Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hmmm Q3 bots are weird.

Options
  • 28-12-1999 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I've been playing q3 offline (damned IFSC pings) and I've noticed a few things...

1. I'm playing on Hardcore because I wanted to see the levels pretty quickly, and I'm ****e so I guess I am a wuss. smile.gif

2. The lower levels seemed tougher to win then the upper tiers (I guess that might just be me getting more used to the game).

3. If I got my ass handed to me on a level I would replay it again immediately after and invariably win by a decent amount. Now much as I'd like to think I am god's gift to Q3 I dont buy it, do the bots get dumber if they beat you once?

4. I pretty much walked through tier 5 and 6 which was disappointing, as I had thought it would get really challenging there... the point being that I was comfortably owning the bots until I get to Xaero, who just seems totally loony accurate.
    Anyone get the feeling that he's just silly good? I hate bots that just have lethal (inhuman) aim in order to make them a challenge. I had been thinking of going up to Nightmare (oooh brave me!) but now I think I might drop to I Can Win just to get to see the end cinematic because this level interests me not.

Seems annoying to have played it this far against one level of bot only to have to face a ridiculously accurate bot to finish it...

(btw I HATE all those space bouncy levels, but the indoor ones rock).

DeV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Dev, if you're not afraid to be labelled a sissy cheater, type 'seta botthinktime 100' in the console to reduce Xaero's speed to something resembling a human - it's initially set at 250. There could be an underscore or two in 'botthinktime' cos I cant remember the exact command.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Don't really see that behaviour meself, when I get my ass kicked I tend to concentrate more but if if win I get <ocky.

Mind you my Q3 is on hold until I finish HL - Opposing forces, which quite frankly rocks btw.

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 28-12-1999).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Xaero is indeed a little git but not unbeatable.

Trick is to not let him get the rail gun and if he does, wait till he jumps to bfg platform and squish him.

If he has a railgun and you have a RL, wait behind a pillar untill he is over your side of the map and use splash damage to kill him.

The question is why do you want to go to these syupid lengths to beat a bot which doesn't play even remotely like ANY human.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

1) i think the moral of the story is, in a ffa, be it online or against bots, theres a certain degree of luck involved.

2) my experience from playing the bots on hardcore, the demos levels i knew, i easily won first time round, some of the others took a bit of time until i got to know where everything is. having said that, the very first time i played 1 of the levels i just ran away with it (see my first point)

3) I'm at Xaero as well, the level completely sucks, so after 2 attempts i gave up smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Devsers, remember that 1 on 1?? Grit your teeth man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Anyone noticed the way the bots take time during a frantic fire-fight to type a message!!!
    I've seen bots stop in the middle of a fight involving 5 bots and type a message, they always die when they do this.....it's an easy kill for whoever sees them 1st.

Mills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

aye they'll be releasing a patch for that..
    was inone of carmacks dodgy plans smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

You can turn that off so that they can talk but they do it instantly.

cant recall the command, prolly on the Upset Chaps page somewhere... very good guides on it.

www.upsetchaps.com
    in the public library.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Found it.

Its bot_fastchat, as detailed below.... (from the Upset Chaps page, very cool clan page)

cl_timeNudge Warning: If you are playing online set this value to 0.
    Enables you to play with a fake ping, append your desired ping to the command. Example: cl_timeNudge "85"

bot_rocketjump
    Enables weapons jumping such as the rocket jump. 0 to disable, 1 to enable. Note: Only bots that have the characteristic for 'weapon jumps' will rocket jump.

bot_usehook In CTF mode enables or disables use the ability of the bots to use grapple. 0 to disable, 1 to enable.

bot_nochat Enables or disables the bots ability to talk. 0 to disable, 1 to enable.

bot_fastchat When chatting the bots normally pause to taunt or chat, this setting controls the time spent 'chatting' - 0 to disable, 1 to enable.

bot_thinktime The time cycle for each bot thought, defaults to 100.

bot_enable Enables or disables bots on a server. 0 to disable, 1 to enable.

addbot
    Adds the specified bot to the game, type the command at console with no arguments to see template. Example: Addbot major 4 will add major to the game at skill level 4.

kick Use to remove a bot from the game. Example: kick major will remove the bot named major from the game

Advertisement