Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended modem...?

• 09-12-2003 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm usiing IOLBB, with MacOSX10.2 - want to upgrade to panther, so need a replacement ot the Zyxel 630. I've given up on getting a repsonse from IOL or Zyxel to the problem.

Anway, I'm getting more that just the modem. (Special offer at dsl-warehouse)

I'm consdering either:
    D-Link DI-624 Broadband Wireless Router & D-Link DSL300G ADSL Ethernet Modem

or

Netgear WGR614 Wireless Broadband Router & Netgear DM602 ADSL Ethernet Modem

Both have a 4 port 10/100 switch. I don't have wireless at the minute, but it is likely I'll use it in the future. Anyway, both are at €188 (ex VAT and Delivery)

Firstly - any comments on the equipment? Is there something better for cheaper?

Seconding - what are dsl-warehouse.ie like to buy from? Are there cheaper places?

Ta,

Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by timod
    Hi all,

I'm usiing IOLBB, with MacOSX10.2 - want to upgrade to panther, so need a replacement ot the Zyxel 630. I've given up on getting a repsonse from IOL or Zyxel to the problem.

Anway, I'm getting more that just the modem. (Special offer at dsl-warehouse)
    I've never been impressed by "special offers" at dsl-warehouse.

If you like D-Link, try the D-Link DSL-604+ (It's only 22MB/s, not 54MB/s, but does your Mac support 54Mb/s anyway?). It's an "all in one" device, with DSL modem built in, and it's €90 cheaper than the dsl-warehouse combo.
    Firstly - any comments on the equipment? Is there something better for cheaper?
    The only real question is whether you want to pay a premium for 802.11G. If you're not likely to use it in the next 12 months, you'd be better off waiting and buying it at next years prices.
    Seconding - what are dsl-warehouse.ie like to buy from? Are there cheaper places?
    Amazon.co.uk will sell you the same ethernet modem and a linksys 802.11g router for about €215 including VAT and delivery (compared to almost €240 including VAT and delivery from dsl-warehouse). That's almost 10% less than dsl-warehouses "special offer".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I bought a DM602 from DSL Warehouse Tim, it's working away grand. I bought a WGT624 802.11g router off them shortly afterwards too, however it was faulty and I sent it back, and they've been pretty good about it. I'm looking to shift the Buffalo 802.11g bridge I got as a replacement if you want it. :)

adam

Advertisement