setting up now. And they are getting the winning strategy from that bastion of democracy in the Middle East...
    Anyway...here ya go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah yes. Project Phoenix, part 2, here we come...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

On a pure first reaction (i.e. I havent looked for any other sources yet), I would be somewhat skeptical about the article. It reads a bit odd with so many seperate unnamed sources, and then a few vague quotes - which are only partially applicable - from specific people.

I wouldn't rule it all out, mind, but I'd be skeptical about how much of it is truth and how much is misinformation or speculation.

But I'm like that, I guess....and I did say it is purely an initial opinion.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Second source (slightly different edition of same article): http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1102940,00.html or is that too liberal? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Question, when the next group of arabs fly a plne into a building in the US, will anyone care. Not likely especially if these stories unfold ot be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

And we're supposed to care about Islamofascists being disposed of why exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

And we're supposed to care about Islamofascists being disposed of why exactly?
    It says:
    Israeli advisers are helping train US special forces in aggressive counter-insurgency operations in Iraq, including the use of assassination squads against guerrilla leaders, US intelligence and military sources said yesterday.

They sound like national patriots to me ....defending their country against a foreign invader for Zionists and oil.

psst...who slated me for using the "death squads are go" headline not too long ago.

Am I the only one that thinks that using the word "Islamofascist" points to a weakness in understanding of both Islam and Fascism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by dathi1
    They sound like national patriots to me ....defending their country against a foreign invader for Zionists and oil.
    Yes, defending their country by targetting Red Cross doctors and UN diplomats. What heroes.

Originally posted by Meh
    Yes, defending their country by targetting Red Cross doctors and UN diplomats. What heroes.
    Hang on the United States admitted "inadvertantly" **keeping** the Red Cross on it's target list in Afghanistan. The United States claims they are the good guys. Sauce for the goose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Victor
    Hang on the United States admitted "inadvertantly" **keeping** the Red Cross on it's target list in Afghanistan. The United States claims they are the good guys. Sauce for the goose....
    Accidentally killing civilians because of intelligence failures is not quite the same thing as deliberately setting out to murder them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Sparks
    Am I the only one that thinks that using the word "Islamofascist" points to a weakness in understanding of both Islam and Fascism?

Oh yes.

Its nice to see that the "Allies" are lowering themselves to the standards of the terrorists themselves. Again. What more can I say? It's beyond me.
    ;)

Originally posted by Meh
    Accidentally killing civilians because of intelligence failures is not quite the same thing as deliberately setting out to murder them.
    And where would deliberately ordering and carrying out the bombing of known and marked civilian hospitals and the deliberate shooting of marked civilian ambulances come in under that statement Meh?

Originally posted by Meh
    Accident is not appropriate.

1. Americans put Red Cross warehouses on target list.
    2. Americans bomb Red Cross warehouses.
    3. Red Cross says "WTF? Why are you bombing our warehouses?"
    4. American politicians tell military "WTF? Why are you bombing Red Cross warehouses?"
    5. Americans remove Red Cross warehouses from target list.
    6. Americans bomb Red Cross warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Curious....

Why would the American milatary set out to bomb the Red cross? Youre implying theyre doing it deliberately....why do you think they are doing it deliberately?

I can see why the terrorists might bomb the red cross, but why would the US want the situation made crazier by bombing one of the organisations that is helping to rebuild Iraq? What does it gain them? Good PR?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sand
    Curious....

Why would the American milatary set out to bomb the Red cross? Youre implying theyre doing it deliberately....why do you think they are doing it deliberately?

Wasn't there some statement about the bombing of RC in Afghanistan that it was because they were - in fact - nothing but excuses for Red Cross centres which were, in reality, being used by the Taliban for <insert nefarious purpose here>?????

Maybe thats the lack of caffeine speaking....maybe I should do more research....

jc

Originally posted by Sand
    It was in Afghanisatn, not Iraq (that I know of).

From me to military mailing list October 2001 (orignal posting not saved, paraphrased)
    WTF? Why have the US air force bombed the Red Cross **again** Is this deliberate?accidental? FUBARed?
    From Byron to me October 26, 2001
    Sent : Friday, October 26, 2001 2:53 PM
    To : "Victor" <xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>
    Subject : HULL post

I'm rejecting your post. First, I'd like to keep the flame level down, and
    this post would certainly raise the temperature. Second, as an American, I
    find your post offensive. I will not state that the strikes did not hit a
    building that is claimed to be a Red Cross structure. I will state that the
    Taliban has decided to place military targets close to civilian facilities.
    And contrary to what many in the press believe, our weapons are not
    infallible. But our aviators go to extraordinary lengths to avoid and
    prevent any accidents, more than any other nation at war has ever attempted
    to do. In doing so, they even place their own lives in jeopardy. It would
    be much easier to drop tons of explosives from high altitude from big
    bombers, using unguided bombs. Any Vietnamese veteran of the war could tell
    you how destructive and terrifying a B-52 Arc Light strike was. But this is
    not what is is happening in close quarters. For you to even suggest that
    this may be some sort of political act is an insult to our fighting men and
    women. A mistake, yes. A mechanical breakdown in the guidance package, yes.
    But a direct target, never.
    From me to Byron Oct 30 2001
    Hi,

It would appear the Red Cross buildings were the assigned targets, but it wasn't intended to attack the Red Cross. This is why I tried to be cautious on the original e-mail.

