Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone doing anything with the 3.5Ghz licenses?

• 09-12-2003 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭

What is the story with the 3.5Ghz stuff?
    I would have thought that people like IBB would have been allover it but I cant seem to find any mention of it...
    I was told this in an email a few weeks ago

"Our 3.5 licences have just come through, & at the moment, we are doing radio planning. The spectrum that we were given does not permit us to provide Navini over it, but we are currently evaluating whether we could."

Ripwave would be the ideal option for me, but I would prefer not to have super-crappy pings.....
    Im in Marley Grange, anyone know what the pings are like there for Ripwave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by redoxan "Our 3.5 licences have just come through, & at the moment, we are doing radio planning. The spectrum that we were given does not permit us to provide Navini over it, but we are currently evaluating whether we could."
    You're not serious? 3.5GHz is 3.5GHz!

Don't tell me the gob****es in ComReg decided that Ripwave can't be classed as "Fixed Wireless", so it can't be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Is the 3.5GHz service for residential use? I would have thought that the companies are probably going to use this as their pipe feed across the country where they would then offer the usual 2.4Ghz to the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Is the 3.5GHz service for residential use? I would have thought that the companies are probably going to use this as their pipe feed across the country where they would then offer the usual 2.4Ghz to the customer.
    The whole point of the 3.5GHz spectrum allocation is to deliver local broadband in a 15KM radius from the transmitter. It will be licensed to allow higher power output than in the 2.4GHz spectrum (AFAIK).

It would be next to useless as a "pipe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag

Find out who got your local licence(s) as there are up to four licencees in the Big Cities. Then ask Comreg for details of the Residential and Business packages to be offered by the SUCESSFUL licencees in your area who got offered spectrum.

In order to get the licences they all Detailed what their residential and/or small business packages would be ....read the licence applications forms on the Comreg site from the late summer early autumn.

Those packages must be available over the licenced spectrum. They may use 5.8Ghz / 11Ghz / 26Ghz etc for the point to point links . Mind you, Eircom use their bit of 3.5Ghz for point to point and refuse to provide the service packages in their licence over the 3.5Ghz spectrum they got to. Comreg does nothing about that unless they are put under severe pressure.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Do you have any idea why the license would not permit the operation of RipWave? Once you have a halfway okay signal, pings on it should be around 50-70ms. Are ComReg afraid people might sit outside with their laptops using broadband, instead of enjoying the Internet using Vodafone GPRS at super-high-speed for just 10 euros per meg!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wireit

Does anyone know who these Budget Wireless people are ?
    Anyone know what plans the might have?

Has anyone got their contact details for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

I think the top comment about Navini is not entirely correct. There have been tenders sent out for various types of kit that we are looking into. Navini does fit into the plan (but they have to tender with some others that fill a certain NON LOS product offering).

There will be test kit up before the end of the year in Dublin - this is independant of the tenders - at least then we can see what the performance of the kits are. We have 12 months to roll out 7 cities - I can assure you that no minute has been wasted to get the various system up.

redoxan - who gave you that info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

do you want her actual name?

Yes - PM me. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The whole point of the 3.5GHz spectrum allocation is to deliver local broadband in a 15KM radius from the transmitter. It will be licensed to allow higher power output than in the 2.4GHz spectrum (AFAIK).

It would be next to useless as a "pipe".

Actually, digiweb in Louth are using the 5GHz spectrum to create a pipe from dundalk to dublin.

Engineer fella showed me the equipment - very small and neat. They're hoping to get a 72Mbps pipe on one connection hopping at drogheda. Dunno what they'll have in dublin though.

I thought it was interesting. Especially seeing as all they have at the moment is a 2Mbps line for their entire wireless broadband network. Hence its constantly pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well the info I started the thread with came straight from the Horses Mouth, if you will pardon the expression.

Perhaps if its not entirely true, IBB people shouldnt be telling it to people. :rolleyes:

Do you have an update on what exactly the situation is Chaz?

I am not sure exactly what was meant with her statement.

All I can say is that Navini has been asked to tender on a certain part of the 3.5GHz systems that we are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

hey - sorry to barge in but...

am I to take it from the previous exchange that Chaz might have something to do with IBB? If so, do you have any info on when the Phibsboro mast is going to be turned on? I mailed them a few weeks ago but all i got was that the mast is commissioned and customers will be contacted shortly. Question is how short is shortly :)

As ever, any info would be greatly appreciated.

C

Ye - Have something to do with IBB.

Phibsborough has taken a back seat simply because we are implementing changes on the network to accomodate the 3.5GHz and current network changes. The site was ready to be live a while ago - but the call was made to put it on hold to incorporate current changes.

Hang in there - it will be for the best once it goes live.

Phibs is actually being worked on as we speak. We are trying to do a temp solution that will hold out till the 3.5GHz deployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Cool :) Can't wait. If you need any advance testers just let me know ;)

Advertisement