Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops, which n' why?

• 09-12-2003 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My GF has to get a laptop for college. Its uses are going to mainly report writing, presentation prep, word processing in general. AFAIK this will pretty much be it. She's not listening to me when I tell her she doesn't need a top of the line comp for this.

Anyway, she's bouncing around the place between macs and PCs. And then the various brands of PCs as well. She is looking to spend the guts of 2k and one of her principle concerns is weight, she's only a wee lass and will have to carry it in and out everyday.

Without resolving the age old Apple/PC debate once and for all, which one do you reckon she should go for. And if poss, why?
    Cheers E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

an apple coz they r just soo small n cool.she'll be able 2 write up all her reports and all on it 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

12" ibook

If i had the choice thats what id be getting, Girls as i know are more into the stylings of it.

Its a top notch lappie as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

personaly if i wanted a light weight lappy id go for a sony vivo cool looking and very light and well speced but for a price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if i had the cash i'd be out buying one of these puppies right now: Sony Viao TR1MP

Ultra portable, stylish (if you like that sort of thing) and the battery just keeps on going.

small enough to take anywhere, but not lacking in any departments at all, so no compromise on what you can do versus how easy it is to take with you.

the next time i have the cash for a laptop this will be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

compaq M300 is a good model. Not a high spec, but VERY small and light. Comes with a docking station for your CD\floppy drives.

have a look here: http://www.softwareandstuff.com/nb_CompaqM500.html

They are available in Dublin retail with a 1year warranty for about €650 including VAT.

Panasonic toughbook is another good laptop. A bit puny for it price PIII800 mobile CPU and costs about €2500! It comes with a choice of OS, 2kPro and XP Pro on 1st boot.

An ibook would be nice too, they are'nt the lightest though. Absoluley class machine, bulletproof OS and very cool looking.

id avoid Sony personally, nightmare when things go wrong and that seems to happen too often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It has to be the new 12" iBook G4.

Excellent battery life (up to 5 hours) - It's light !
    Looks way cool and can come with bluetooth and WiFi installed.

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Yeah go for the Mac, far more stable, i book is a great little chap, i'd go for the 15" though, and of course being a Mac its soooo cool.(and light!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

May I refer you to my reply here

Quote:

.... i'd go for the 15" though...

They only come in 12" and 14.1". The powerbook does 12" 15" and 17"

The 12" is perfect for putting in a backpack or bag, mind you the 14" is light enough to carry around too, but the 12" has better battery life . . . . ooooh decisions !!!

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Thanks tinky, thats the one i was thinking of. I'd still favour the bigger screen the 12" is quite small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by red vex
    an apple coz they r just soo small n cool.she'll be able 2 write up all her reports and all on it 2

It's a computer..... I would hope she could type stuff on it to be fair. Just remember compatability issues.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

It's a computer..... I would hope she could type stuff on it to be fair. Just remember compatability issues.

which issues are they?? The office software that comes in the box will save in word format if needed.

Posted by Lump:
    t's a computer..... I would hope she could type stuff on it to be fair. Just remember compatability issues.

MS Office is available for the Mac - Photoshop started life on the Mac and is now at version CS - Dreamweaver etc is on the Mac !! What compatibility issues are you talking about ?

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Don't know to be honest....

Just throwing it out there....... Na, I've had trouble using zips with Mac's and pc's and a few issues with different files etc. I'm sure its nothing to worry about, if its only documents she's using .

John

In reality the Mac has a way to go to be accepted as an alternative to the windows camp, but things are getting better !

The fact that Panther now comes as standard with X11 the possibilities are greater.

In the main though most "standard " apps available for the PC are represented on OSX in one form or other.

Believe it or not given that it's supposed to be a multimedia computer there is still no equivelant to Cooledit Pro which is an excellant app and unequalled IMO !

But thats the exception rather than the rule !

Tinky

Advertisement