Not disrespect was meant.

I take your point on the flames.

Maybe neither of us was right - or wrong :)

Victor

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2001/1027/breaking12.htm

US admits bombing Red Cross warehouses
    Last updated: 27-10-01, 08:45

US planes have inadvertently dropped bombs on Red Cross warehouses in Kabul and a residential area near them, the US Defence Department has said.

For the second time since the US-led bombing of Afghanistan began on October 7th, warplanes struck warehouses used by the International Committee of the Red Cross in Kabul.

The Geneva-based relief agency said the roofs of the buildings were clearly marked with the red cross emblem and the attacks violated international humanitarian law.

Two US Navy F/A-18C Hornet jets each dropped one 2,000-pound bomb on ICRC warehouses on Thursday evening, the statement by US Central Command said.

At about the same time, a 500-pound bomb intended for the warehouses "inadvertently" hit a residential area about 700 feet south of the warehouses, apparently because the bomb's guidance system malfunctioned, Central Command said.

Early yesterday two B-52 bombers also dropped three 2,000-pound bombs on the same warehouse complex, the statement said.

"The US sincerely regrets this inadvertent strike on the ICRC warehouses and the residential area," the statement said.

"Although details are still being investigated, preliminary indications are that the warehouses were struck due to a human error in the targeting process," Central Command said.

Two of the ICRC warehouses were hit on October 16th by US bombs because the Taliban had used them previously for storage of military equipment and military vehicles had been seen in the vicinity, the statement said.

Reuters
    The POWAH of "save e-mail"! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

In what way?

And just as a stopgap measure while we're waiting for Project Phoenix Part Two to be set up, the marines are filling in :

RealVideo clip

(Warning, not for the squeamish).

BTW, from the Geneva Convention:
    Persons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placed hors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.

To this end the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:

(a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;

<snip>

(d) the passing of sentences and the carrying out of executions without previous judgment pronounced by a regularly constituted court, affording all the judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples.

(2) The wounded and sick shall be collected and cared for.
    So this is, in effect, videotape of a defined war crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

And just as a stopgap measure while we're waiting for Project Phoenix Part Two to be set up, the marines are filling in :

RealVideo clip

(Warning, not for the squeamish).

BTW, from the Geneva Convention:

So this is, in effect, videotape of a defined war crime.

While the attitude of the soldier commenting afterward is sickening, to be fair...it didn't show why they were firing at the Iraqi. Was he previously shooting at the Americans? Was he still armed?
    I'm not sure that it's necessarily a war crime as I believe the Geneva Convention's intention is after said combatants have been secured.
    From the looks of it though...he didn't seem to pose a threat.

Originally posted by sovtek
    While the attitude of the soldier commenting afterward is sickening, to be fair...it didn't show why they were firing at the Iraqi. Was he previously shooting at the Americans? Was he still armed?
    It doesn't matter why he was initially shot - it's the "make sure he's dead" shots that were the war crime.
    I'm not sure that it's necessarily a war crime as I believe the Geneva Convention's intention is after said combatants have been secured.
    Nope. That's neither the intent nor the words used in the convention. Which is quoted above. Once you're injured so badly as to be out of the fight, that's it. Going beyond that in the heat of battle might be understandable as the soldier doing the shooting may not realise he's put the enemy out of commission - but the video clearly shows the man on the ground is not firing back, the US troops are not under fire, and are under no threat - further, those last shots are at a considerable range meaning they had to be carefully aimed - not shots made during a life-or-death struggle.
    Those troops just didn't want to take the guy prisoner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

It doesn't matter why he was initially shot - it's the "make sure he's dead" shots that were the war crime.

Nope. That's neither the intent nor the words used in the convention. Which is quoted above. Once you're injured so badly as to be out of the fight, that's it. Going beyond that in the heat of battle might be understandable as the soldier doing the shooting may not realise he's put the enemy out of commission - but the video clearly shows the man on the ground is not firing back, the US troops are not under fire, and are under no threat - further, those last shots are at a considerable range meaning they had to be carefully aimed - not shots made during a life-or-death struggle.
    Those troops just didn't want to take the guy prisoner.

Fair enough, after watching it again I agree.
    My point about the Geneva Convention was that he could have had a weapon and still be a threat. From the angle it wasn't clear if he did or not. Therefore could he still pose a threat? It doesn't look like it and from watching it again I take your point that they weren't under fire.
    Believe me I'm not trying to argue that US soldiers haven't committed war crimes.
    We know that's not the case.

Originally posted by sovtek
    Therefore could he still pose a threat?
    It's a possibility - but not a stong one. And if it means that the soldier has to risk his life taking him prisoner, the only answer is that that's a soldier's job. It's not accounting, after all. Giving troops the power to execute a prisoner out of hand if they feel threatened would be a licence for genocide.

Advertisement